The Wand Company TOS Tricorder is coming!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

blspro

The Red "18" line is not a "function" block per se, but a path indicator (essentially identifying the power routing). So, unfortunately, that doesn't tell us whether there is a "master power switch" or not on the device.

If we're lucky, though, the Tricorder may be like the Communicator, in that - to be activated - you have open the device and hold down one of the "Buttons" (which, on the Tricorder, would be in #4 Block in the Hood) in order for that button to turn on the power and thus activate all of the functions. Thereafter, the magnets would serve the listed function - until the same button was again held down in order to turn the power off - also like the Communicator. That way, similar to the Communicator, you could display it in the Open position without a power drain.

The lack of specificity about alternatives to the magnets, along with a couple pictures we've seen so far, just had me concerned.

I was really hoping we'd get *more* information than they judiciously doled out to us this time around. But if this, and the next, Update (which they say will address "Making the things that will make the things" ie the "Cutting tools" etc) are any indication, it appears that - after whetting our appetites with information *dumps* in the first Updates - they're now going to stretch out what little information they feed us in the future - presumably in order to fill the MANY months it is apparently going to take to get the Tricorder into manufacturing, let alone distribution.

The only *truly* new information that we got here was:

The ARM processor is a Cortex-M7.
The screen is 320x240 LCD.
There will be "archive files and interesting pieces of pre-recorded information" in the memory [SDRAM and Flash].
Two magnets will control "wake up" and 'sleep' functions.
An Optical sensor will detect the difference between the eight different data discs when each is loaded next to it - the choice of which will determine which data and sensors can be used at a given moment.

That's not a lot.

Last edited:

asalaw

Sr Member
I for one am looking forward to reading about how they cut the tooling for the tricorder injection molding process. I assume they used a similar process to how they created the texture on the communicator. As replica makers go, they've really set a high bar.

ALLEY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I imagine that we will see a sudden dropping of the value of the MR Tricorder, along with some collectors trying to offload them before that drop.

antigravity

Please do a quick post if this helps bring them back to life!
Contacting TWC for some advice on what might be the likeliest source of failure, they offered to first replace the charger. I wasn’t expecting much, but it actually brought them right back.

I wouldn’t have known it was worth pursuing without the assistance in this thread, so thank you very much. It’s awesome to have them back in working order!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.