The Wilhelm scream. Can it die already?

Egon Spengler

Master Member
I know, I know.. .it's a big part of film history. But I'm so tired of hearing it. It's in every film I see just about.

Anyone else feel it needs to go?

Yup. Totally agreed. It's to the point of getting annoying as hell. + that sound of kids laughing that is ALSO in every movie... (if anyone don't know the sound, it is used in SW ep1 when those kids run to see Anakin working on the pordracer) I effing hate it.

Retire them please... big-time.

Yup. Totally agreed. It's to the point of getting annoying as hell. + that sound of kids laughing that is ALSO in every movie... (if anyone don't know the sound, it is used in SW ep1 when those kids run to see Anakin working on the pordracer) I effing hate it.

Retire them please... big-time.

I couldn't seem to find this clip on youtube. :/ I was curious to hear the stock laugh, as I think I know what you're talking about, I jyst can't seem to remember it.

Apparently even Ben Burtt agrees. He has stopped using it, and even removed all copies of it from Skywalker Sound. They had to get it again on their own by downloading it from the Wilhelm Scream page, which was deliberately of poor quality. So they only use it when it's presented as coming from a TV or video game, which they do a lot for The Simpsons.

I guess for Ben it wasn't fun anymore when his own in-joke was being done by everybody.

Yeah I bet that was the last time Ben shared an inside joke. I'm just waiting for Hasbro to release a stormtrooper with a Wilhelm scream button.

Fine, go suck the fun out of it.

Why do you have to focus on it so much?

It's a brief second in a film.

And those that have only now discovered it now would miss out.

I only recently informed my daughter of it and now she gets a kick out of hearing it.

Don't take away the fun for others because YOUR tolerance is gone.

You enjoyed it for years, please allow others to do the same.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back