New Official Boba Fett Details #3 Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Art Andrews, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Now that we are on a new server (thanks SO MUCH GUYS!!!) and I know this thread won't just randomly vanish like the last one did, I am ready to get back down to business on Fett. Our last collaborative effort, the chest display, has been a smash hit! Let's keep it going! What would you like to see us work on next? I have a long list myself but I would be interested to hear what everyone else wants... Well, that is is. Board is open. Thread is open. Fire away!!!

2. natty15d

natty15d Well-Known Member

Hi Braks

Id like to see work carried out on putting together

1. Details on cloth items eg. jumpsuit etc
    2. Jetpack details & dimensions with fixing details.
    3. Gauntlet details & dimensions.

Nathan [​IMG]

3. Art Andrews

Natty, check out the link below for a thread on the AYW concerning th jumpsuit. It is my first attempt to gain info about the cloth parts of the costume. I will be researching this more and more as the end of the year nears as I would like to place an order with Katarra at the 1st of the year. http://pub82.ezboard.com/fasyouwishfrm5.showMessage?topicID=24.topic

I am working with several people right now to get accurate gauntlets built. I am hoping to have at least a crude outline by Feb. BTW, I haven't forgotten about all of you who want casts of the Dental Expander and Calculator. I am lookign at having two different people cast them. One will be casting them in resin and the other will be looking at casting them in metal!

As far as the jetpack goes, well, I am waiting on someone to finish theirs before I invest any research into one of my own...

4. Boba Phett

Boba Phett New Member

I would like to do gauntlets next and maybe the ESB cape. I know you have a good ROTJ cape tutorial. Using your ROTJ cape dimensions as a guideline, start an ESB cape active project. On other fronts, I have drawn up prints for the ASB-rods and gauntlet darts. These drawings have been forwarded to a source for production. Hopefully I can get the prototypes soon. I'll offer these items to interested board members.
    Items I'd like to cover prioritized.
    1.Gauntlets
    2.Capes ESB/ROTJ
    3.Jetpack
    Formerly, Lord of all that is Fett now-> Boba Phett
    -Mark

5. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Braks,do you still want to do the survival knife project? With the new board,perhaps we could kick it off here.

Steve

6. Art Andrews

Steve, absolutely!!! Sounds good to me! Are we ready to go with this? Go ahead and post the info if you would like. I can post pics.

7. Boba Fett 1138

Boba Fett 1138 New Member

Hey Brack,

Nice to see most all the cool persons have made
    it here to the new board.
    I made my first incarnation of my Fett suit way back in 80.
    So I think Im a bit of a Fett expert.
    And as to the gauntlets.
    I have in my colection a set of origanal gauntlets that a friend of mine in England got me . I used these in making mine.
    I had to size them up to fit me because they were too small around to fit my own forearms .( Im not as thin as Jeremy B )
    As to the fett cloth parts ,the ones sold by Kattara
    ( Kathy is a old friend of mine ),
    the patterns she uses is off my cloth bits and my reaserch I gave her, as well as some modifications she and I came up with from wearing mine in real world situations.
    On the helmet & back pack ,I have pics taken of a origanal set
    of armor that a friend working for don post way back in 1979 took.
    These pics show the inside of the helmet ,and these pics prove that the helmet WAS vac- formed , As was the chest armor
    and most of the rest of the armor.

They at the time were aproched about doing a BF helmet , but they basicly said , he only has a few lines not enough to invest in spending the $$ in making a mask to sell of a guy who`s in so little of the film. LOL
    If they onlk KNEW!!
    so if you have any questions I might be able to anser them

Max

8. Art Andrews

Boba Fett 1138.. I am speechless... You will have an email shortly.

9. motorfish

motorfish Well-Known Member

I know who Boba Fett 1138 is, and believe me when I say that his info is completely credible.

10. Art Andrews

Thanks Motorfish. This is by far the most exciting news to hit the Boba Fett scene in a long time.... I have been able to think about little else all morning... This is SO exciting!!! This is the kind of thing you dream of hearing!!!

