The Walking Dead Ricks Silenced Pistol

I wonder how Rick got the flashlight to stay on his gun. You would think that the action of the slide would be inhibited if a flashlight was over the barrel.

No, it was Mark Walberg in Shooter When he was standing on the row boat (or what ever it was) shooting the guys who were preparing to kill the FBI agent.

Yes he did
on-deadly-ground-21.jpg

You can use a potato for a one time suppressor if you needed to, That being said I also dont think rick would have the skills to make a reliable improvised sillencer. You would need to use fiberglass, (resin and fiberglass cloth) pvc tubing, a perforated rod of the correct diameter, steel wool, rubber washers, another rod of the correct diameter to use as a pilot in the barrel to keep everything lined up while the fiberglass was setting up. Yeah it could be done but why when it would be much easier to find a gun shop with guns that are already suspressed. I think the prop guys should have at least used a pvc tube painted black or something, that maglight looks retarded, but then we wouldnt have this thread either, lol.

You can use a potato for a one time suppressor if you needed to
BAD IDEA. This will destroy the barrel. Those bugs bunny cartoons where they stick a finger in a barrel and the obstruction causes the muzzle to peel back like a banana peel... That really does happen when you stick a raw potato ino a barrel and pull the trigger. Also your face will get wet. Ask me how I know.

During the current ammo shortage, I picked up a box of .22LR "sniper" subsonic rounds. Granted I was wearing hearing protection but when shot with my 10/22 I couldn't hear them unlike normal .22LR rounds. If it wasn't for the holes in the paper and ejected brass I'd swear they FTF. Pretty accurate too ... Standing unsupported @ 23yrds I managed a 2in group with 5rnds in quick succession.

So, IMO, using these or the powderless .22LR rounds would be plenty quiet and only need minimal suppression if at all.

I don't think anyone has said this before but Carl's silencer looks like it was made from an aluminum fish bat with the handle cut off and held on the Beretta with a pipe clamp. I can't remember the exact episode but there was a scene in the prison where Carl had removed the silencer and was stuffing it with steel wool. I would imagine that Ricks was made much the same, but I bet they left the reflector on the Mag-light in the show so you couldn't see how it was attached.
minibat.jpg
Pipe-Clamp.jpg

Last edited:
They make great bolt-on 25.00 solvent trap attachments for the 10/22

Of course you'd want the tax stamp to be in complete compliance if using for other than cleaning...

I'm actually surprised they haven't shown oil filter suppressors on the show. A much more practical solution.

During the current ammo shortage, I picked up a box of .22LR "sniper" subsonic rounds. Granted I was wearing hearing protection but when shot with my 10/22 I couldn't hear them unlike normal .22LR rounds. If it wasn't for the holes in the paper and ejected brass I'd swear they FTF. Pretty accurate too ... Standing unsupported @ 23yrds I managed a 2in group with 5rnds in quick succession.

So, IMO, using these or the powderless .22LR rounds would be plenty quiet and only need minimal suppression if at all.

I don't think anyone has said this before but Carl's silencer looks like it was made from an aluminum fish bat with the handle cut off and held on the Beretta with a pipe clamp. I can't remember the exact episode but there was a scene in the prison where Carl had removed the silencer and was stuffing it with steel wool. I would imagine that Ricks was made much the same, but I bet they left the reflector on the Mag-light in the show so you couldn't see how it was attached.
View attachment 257886
View attachment 257887
The problem with Carl's silencer would be making a baffle/gas tube to displace the gas into the steel wool that would surround the tube with holes drilled into it so the gases and noise could be displace into the baffling material. All you need to do is center drill the top end, Place the tube in and start packing steel wool in around the tubing. Unless you want to get complex and have the tube top be removable and threaded so you would have to stuff steel wool into the silencer body

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how Rick got the flashlight to stay on his gun. You would think that the action of the slide would be inhibited if a flashlight was over the barrel.
He would have had to have it threaded and had a longer then stock barrel with a matching thread pitch to go male/female

They don't have longevity for constant use.
A few years ago there was a pistol designed from the AR-7 rifle with different barrels lengths in a soft case. the only thing was that the sight were of kilter so the couldn't be used on the original rifle and the new pistol.But I can't remember the name of the company that made this pistol. Anyone got info on this ?

I don't know why some of you seem to be taking my comment personally.

As far as improvised suppressors, if the maglight was on his Colt Python it would be at least plausible, but on a semi-auto ... How is it held on? Did he somehow manage to extend and thread the barrel?

I love the show, but Rick Grimes is no MacGyver. Nothing about his character has me believing he figured out a way to make this contraption work.

A silencer on a revolver doesn't work, as there is gas escape from the cylinder sides. The only silencable revolver is the Nagant.

EXACTLY....:love Almost sure that Carl's is a mini aluminum baseball bat.

Have a mini-baseball bat from my junior baseball days, I can agree that it's more than likely a mini-baseball bat for sure. As for what is used for the end, it's hard to say.

But as someone else has put it, showing that they've cobbled together silencers makes sense in a visual medium. In fact, the only other cobbled together ones I've seen recently have either been on an episode of CSI: Miami or in the George Clooney movie, The American. Others are just the typical manufactured types.

Carl's silencer is just a cut out section of a youth aluminum baseball bat. The tip of the bat was cut off and then welded back onto the shortened section.

This is my Carl pistol from a couple of years ago:

2012-12-29 23.36.32.jpg

2012-12-29 23.37.32.jpg

2012-12-29 23.38.19.jpg

It's built from a metal gas Beretta airsoft. The pistol and silencer are threaded so the silencer can be removed.

I do want to redo the silencer. The piece that screws onto the barrel should be the skinnier part closer to the grip of the bat. But this was the best I could do with the reference that was available at the time. Still love this thing, though :)

Last edited:
Carl's silencer is just a cut out section of a youth aluminum baseball bat. The tip of the bat was cut off and then welded back onto the shortened section.

This is my Carl pistol from a couple of years ago:

View attachment 352387

View attachment 352388

View attachment 352389

It's built from a metal gas Beretta airsoft. The pistol and silencer are threaded so the silencer can be removed.

I do want to redo the silencer. The piece that screws onto the barrel should be the skinnier part closer to the grip of the bat. But this was the best I could do with the reference that was available at the time. Still love this thing, though :)

That's weird. I thought there was a flat plate on the front of it (I remember seeing it in one of the prison scenes, where he's got what looks like steel cotton mesh, and it appears he's cleaning his gun or something like that). But then again, I could very well be wrong. :/

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back