The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

I'm not worried about ABS Tees breaking, just sag over time. You can see a bit of sag and bend on the Ladd Y. Of course this could be due to bad repairs. I know short term they'll be fine, but I'd like my models to still look good when my great-grandchildren inherit them!

Fortunately I have a mill so modifying G scale railroad track shouldn't be that big of a deal, al least on the first model (I'm building three). After that, I'll probably just say "F' it!" and go with ABS!

I know nothing about the G scale railroad but the first search on Google shows me a track at $206 for 1.5 meter.... Is that normal price for those?
Maybe if we can 25 persons for yoour earlier solution.... :)

I'm not worried about ABS Tees breaking, just sag over time. You can see a bit of sag and bend on the Ladd Y. Of course this could be due to bad repairs. I know short term they'll be fine, but I'd like my models to still look good when my great-grandchildren inherit them!

Fortunately I have a mill so modifying G scale railroad track shouldn't be that big of a deal, al least on the first model (I'm building three). After that, I'll probably just say "F' it!" and go with ABS!

That is probably for a pack of 20 lengths. I found it for $175 a pack. You'll get 4 finished struts per 1500mm length, so that's 10 models per pack of 20... $17.50 (plus tax, shipping and then machining costs) per model. Starts becoming reasonable at that point.

If someone wanted to spearhead this option, you have my blessing... my hands are full!

BTW - I came up with a strut length of 13.474". I made a flat seat on the cast shroud that allows for about 1/4" of strut attachment. Of course if you want to go with 1/8" that fine too. I just like a little more gluing surface considering how easy it will be to bump accidentally.

Last edited:
This is almost ready for purchase! I will have more info soon, like PRICE.

I think they will be sold in dozen packs.

13872996_1175405312482288_155156463142719268_n.jpg

REPOSITORY UPDATE!

Maxhebus' 3D printing files for the engine connector with fins have been uploaded to the repository as an alternative to scratch building the assembly from Plastruct tube and sheet plastic. There are STL and STP files, all zipped together in a file called:

Engine Connector Files

Here's the link for the repository:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0BwDa06cjX-frNFY2d25BR0R5RUU

Stephane , many thanks for contributing to this Open source project!

Last edited:
Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

I'm so in. :)

This is almost ready for purchase! I will have more info soon, like PRICE.
I think they will be sold in dozen packs.

View attachment 651636

- - - Updated - - -

My pleasure. :)
Just need confirmation from Julien or others for the length. I've used the Mr Ladd version as ref.
REPOSITORY UPDATE!

Maxhebus' 3D printing files for the engine connector with fins have been uploaded to the repository as an alternative to scratch building the assembly from Plastruct tube and sheet plastic. There are STL and STP files, all zipped together in a file called:

Engine Connector Files

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...FY2d25BR0R5RUU

Is there a general consensus on how many of these engine casting assemblies y'all would want per "set"? 10, 12, baker's dozen?

REPOSITORY UPDATE!

Engine Connector Files

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...FY2d25BR0R5RUU

Hi, Im getting a 404 error on this link.

Joe

You need more to make the resin engines used on every Y wings (but Red Jammer). Dont remember exactly, it was 12 or so If you trim the parts perfeectly and use the right leftovers at the right places which could be possible If you spend a good load of time in the planning to not do any mistake. 15 plant-ons is a reasonable number to be sure you wont discover when you glue the last parts that those left overs have been trimmed too short.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and you need more as some of the left overs are also used on the body

Can you show us what we are missing? Craig counted 10...

engine_copy.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

We could do it in sets of 15, it just makes the price go up a little. Not a big deal.

Do you builders want to pay a little extra and have extras in case you make mistakes?

Link fixed to Repository.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 651860

- - - Updated - - -

We could do it in sets of 15, it just makes the price go up a little. Not a big deal.

Do you builders want to pay a little extra and have extras in case you make mistakes?

I'm good with just the number needed.

View attachment 651860

- - - Updated - - -

Those are pictures of Red Jammer... The number is probably right for this one.
I was talking about the engines used on the other Ys.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back