11. Glitch

Glitch New Member

Hi Max,

Thanks for the info - every little bit helps. I agree, I think the earlier helmets were vacuumed, but the ROTJ helmet has me stumped in a few places.
    It is nice to hear another person voice this opinion.

I hope you can post those pics! In two weeks, I am going to get the dimmensions of a vacuumed helmet that one of my old college teachers "obtained" while working in the costume and prop department at ILM in the early to mid 80's.

12. Art Andrews

As many of you may remember, a while back, I posted my discovery of the source for the keypad on Fett's left gauntlet. Well, I finally got a Casio MQ-1 (let me tell ya, those things are RARE!!!) but I couldn't get it apart. It has a lid that flips down over the keypad to protect the buttons when you are not using it and the lid was in the way. Well, to make a long story short, I finally figured out how to get the calc apart without breaking it and I removed the lid. I scanned the calc in this morning without the lid and discovered some shocking details that indictae the keypad on Fett's gauntlet is real, not a cast copy of the calc keypad. How do I know? Check out the 2nd pic below. Look in the two rectangular holes at the top of the keypad. See those curved pieces? There are two on the right hand side and one on the left. Those are actually pieces of the electronic board that is behind the keypad! You can clearly see them on my calc as well.

Anyway, I will hopefully be sending the calc off to be cast soon. I just need to work out a few details with the guy who is casting it. Here are a couple of pics. In the second pic the top half is the MoM keypad and the bottom half is my Casio. The strange yellow spikes on the pic of my Casio is a screw-up from the calc's reflection...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Ok,here goes with the "Survival Knife project"

Braks Buddy has re-designed the DP survival knife to blueprinted exacting specs of the top of an authentic Patterson Chemical Stir Stick,and a bottom of the survival knife.Our project is to have this item machined out of 3/16" aluminum for a nice metal prop.I have contacted a local machine shop and got some prices.To keep costs at a rate that will keep this item in a range worth producing for us and the machine shop some basic work will be required of anyone who should like to get one.As it stands the cost per "survival knife" would be around $20-25 dollars plus shipping.The only work that will be required to finish off the knife would be for the scalloped edge of the blade to be cut which could easily be done with a scroll saw,jig saw,or dremel,or by hand if you had a lot of time [​IMG] ,and the top to be beveled which could be simply sanded with 220 then 400 grit to the proper bevel.Reason being that it would need to be done by the individual,is that the machine shop would need to do this part by hand as well,and as we all know,a hand crafted peice is very expensive,and machine shop makes that well known.We need to get at least 25 people on board for this to happen,so if any of you would like to have a nice "Survival knife" for your Fett costume post here and we can try to get this project rolling.Braks Buddy will post the awesome pics of the blueprinted knife,however PLEASE keep in mind that the product will have to be finished by each of you to put the scalloped edge on your knife,and bevel the top.Thats all the info. I've got for now [​IMG] Take it away Braks.

I should also mention that an exact copy of the blueprint will be sent along with each knife to use for reference,and can double as a template for the scalloped edge.

Steve

14. Art Andrews

Here are some pics from DL 44's knife!

This is a real Paterson Stir Stick (painted silver). This is the actual found item used on Fett's suit.
    [​IMG]

This is Don Post's interestingly designed and funtional looking but horribly inaccurate version of the same item.
    [​IMG]

Here is the blueprint we came up with using Don Post's Design but the dimesions from the Paterson stir stick. The part that sticks out of the pocket will look exactly like the one seen on the movie suit.
    [​IMG]

Here is a 3D Modeled shot of the composite knife.
    [​IMG]

So, what does everyone think?

15. Spheric Thor

Spheric Thor Well-Known Member

Survival knife looks great, add me to the list.

Chris

16. motorfish

motorfish Well-Known Member

I like it!

