Toy Klingon Disruptor upgrade mod

freelanceraz

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I got a toy disruptor as a gift a few years ago and decided to paint it. I applied the standard weathering techniques (dark paint wash and wipe for added detail, dry-brush silver paint for "scratches" etc). It looked alright but I could still tell that it was a toy. That bothered me but I let it go. Until about a week ago.

1Dis_LftSide.JPG
Here is the disruptor. You can see some of the weathering I've done. I'd already started to sand some of it off by the time I took this picture.

2Dis_RtSide.JPG
Here is the other side.

I'm pretty far with the build now but I am going to spread out my pictures over a few posts.

Here are more pictures of the build so far. I've only downloaded a few off my camera's card so more pictures are coming...

3Dis_BarrelTip.JPG

Here you can see I've been working on the tip of the barrel. I'm going for a ground metal look. I imagine the Klingon that owned this wanted to make his disruptor even more deadly. I used a flat file and some needle files.

4Dis_Trigger.JPG

You can see here how overboard I went on the dry-brushing. Also, you can see how I'm starting to work on sanding down the seams.

5Dis_BarrelTipDetail1.JPG

More detail on the tip of the barrel. I've added some more scratches with my needle files and I'm still going for that grinded metal look.

6Dis_RtSideBaseDetail1.JPG

Detail on the body of the disruptor. I'm starting to add dents using a Dremel 8220 and a rounded stone grinding bit.

More pics coming!

7Dis_LftBarrelTipDent1.JPG

Needle file and round file provided the scratches, grinding marks and dent on this side of the barrel tip.

8Dis_LftBarrelTipDent2.JPG

Added some dents with my rounded stone bit. Also, used a flat file to file down some of the corners.

9Dis_LftBaseDentDetail.JPG

More dents with the rounded stone bit. Good picture of that annoying speaker hole on the side. I will deal with that later.

10Dis_LftTrgtHumpDentDetail.JPG

I call this the targeting hump. I've added some denting. You can still see my heavy handed weather from before.

11Dis_RtTrgtHumpDentDetail.JPG

More Target hump dents.

12Dis_RtBaseDentDetail2.JPG

More dents! Those plugs though...

13Dis_PomelDentDetail.JPG

My thought here was that the butt of the disruptor has probably been used more that once to crack some skulls. I used the rounded stone bit.

14Dis_RtSideGluePlug.JPG

I'm dealing with the plugs! That is super glue in the process of drying. I was out of accelerant at the time. Feels like it took forever to dry.

I have a ton more pictures but I haven't gone through them yet. I'm working on it and will be back on soon with more updates.

15Dis_BarrelTipDents.JPG

Barrel tip detail. I kept messing with the dents with my rounded stone bit. I added some dents to the corners and deepened the big dent on this side. I also deepened some of the grooves and used a round file to add some different character to the grinding marks.

16Dis_GripPlug.JPG

I covered up the plugs on the grip with Bondo filler putty. I then sanded it down flush with the rest of the grip.

17Dis_HumpLftDents.JPG

I added more denting to the left side of the target hump. I also sanded off most of the horrible weathering I did.

18Dis_HumpRtDents.JPG

Right side of the target hump has more dents and less weathering. Yay.

19Dis_GripSeamGlue1.JPG

I used superglue to seal the seam on the grip.

20Dis_GripSeamGlue2.JPG

More grip. More seam. More superglue.

21Dis_GripSeamGlue3.JPG

Again.

22Dis_GripSeamGlue4.JPG

Again.

I'm almost current with my pictures. One maybe two more posts before this is up to date.

I've always liked this disruptor, and I love that you're telling a story with the intentional weathering this time around. Looking good so far!

I've always liked this disruptor, and I love that you're telling a story with the intentional weathering this time around. Looking good so far!

Thank you! I love this version of the disruptor. I think giving a prop, especially one as generic as a disruptor, a backstory is essential in order to bring the prop to life or at least gives me a way to justify my aesthetic choices.

Also, here are more pictures:

23Dis_WornTrigger.JPG

A good detail of the trigger. I decided the Klingon that owned this had used it so much the trigger was worn down. I used my rounded stone bit to provide the wear and tear.

25Dis_BodyPlugs1.JPG

Remember that super glue that was drying earlier? Well it dried and then I sanded it down using my needle files. Once it gets painted you won't even notice.

26Dis_BodyPlugs2.JPG

Same thing here.

27Dis_GripSeam.JPG

I sanded down the super glue on the grip seam here.

9Dis_LftBaseDentDetail.JPG29Dis_SpeakerHole.JPG

Before and after the liberal application of needle files, super glue and elbow grease. It's not perfect but I am happy with it.

30Dis_ButtDent.JPG

I added some more dents to the butt of the grip.

That's it. That's the build so far. Next step is prime and then paint and then weather! Yay!

I had to move this project down the list for awhile but it is back on my work table and I'm getting ready to work on it again. Last thing I did was hit it with a layer of primer so I will get it sanded up and start painting here pretty soon.

I did a toy conversion a few years ago. Fairly simple weathering job compared to yours. BRILLIANT, by the way.

What really helped it was drilling a small hole in the handle and a second one in the body. Then filling the cavities with liquid resin. It gave the disruptor a really satisfying heft.

Either way, excellent work here.

Cheers,

Ted.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back