REF PICS OF THE AT-AT

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by KAIBURR, Feb 20, 2002.

1. KAIBURR

KAIBURR Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the scales were for the various AT-ATs made? I know they made a large one for the "falling down" bits but am interested to learn it's size and scale (1/24, 35, ect.)

Nathan
    nkhyber@aol.com

PS Steve, hows the AT-AT revisited project coming? Would love to see pictures!

2. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

I'm not sure about what the scales were..I'd have to look that up in the Chronicals book,or in an old Cinefex issue to see if they say anything...but I think they used 3 different sizes(scales)...a really tiny one...roughly an inch in height,another about 18-24 inches in height...and then a large 3-4ft scale in height for crashing/toppling and for pyrotechnics.Im not sure if there were others used..probably were,but i dont rember.

3. KAIBURR

John,

No, you are correct. Three sizes were all and the Chronicles book does give the dimensions but never scale information. I think it's probably gonna kill me but the big one is something I think I'm going to tackle after the AT-ST. It's going to cost me a fortune in both time and money, but it must be done! I know people who've built the 18 incher, and one guy who did a large one for his action figures, but the proportion were a lot like the Kenner toy (he must've referenced that). Anyone with photos of the large AT-AT? Usually the one seen in the travelling exhibits is the fallen one. HELP!

Nathan
    nkhyber@aol.com

4. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Hey Nathan....looks like you have yur hands full!Its tough to decide what ships/vehicals to do first.There are so many,but ya gottta do 1 at a time.I did look in the Chronicals and all that was given were dimensions,no scales....so you are correct.If ya know the math conversion,you could get a scale from it......but why bother unless you really want to know?I seem to remember some time ago a calculator offered in an advertisement in Fine Scale Modeler&other modeling magazines that would do scale conversions for you by just plugging in numbers.
    On a second note......and maybe Mark F. can help?I am exhausting my search for more/better reference pictures for current/future projects.I have 2 Chronicals books(1 in Japanese I bought years ago,Art of Star Wars books,Star Wars to Indiana Jones& a ships&vehicals book for reference).I was wondering where I could get more pics of the Falcon,and of the SlaveI?Tim's web page has pictures of his SlaveI project surrounded by really nice reference photos,and I was wonding if I could get/purchase any for the SlaveI pictures and more importantly,the Falcon if available?I cant find any Star Wars reference pictures on pcmodeler.com.The Chronicals has great pictures,but I need more info/input for drawing up prints....if anyone can help......I'd much appreciate it-John

5. KAIBURR

John,

The reason I am so concerned with the scale of vehicles is that I always do the interiors (with figures)and it's super cool to display them together and have the scales apply. I am a 1/24 scale buff, so it would be great if ILMs model was in this scale so I could maybe find many of the parts they used (this saves so much time and looks better). I will have a helluva lotta snowtroopers to cast as well, and if the scale is wrong, my interior will be rubbish. Kapeesh? As for the reference shots of the Slave, ect. (you should post that question on that thread) I really have no idea, but the Action Figure Archive book by Sansweet has a * shot of its underside on page 69.

Nathan

6. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Thats cool nathan...I wish I could do something to help you more,but,I'd be grasping at straws.I think thats is awsome that you go the extra mile&install interiors for yur finished studio models..not many people will do that.If there is anything I can do to offer more help,by all means give me a holler,and I'll do the best I can.I wish ya all the luck,and maybe when ya get the chance...perhaps post some pics of yur projects either finished,or "in progress" pics..I'd really love to see them.Me on the other hand,I'm struggling with drawing acurate prints of the Falcon,my drafting skills shall we say are'nt as good as my building skills....go figure-LOL!Till next time,John

7. EchoLeader

EchoLeader Well-Known Member

Well, I thought I'd dust this one off and bring it up to the front again since I'm working on an AT-AT myself.

First off I've started with a FANTASTIC! resin kit produced by a very talented fellow from the great white North. As I can never leave well enough alone I decided to use original kit bashed parts where I could and thus thought I'd toss a list on here for any future modelers that may want to take on this subject.

Here's a list of the donor kits that were used on the 24 x 53 x 48 cm version.

Tamiya - 1/35 Chieftain Mk.5
    Tamiya - 1/35 T34/76 1942 Production Model
    Tamiya - 1/35 German 20mm Flakvierling 38
    Tamiya - 1/35 M-16 U.S. Multiple Gun Motor Carriage
    Tamiya - 1/35 German 4-wheeled Armored Car Sd.Kfz.222
    Airfix - 1/24 Harrier Jet
    Airfix - 1/144 Apollo Saturn V Rocket

That's all I have for now. If I find other donor kits or if anyone else does, please chime in.