17. Boba Fett 1138

Hey Brack,

the prop replica he made looks good.
    but as to the DP being wrong,
    I`m confused .
    Did U mean the overall shape or the badly spaced oval slots in it ?
    I mean U never get to see the rest of the knife
    in his leg pouch.
    So whos to say the 3 curved shapes in it are wrong.
    LOL I just left mine strait with no shape on it at all
    since you dont ever se the rest of it .
    And I got tired of the round top scuffing my shin so when i made my aluminum one I just made it with a right
    angle bent in the top & the front edge curved.

Max

18. SgtFang

SgtFang Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Hey'ya Max! Glad to have you on the new board. Thanks again for the kudos way back on the Klingon Back Scales! What do you think of Jango so far?

-Sarge

19. Art Andrews

Max, I meant the holes, and dimensions being wrong when compared to the paterson squeegee. If you put the DP into the shin pocket what you would see sticking above the edge of the pocket would loosely resemble what was seen in the film but it sure wouldn't match up. What we tried to do here is do with the overall Don Post design but use the correct dimensions and the exact shape of the paterson squeegee so the part you see sticking above the pocket will look exactly like what you see in the film but you will still have the cool knife blade at the other end.

As far as cutting off or bending back part of the rounded top so it doesn't cut into your leg... I have thought about this quite a number of times. If you quickly dropped to one knee you cut really whack your shin with that sharp edge of the rounded top. There is ONE picture in the Chronicles in which it looks like they might have shaved down the backside of the circle, but it could just be shadow and there are no other photos to substantiate it. However, for saftey and comfort sake I do think it is a good idea...

20. Boba Fett 1138

DUH,
    the light bulb has come on!
    I know what you mean now !

For those reasons , falling getting kicked in the shin by some young fan ,....
    It happened to me belive it or not ! Not to mention getting sluged in the stomough by another kid, he hurt him self on my 1/4 thick solid stryene chest armor LOL !
    That is why i made that shin tool of mine with just the right angle bend with the front curved in it.

I did tho make all my leg pouch tools of alumium.
    I will send you pics of them if you would like but i dont have a place to post them on the net .

I feel if it was made of metal , and you have the resources to do it of metal and wont endanger yourself or others in wearing
    it on your costume at a con,..
    Then do it in metal.

Along those lines ,I made my boot spikes blunted off so the LOOK pointed but are realy have allmost a 3/16 " flat on the tip of the boots .
    safer to walk in crouds at a con that way.

Max

21. Art Andrews

Hey Max, send me the pics and I'll be glad to post them for you! My addy is: zorak@bellsouth.net

22. Boba Fett 1138

Thanks Brack,

I`ll get the pics & e mail them to you in a few days
    Max

23. Art Andrews

I recently sent several of my picture from MoM to the RIT dye company. If you send RIT a color sample they will tell you what combination of dyes to mix to match the color. They were a bit nervous about trying to match from pictires but I sent many of my MoM pics so they could see the girth in different lighting conditions. Here is their reply on what colors to use to attain the RotJ color. I'll bet the comnbination will suprise you especially considering this is the RotJ girth.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Try the following recipe. Comparing to all of the photos you provided,
    this recipe is the most compatible.

Powder RIT
    1 package Dark Brown
    1 Tablespoon Wine

Liquid RIT
    1/2 cup Dark Brown
    1/4 cup Wine
    -------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to give this a try sometime this week and will post the results as soon as I am done...

24. Art Andrews

Over the weekend I visited DeanO and we took several pictures of his DP Dlx. I have never held a DP Dlx before and was suprised at all the pitting (like badly rusted metal) on the helmet. It was obvously part of the weathering even though DP couldn't always seem to get the paint "scratches" to line up with the physical pits. I had never seen this in pictures of the DP Dlx or on the real helmets so as soon as I got back home (only a 6 hour drive) I checked the pics I took of Dean's helmet to those from AoSW and MoM. Although many believe the pitting is from the real helmet and only the shoddy dremel marks were done by DP I can find NO evidence of this type pitting on the real helmets. Of course, if the real helmets are reinforce vacumform as we suspect it is, this wouldn't be suprising... Looks like DP put a LOT of time into the pitting... Makes you wonder what else they spent time "improving." Check the pics below for details.

