The Wand Company TOS Tricorder is coming!

Since I have a bunch of people here who obsess over the minutiæ of these things the way I do, I thought I'd ask here first. Anyone got good pointers on where I should look for the best TOS phaser 1? I'm not interested in the pistol grip. I would prefer something hollow, with functionality or the option for it. I've seen a few, but I don't know how they stack up for accuracy. The ship I know. The uniforms I know. The props, less so.

Well thats it for the updates for a while, enjoy whats left of the summer Chris.

The next round of updates are going be AWESOME!!!!

Anyone know when The Wand Co. will release the next tricorder update?
From TWC Tricorder Blog:
Aureliano Sanchez-Arango September 11, 2021 at 1:02 am
Any news regarding when we might expect the email updates to resume? Thanks!

1. 8a7f57ffc1b71862fcbcb42af19e1ad5?s=44&d=retro&r=g.jpg
    Chris Barnardo September 12, 2021 at 10:57 pm
    No exact date at the moment, but we are working on some new posts and as as soon as we have them ready we will resume posting.

Best. Mike.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the real world functions this tricorder will have, My guess for #1 is a voice recorder, "Captain's Log star date 2021.10.17, entry is as follows:

I also saw the real, internal diagnostic screen, pretty cool.

The Phaser is a TV Remote, the communicator is an actual working bluetooth communicator that pairs with your cell phone and its a real Bluetooth speaker.

What are they going to make as the real world functions for the tricorder?

Well, I have seen tech that allows you to see your veins…I might put that in there for curiosity in a medical tricorder. There are disks that are clear that allow inert storage of data. Having it transfer your family photos to something that lasts centuries would be nice. Hard-wired TOS episodes, a projector…misc.

In my opinion the only disks remotely similar to tricorder functions are Atmosphere and Orientation. The rest seem more like "toy" functions. My smartphone can already do a lot more than what this "tricorder" is planned to support, and it has a MUCH smaller form factor than a tricorder. Oh, I'm still planning to buy one, but I think TWC has missed-the-shuttlecraft for this prop's potential.

It is a toy for adults afterall. Not sure there is a market for something that would be "practical" at a price point that it would end up being.

It is a toy for adults afterall. Not sure there is a market for something that would be "practical" at a price point that it would end up being.
Yes, I understand and agree about that. But wouldn't it be cool if you could point it at your plate of food and see a readout on its composition and nutritional information? Or link to Apple/Google maps and see navigational turn-by-turn directions on the screen for reaching a destination? Or (geological device) point it at your garden soil to see a readout for assessing why the plants aren't thriving? Or (medical device) point it at your wife/husband/kid/pet and see a vital signs readout? Or, just wear it over your shoulder at the next nerd convention while pretending to be on an away mission. Yeah, that last one would be my "real world functions".

The Vital Technologies Mark I Tricorder from the 90's had 5 real functions. However, the company eventually went bankrupt

I still have two working Vital Tricorders. Even for it's day and today, they're still really fun to use even if the data is super slow to retrieve lol.

I still have two working Vital Tricorders. Even for it's day and today, they're still really fun to use even if the data is super slow to retrieve lol.
I feel privileged to have one autographed by Levar Burton, twice actually. He signed in silver marker and then noticed it didn't show up against the colour of the label on the back, so he signed again in black marker. He was genuinely interested in it. That was a great experience that lasted only a matter of minutes but I'll remember it forever.

The latest release is out folks... We are getting closer and closer! Posted from the email many of us got today. It's looking fantastic!
TRICORDER UPDATE #15
unnamed (1).jpg

I am thrilled to announce that we will be showcasing the Tricorder Replica in person for the very first time at Destination Star Trek London!

I will be presenting the Tricorder Replica with Andrew Stockdale and James Thomas, key members of the development team, who I introduced to you in my last newsletter/blog. Together we will be participating in a panel discussion on Saturday 13th November, when we will demonstrate the functions and features of the very first working sample of our Tricorder Replica, while also discussing more about the development process over the last few years, and answering questions from the audience.

Destination Star Trek London will be taking place over three days at ExCeL in the heart of London’s docklands from Friday 12th November to Sunday 14th November 2021. For more information and details about the event, the guests, the venue, and of course, if you want to purchase tickets, go to destinationstartrek.com.

We look forward to seeing you there!

LLAP

Chris

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back