Thanks,

Rolando

8. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

IIRC the morse Karl (Thor) is used as well.

9. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Is it just me or are there different versions of the walker in the same scale. For example the refernce pics I took at the MOM last summer look exacly like the pics on the starship modeler site. But if you look closely at that model there are a lot of differences wityh that model and the one most of us remeber, the head is a little bigger (both height and width), the lower portions of the legs have an angled cut when coming into the knee joint, the feet are bit "thicker", amogst other things. The model was approximately 20ish inches high which is about the same scale as I've heard talked about here, but there are a lot of details that are just plain different.

What do you guys think?

Jedi Dade

10. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

I'm building a AT-AT right now so I have spent the last months with my nose close to all the pics I could find. There simply isn't one walker that looks exactly like the other. Just look at the small side guns, they were very often differently detailed although built in the same scale. They were also differently painted, some have smooth finish while others have a much more textured surface.

Steve.

11. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Kinda makes it diffucult to say what a studio scale replica really is then isn't it. For example the SMT AT-AT took a lot of heat for being inaccurate - and it is I'm not going to defend that - but it is proportioanlly similar to "some" of the studio AT-ATs. I know that kind of stuff makes me think several times before I say something doesn't look the way it should.

Steve if you'd like the reference pics I took at the MOM in Brooklyn drop me an e-mail

Jedi Dade

12. EchoLeader

Well, when you talk about the studio AT-AT's it can get tricky since there were so many different sizes used. Anywhere from a 1" model to a large section of an AT-AT's foot.

I personally like to stick the the 20" models and from the reference that I have, these were all proportionally the same. Mind you some of the details and paint may be slightly different but there's no mistaking that they look the same as I mentioned, "in proportion."

Here's a sample.

[​IMG]

Rolando

Edit: Oh! BTW here are some shots of one of my AT-AT's foot in progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks great!

14. STEVE THE SWEDE

Hey Echo, I'm building the same kit myself![​IMG] I started with the head though, looked like the most fun part.

Steve.

15. EchoLeader

Steve, it's a great kit, isn't it? I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's cool the way Ron made the ankles to be articulated! As you can probably see on mine, I'm adding Allen screws and such to make it look closer to the actual filming miniatures. As I also stated in the thread above, I'm replaceing some parts with actual kit bashed parts.

I replaced the whole butt end on the AT-AT so I'll take some pics of it so people can see what I did. I'll be posting them soon.

Rolando

16. STEVE THE SWEDE

Yeah, it's very nice! What exact parts are you changing? I imagine the but armor plates, anything else? Isn't the kit to big for the original kit parts, or are you scratch building them yourself?

Looking good![​IMG]

Steve.

17. EchoLeader

Steve, though the kit may be slightly taller I'm trying to fit some of the donor parts in where I can. Here are some of the ones I've been working on. There are still some parts I need to find in this area though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to make a note on the butt part that you see above. Somehow the inside detail has been turn upside down since this model was filmed and thus why it's different now on display. I imagine that by removing this section somehow it may reveal one of the puppeteers mounting points. Just a thought.

Rolando

18. STEVE THE SWEDE

Very nice! I'm also adding scratch built parts to mine but I'm not as hardcore as you though. Just using parts that I have laying around trying to replicate the over all look of the part I'm detailing. Looking forward to see more of your pics!

Steve.

19. STEVE THE SWEDE

Echo, besides the German armored car what parts are the "but" built of? Do you think you'll be able to use it with this large kit? I'm really interested in building a new but piece, it think this part along with the side lasers are the kits weakest parts.

Any help is much apreciated![​IMG]

Steve.

20. EchoLeader

Steve,

These are the kits that have the donor parts to make a new butt.

Tamiya - 1/35 German 4-wheeled Armored Car Sd.Kfz.222 (TAM35051)

[​IMG]

You will need the body to make the tub that you see above. You will have to modify it like ILM did to round off the bottom.

Tamiya - 1/35 Soviet T-34/76 1942 Tank (TAM35049)

[​IMG]

You will need the upper section of the turret including the commanders hatch. You will also need one of the rear engine grills (the kit brings 2) and you will also need the inside part that attaches to the drivers hatch.