[​IMG]

25. cking

cking Sr Member

Hi Braks,

I agree with you on this. When I went to the Art of Star Wars exhibition here in England and pressed my nose against the glass with the ESB Fett helmet behind it, there was NO pitting or surface damage to the helmet with the exception of the forehead dent and the crack along the left hand side of the visor. I'm sure that all that surface pitting on the Don Post DLX was added by them to satisfy Lucasfilm's request for changes. [​IMG]

Chris.

26. Mandalorian

Mandalorian New Member

27. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

Hi Guys. In an exchange with Braks recently he stated there was some interest in the original expander for Fett's gauntlet. With those that I have collected for my Vader reveal project I have gotten certain ones which are the correct style with the exception of the center boss. As is the case with the reveal, the correct ortho block for Fett's gauntlet has a round/oval shaped center boss. Presently I have three extras that have the correct framework but with a drum-shaped center boss. I could retrofit the center boss with an oval-shaped screw from smaller expanders that I have and that would make for a 95% accurate design or I could offer them as they are and you could mill the drum shape down to an oval. Since neither version would be 100% precise I couldn't justify a charge for them, but they are Glenross screws and after being painted over it's not likely at all that the difference would even be noted. I have three of these available and for anyone who's interested just send me an e-mail. I'd post pics here but I don't post them often enough to warrant the expense for a photo-hosting account. I can forward pics in an e-mail if you're interested.

Rgs,
    James

28. Glitch

Glitch New Member

Excellent! I'm now an official member of the Casio MQ-1 club. The best part is it only took me 1 day! Actually, the best part really is it cost me a whopping $7.00. You gotta love those sleazy little thrift stores!

BB,

I can't thank you enough for the info! It was a great find!

29. Art Andrews

Guess what! After MONTHS of dying I think I have something pretty close to the RotJ girth!!! I used 1 part SCARLET and 2 parts COCOA BROWN RIT dye (powder form) and came out with what I think is something pretty darn close. Many people think the girth is JUST cocoa brown but I think there is more red in it than that. Once dyed, the girth may need to be laid out in the sun to bleach JUST A LITTLE to get the correct color. There is almost and orange tint in the belt when you view it in person although it doesn't seem to show up in any of the pics... Now if I can only find the correct girth again!

30. purple sith

purple sith New Member

Hi there fellow Fetts,

I'm a bit of a Newbie to the forum, this is my 1st post!
    I wanted to introduce myself and say hi! I'm over in the UK, and have a fett suit made up from various sources that I've been trying to perfect for the last 3 years, and hopefully i'll be able to pick up enough hints and stuff around here to get make it better:)

Look forward to chatting to you guys more in the coming months,

Jools

31. Art Andrews

Welcome purple sith! If you have any pics of your sotume we would LOVE to see them!!!

32. purple sith

purple sith New Member

Hi Braks, thanks for the welcome [​IMG]

I have a few pics of my suit that were taken earlier this year at a con in Birmingham that I attended with the rest of the guy's from the UK Garrison.
    You can see them at:

http://ezprints.mye-pix.com/PhotoShareddologin.asp?SC=sulaco&ID=41429

The helmet is a recast DP DLX, most of the armor came from Mark B and Richie, as did a lot of cloth parts and accessories. The Boots are Mark Chengs and the jump suit I had made by a friend of mine. I recently ordered a pair of Shelbys fantastic looking gloves which I can't wait to recieve! Still got some way to go (especially after reading some of the stuff on the forums!) but hopefully I'll get there!

Later

Jools

33. Hammerhead

Hammerhead New Member

Jools, is something up with your photo album? I'm clicking on the thumbnails to bring up a higher-res version, but it just stares back at me.

Am I doing something wrong? I'd love to see those pics...

