The Wand Company TOS Tricorder is coming!

Only graphics I have seen are the one from the Wand Company YouTube video. Hoping for great graphics and hopefully a touch screen option so we don’t wear buttons down.
3B39BE34-25F8-44CE-A44F-6A524EDCE15B.jpeg
E09CDC39-BA63-44D4-BD1D-CFDA62B304BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Only graphics I have seen are the one from the Wand Company YouTube video. Hoping for great graphics and hopefully a touch screen option so we don’t wear buttons down.
Two other photos were apparently accidentally posted online, and then removed. Fortunately, someone caught screengrabs of them. The first is the same screen as one of yours. The second is the 'Apps' screen, as I've taken to calling it:
hBfO53TA78h.jpg
uBgMNY9h.jpg

Also, TWC has explicitly stated that your first pic with the logo is no longer valid. Apparently it is from the STD series, not TOS. TWC hasn't indicated what, if anything, will replace it.

As to touch screen option, I don't believe there will be any. There is a bubbled clear "lens" which will be over the screen.
3D-lens-print-12cx580px.jpg

Go figure it be nice feature touch screen that is. Over time pressing the buttons may were circuity padding or whatever they use to make the click and switch to go from display to display. Oh well just have to make sure not to press hard or for that matter not wear it out...L I am aware of the other app screen but its removed so i didn't add it my post. Times ticking Tricorder time that is. Patiently waiting on the next info release :)

They didn't have touch screens in the TV show, so why should the prop replica have a touch screen? Personally, I loathe touch screens, say like on desktop printers. You can never scroll without accidentally selecting something, they're buggy, and simply something that was never seen in Star Trek until TNG.

Well, TWC has definitively answered the question about video capture capabilities. As I suspected, there will be none.

Someone named Thomas wrote on their site, declaring:

"To me, the KEY to making this the most ACCURATE and functionally authentic , is to have VIDEO / AUDIO record and playback. my TINY digital camera has those features, so with ALL the room in this replica, that should be NO issue…this is the ONLY time any company will the opportunity to GET THIS RIGHT.If this is not included, then in my view, the BOAT WAS MISSED."

Chris wrote back, explaining exactly why the Tricorder would not have video capture capabilities:

I am sorry, I think you’ll have to plan for a missed boat then as we have not designed a camera into our tricorder. However, the tricorder will be able to record and playback audio… so maybe not a completely missed boat.

The issue was that the screen-used prop had no obvious camera. That said, there are of course very small cameras that could fit and possibly almost invisibly (although not completely invisibly). The thing is that a camera brings with it some other overheads in terms of cost and a significant increase in the development effort required to enable capturing, compressing, recording, storing, and then playing the video back.

In any case, we have other plans for creating a rich and immersive experience for owners of our tricorder, some of which will be unexpected, but that we believe the vast majority of fans will fully appreciate and enjoy. We will be describing those functions in detail in future newsletters, but the next newsletter that will be emailed out on Tuesday, May 4th will describe the functional blocks that make up the tricorder, and will start to give some ideas into the scope of the functional and mechanical features that we have developed for it and thus what it will and will not obviously be able to do.

Someone named Thomas wrote on their site, declaring:

"To me, the KEY to making this the most ACCURATE and functionally authentic , is to have VIDEO / AUDIO record and playback. my TINY digital camera has those features, so with ALL the room in this replica, that should be NO issue…this is the ONLY time any company will the opportunity to GET THIS RIGHT.If this is not included, then in my view, the BOAT WAS MISSED."

Did that kid from the Trekkies documentary write that?

I didn't think it would have video cap either. Like Chris said, where would they put the camera? I don't want a camera hole in my faceplate, and we're already waiting long enough for the tric. We're getting real sensors and a mechanically ejecting rack of disks. I'm thrilled.

Recalling much of the video playback from the show, you have to wonder just how the footage was even recorded by a tricorder. The view direction, angle, heck even elevation is more consistent with drone photography than pointing a small box in a certain way. We could theorize that the lower compartment held a miniature 23rd century drone that we never actually saw on-screen and was controlled remotely by the tricorder. When it looked like a landing party member was recording, they could have been piloting a drone for achieving that playback footage which realistically could never have been recorded from a camera directly on the tricorder. Just a thought.

Recalling much of the video playback from the show, you have to wonder just how the footage was even recorded by a tricorder. The view direction, angle, heck even elevation is more consistent with drone photography than pointing a small box in a certain way. We could theorize that the lower compartment held a miniature 23rd century drone that we never actually saw on-screen and was controlled remotely by the tricorder. When it looked like a landing party member was recording, they could have been piloting a drone for achieving that playback footage which realistically could never have been recorded from a camera directly on the tricorder. Just a thought.
That used to drive me nuts when I was little. I did mental gymnastics trying to figure out how the tricorder recorded video that the tricorder was visible in.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back