Tamiya - 1/35 British Chieftain Mk.V Tank (TAM3506[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will need a suspension section off this kit which is the "T" shaped part with the springs behind it that you see in the pic above.

There's a small grilled part I'm still looking for that is also added in th butt tub.

Hope this helps out.

Rolando

21. STEVE THE SWEDE

Sure did! Just a * shame that I can't see the pics.[​IMG] I have you tried your scratch built part on Rons kit? Does it work or is it to small? I was also planing to pick up the 20mm flackvierling kit for the armor plates but I'm affraid that they will be to small.

P.S, pics worked with a little cutting and pasting.[​IMG]

Steve.

22. BobFett

BobFett Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have Ron's kit as well. I have it built - have to sand a few spots before painting, and still need to build the cannons. Rolando - what did you do to modify the leg?

23. EchoLeader

I've mostly just added detail by using the types of screws that match the studio miniatures and some minor scratch building and detailed kit parts.

Here are some pics showing what I'm trying to match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rolando

24. BobFett

Looking good. Do you have more of those ref pics?

25. Blackfire2015

Blackfire2015 New Member

26. STEVE THE SWEDE

Wow, now were talking! Great pics! It's funny how different this model looks compared to the more documented MoM walker.

Steve.

27. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Now that's an exact examp[le of what I'm talking about look at the pics posted by blackfire 2015, then look at the reference pics on the starship modeler site. Both are of approximately 20ish inches tall AT-ATs but the difference in the detailing is really significant. Just one major change is the angled cut of the legs going into the knee joint. If you examine carefully the heads are slightly different proportions as well. The AT-AT that most of us are used to is the one poste by Blackfire2015, but the other AT-AT is about the same size but very different. Is there anyone out there who has catalogged these bad boys. I have a strong feeling that there are quite a few "correct" studio scale versions that can be made - even if you're sticking with the same scale AT-AT. Thhis mish mash would also explain why some attempts to make this as a kit (SMT) don't look quite right. for example the reference pics I have are of the same model as the starship modeler site. When I blew up the pictures to the correct size and held the SMT parts up to the picture they were a lot closer then I "thought" just looking at it. It also appears that referecen photos from different models (that at a cursory look appear to be the same) may have been used by various peopl eto make "studio" replicas. Uggg this is a big can of worms and I'm NOT acusing anyone of not be accurate...Just wondering outloud..uh on the keyboard [​IMG]

Jedi Dade

28. STEVE THE SWEDE

I agree, sure makes it tough, when you're trying to scratch build parts for it. What's on one model looks completly different on the other.

Back to the kits, I know the 2cm flackvierling was used on the back (large shields) and the gun barrels was used for both the small lazers barrels plus the tip on top of them but what parts were taken from the M-16 multible gun truck? Where were they used on the walker? If you know this please post.[​IMG]

Steve.

29. EchoLeader

The part that I know that was used from the M-16 multiple gun carriage is the front grill of that model. The model brings two front grills, one open and one closed. The one used is the open one.

The area where it's used on the AT-AT is in the rear above the butt tub and under the shield that hangs down from the top. There's also some more grill work under the M-16 part but I haven't discovered from what kit that's a donor of.

Rolando

30. STEVE THE SWEDE

Thanks for the info! Will you be using that on your kit or will you stick with Ron's grill?

Also, do you have any idea what was used as the "belly button" on the front drive part? Was that a part of the Harrier or something else added in the middle?

Steve.

31. EchoLeader

I already grounded that area down for the the upgraded part. As for the front of the motor drive, apart from the rounded part that's from the Saturn V I haven't found what the "belly button" part comes from yet. I'm sure I'll have to comprimise some detail parts if I ever want to get the model completed though.

I did however remove the square bottom sections on the bottom of the body on my kit and replaced them with the Saturn V parts though. Still need to finish off the center section and add any details.

Rolando

32. STEVE THE SWEDE

Well, I'll probably just scratch build that detail. Please post any progress pics you might have.[​IMG]

BTW, how are you tackling the small side lasers? Are you building them from the correct parts or do you just make them as close as you can?

Steve.

33. BobFett

How much modifying are you guys planning on doing to the kit? I was just going to build it "as is", but after seeng this I want to do some more work on it.

34. STEVE THE SWEDE

Since it's my all time favorit model from Star wars I'm doing what ever I can to keep it as close to the original as possible. The kit is VERY nice no question about that but most of the detailing doesn't match with the real ones. Echoleader have inspired my to actually scratch build a complete new "butt tub" from the correct parts. Wasn't cheap, paid $90 for all the needed kits but I think this model is worth it. I also picked up the 2cm Flackvierling kit so I can add the correct back armor plates, and I'll probably scratch build new side lazers from the correct barrels.