34. Mannie Bothans

Mannie Bothans Well-Known Member

Oh Glitch, you really know how to make a fellow feel sick, you don't even wanna know how much I paid for the one I gave to BB. Man, congrats!

jme3, I'd love to see some pics if those aren't already spoken-for! SergeantTK1028@aol.com

BTW, does anybody have a web account that can host some mpegs? I've got some footage comparing the DP dlx to the MoM helmet and showing the three squares under the left gaunt just like it shows in the chronicles.

35. purple sith

purple sith New Member

hmmm, your right, it does look like there's something up with my album :/ Wierd, there shouldn't be.
    I'll try and see if I can sort that out.

later

Jools

36. Art Andrews

Guys, I STRONGLY recommend you take JME3 up on this offer. These are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find!!!

37. Spheric Thor

Spheric Thor Well-Known Member

JME3 I am interested in one of the expanders. Can you email me some pics. I tried send you an email, but the address you have didn't work.

thanks,

Chris

chris_alan@msn.com

38. Art Andrews

Found out something else of interest from my new pics. A lot of people (inclusing me thought the backplate butted up to the neckplate and a strip of plastic or cloth was glued underneath the two to join them. This is NOT the case. The backplate slides under the neckplate for about one inch. Every indication points to the shoulder bolts holding the two pieces together.

39. Hammerhead

Hammerhead New Member

JME3, I'd like one of those expanders, if there are any left.

I'll email you...

40. Hammerhead

Hammerhead New Member

So Braks, does that mean that Dean O's machined neck armor squares might be the way to go?

I missed out on buying some recently. Maybe we could persuade (read: beg) Dean O to do a run, if there is some interest?

41. purple sith

purple sith New Member

thats how I've attached my back plate. I lined up the collar and back then drilled through them both, then got some butterfly bolts and encased the nut in resin with aluminum powder in it to make the shoulder bolts which I'd sculpted up. I secured the screw through the back plate, and they just pop up through the holes in the collar where I screw down the bolts to secure it all [​IMG]

42. Art Andrews

Dean's bolts are awesome. They need to be filed down a bit to give them the soft, rounded edges of the real things (which are resin and I imagine they were built much like purple sith built his) but other than that I definitely think they are the way to go!

43. Glitch

Glitch New Member

Are his bolts accurate in size? If so, I would be in for another run.

44. Hammerhead

Hammerhead New Member

Well, they look to be pretty * close if they aren't. Plus, you have the added bonus of all metal construction--durable and easy weathering.

Cripe. I sound like a salesman. [​IMG]

45. purple sith

purple sith New Member

if I can ever get my photo album to work properly I'll post some close up shots of how I did mine. They're incredibly secure!
    On a similar subject, does any one do other metal bits like knee darts and rocket pack accesories? Mine are resin and look a bit, well, shoddy [​IMG]

Jools

46. Hammerhead

Hammerhead New Member

Funny you should ask.

Dean O has done knee darts and jetpack beacons in the past. Machined from aluminum and tapped with secure fasteners. Works of art.

47. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

Hi guys. Further to the expander offering, the three extras that I had have all been spoken for. I wish that I had more to offer but those were the last of the ones that would be close enough to use. I do have other extras but they're of completely different designs and wouldn't be acceptable. Best of luck to you all with your Fett efforts, though!

Regards,
    James/JME3

48. Dean O

Dean O Well-Known Member

"Every indication points to the shoulder bolts holding the two pieces together."

Well duuuh!!! What, do you think I just pulled that one out of my butt or something!?! [​IMG]

I'll be doing more collar knobs for sure. Just give me a few months to get caught up on the current jobs I have. I may be able to get them sooner but can't promise. As for the jetpack, knee darts, etc. just email me.

Later

49. Art Andrews

Man, those things have pretty sharp corners!!! I sure hope you didn't pull 'em out of your butt! That would have been EXTREMELY painful!!!

50. Dean O

Dean O Well-Known Member

Hey, watch it, quit talkin about my butt!!

I do need to soften the egdes of those nuts a bit don't I? I'll do that to the next ones. BTW, could you send a few small pics of the real ones my way?