T'is the season! Luke's Holiday Special lightsaber!

Did you make that box from scratch? that looks incredible.
Yeah Halliwax and I stared at it for a couple of hours yesterday and I modeled it up. There’s still some guesswork and I can’t reconcile a couple of places between photos but I think it’s probably the closest thing so far. I’m up for changes if it looks off to anyone.

So yeah halliwax super surprised me with a "Life Day" present a couple of days ago. I was not expecting it at all and honestly never really wanted one...until I saw it in person in all its hideous glory. This thing perfectly represents the holiday special in its entirety. A cheap, cobbled-together hack job of something better. It's so ugly it's beautiful! Danny had done some initial measurements and a really close 3D model of the box, but now having a somewhat better look at it from this ESB shot, we met up over a web meeting to hash out the details and figure out what we were seeing. There's still some guess work obviously but it's getting closer. This thing HAS to be a found part, but I am completely baffled by what it could be.
So yeah if enough people want one to make it worth it to do a mini run, I'll throw them up in my shop. The kit would include the box (1 piece) and the decals. I'm using brushed aluminum on mine as a test which isn't accurate. I'm 99% sure it was just hand cut mylar tape so I'll get some adhesive foil that is chrome silver.

Last edited:
I think the box part is ok, the pyramid thing on top ..... not so much.
Cool. Show me what you think it is. After staring at it for hours yesterday, playing with 3D models and overlaying it on top of all reference pics trying to find something that matched on all angles, that's what it looked like to me. Mine may be a bit too tall compared to some reference but in the ESB shot it lines up really well so it's hard to tell. But I definitely see a trapezoid there.
There's another piece that goes on the end that I'm printing up now. Maybe it'll make more sense then. But yeah I very well could be completely wrong so I'm happy to hear alternatives.

Here's why I think that. The gray piece is what is missing from mine but makes all the other angles make sense.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Screen Shot 01-13-19 at 01.06 PM.PNG
Screen Shot 01-13-19 at 01.07 PM.PNG

Last edited:
Cool. Show me what you think it is. After staring at it for hours yesterday, playing with 3D models and overlaying it on top of all reference pics trying to find something that matched on all angles, that's what it looked like to me. Mine may be a bit too tall compared to some reference but in the ESB shot it lines up really well so it's hard to tell. But I definitely see a trapezoid there.
There's another piece that goes on the end that I'm printing up now. Maybe it'll make more sense then. But yeah I very well could be completely wrong so I'm happy to hear alternatives.

Here's why I think that. The gray piece is what is missing from mine but makes all the other angles make sense.
View attachment 976844 View attachment 976845 View attachment 976846 View attachment 976847 View attachment 976848 View attachment 976850 View attachment 976851

I think you're spot on with that grey piece, and I was planning to mock up a 3d model to show you how I interpreted it...but now I don't have to!

I do think that the new grey part is on both ends of the pyramid, and I don't see the countersunk areas that you do. It looks like the screw(s) is/are set off to the side of the grey part, not sunk into a coffer beneath it, if that makes sense. The front end of the grey bit doesn't look as steeply chamfered as you have it either – in some images, it even looks vertical, so that's probably how I'd do it.

OK so you think there's no recessed piece and that there are 4 screws total?
Agreed about the angle. Some look like it's rounded off. Others look like a chamfer, some like a full ramp, and others even like a half circle.
EDIT:
Like this?
Screen Shot 01-13-19 at 03.39 PM.PNG

And then this one makes it look like it's just a ramp / full chamfer
Screen Shot 01-13-19 at 03.46 PM.PNG

and I definitely see a chamfer here
Screen Shot 01-13-19 at 03.59 PM.PNG

Last edited:
I think you're spot on with that grey piece, and I was planning to mock up a 3d model to show you how I interpreted it...but now I don't have to!

I do think that the new grey part is on both ends of the pyramid, and I don't see the countersunk areas that you do. It looks like the screw(s) is/are set off to the side of the grey part, not sunk into a coffer beneath it, if that makes sense. The front end of the grey bit doesn't look as steeply chamfered as you have it either – in some images, it even looks vertical, so that's probably how I'd do it.

Here's a quick mockup 3d printed piece.
Man I think you nailed it. That makes all of the angles match up way better. Thanks. Now I can’t unsee it lol!
4FD324D7-3340-4612-AD9D-3CA3BF3AFB6B.jpeg

33486DF5-2EA7-431B-A131-6ADD3D533ACF.jpeg

082809C9-C590-43DA-A66F-0F2D688A3CE1.jpeg

011C2AEC-D89E-4213-85E6-F401F886B085.jpeg

0CAF12CA-3658-45D9-81CB-0885731D02E9.jpeg

C0E2F036-0ED8-4F67-82F7-56B4641B9DCF.jpeg

2C3296DD-F7CF-4CC1-9B4E-5BDF7E15C4F6.jpeg

Last edited:
New one looks much better.
Still not 100%, but way better. Can´t point out what i think is still "off", it´s more of a feeling than knowing (and i learned over the years to trust that, most of the time the feeling was right in the end).

But your close now.

Freak’n missed all the action here this weekend

Trent and I have been talking the past few nights. He really unlocked that’s on top of this thing

I was confused on why the top of the box changes

But then when he realized what we were actually seeing, I now see it in all the pics

“definitely” 2 screws! Once trent revealed to me the screw setup, it all totally clicked and made sense

Wicked excited about this!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back