Steve.

35. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work, Echoleader.

There must be some shared sprues between some models, because as it turns out I used a couple of those butt parts for a custom blaster, and I could swear I took them from a Howitzer model.

36. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Looks like you all have been doing your homework. I have talked with Ronny and will be getting a few kits for my own. looks like the kitparts should fit ok. Ive hightlighted the parts I know for the rear of the ATAT minus the armeture plug (I think I got most of it) and know and have most of the rest like the circle detail on the ankle endcaps and many others for the rest of the ATAT. I have them molded as well!! Anyone interested in these if I make a few extra sets. Also have a list of detail accurizing for the kit as well to bring it to almost studio configuration. Rolando is doing a great job as usual. I think Ronny did a great job! Stay in touch and we can get this thing as close as possible!

[​IMG]

shot me a email for any questions you may have..
    sneisen641@attbi.com

37. BobFett

Hi Steve. Do you have castings of the accurate kit parts? Email me. Thanks!

38. STEVE THE SWEDE

Sorry, no castings.[​IMG] I don't know Jack S**t about doing resin pulls. But I know a great site where you can find all the needed kits pretty cheap. But it will probably run you about $80 for just the rear details anyway.[​IMG]

SWPROPMAKER, I would love to see that list of yours! Please post it! I really think this kit deserves all the attention we can give it, I'm sure it's totally going to blow people away when finished![​IMG]

BTW, Could anybody sell me the correct hex screws for all the joints? I have looked everywhere and they are impossible to find here in Sweden.[​IMG]

Steve.

39. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Yes I have molds for all the parts highlighted!! Talked with Ronny and he aproved me to do an accurizing kit for his kit. All the parts that I have are avaiable just show me what parts are needed and we can come up with something.

Steve N

Sweede the screws are called "button head" allen wrench head bolts.. I have the ones your looking for..see

[​IMG]

40. STEVE THE SWEDE

Cool, do you have all the correct hardware for the Walker?
    If so I would love to buy a complete hardware set from you! Let me know what you have and are willing to sell.[​IMG]

Thanks for your time!

Steve.

41. BobFett

Sorry Steve the Swede - I was referring to Steve (SWPropmaker) [​IMG] But - thanks anyway. [​IMG]I'd be interested in the proper HW as well.

42. BobFett

Here's a pic of mine so far. Not modified at all - but now I'm going to have to. * you guys... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

43. Darth Infamous

Darth Infamous Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Steve N. ,
    If you offer any kits to make the ATAT accurate include me on the list. [​IMG] Oh by the way Steve....are you into R/C tanks? I just picked up a 1/16 Tiger by Tamiya. I was browsing around and thought I saw a pic of you and some others doing the R/C battl thing. Cool stuff.
    Carl

44. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Hey,

I'm currently putting everything I have together. Once I get my kit I will write a "how to upgrade your AT-AT" I will include pictures and the package will also include must have parts required for upgrade.

Not shure when it will be ready but know when it is I'll post it hear first!

Steve

45. STEVE THE SWEDE

Will this include all the hardware too?

Steve.

46. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

You bet Steve. Here is an example of one of the many improvemnts that needs to be made to make it nearer the Movie used version..

The side armor plate on the head.. It needs to extend down as seen in the corrected picture as well as the scribe line needs to be brought down a bit as well..
    [​IMG]

i will be putting it all down for every one.. More when I get my kits..

Steve

47. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

How close is this "kit" to being accurate? Dimension wise?

48. STEVE THE SWEDE

In my oppinion it's very close dimension wise, although the scale is a bit larger then the studio models.

Steve.

49. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

DARKSIDE some pieces are dead on the studio scale!! others are not. Believe me Ive spent the last four years on the ATAT. This kit is good but is going to need allot to get it "studio" quality. It would be gret for someone not interested in the correct details..IMHO

Steve

50. Blackfire2015

Blackfire2015 New Member

Just looking at the pic of the head Steve posted, there are two other incorrect items. One is the scribed area just above the area he was talking about. There should be something in front of it. Also, the little squarish item below the fore mentioned armor area is also incorrect. Neither matches it's counter part on the opposite side of the head.

http://www.rickkent.net/jackie/photos/P5052061b.jpg