The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

As a kid i collected cans and bottles, checked payphones for quarters just to get a chance to play Super Mario bros. , Ninja Gaiden and Double Dragon!!!
View attachment 1579059

When the NES came out it was all about Ninja Gaiden
View attachment 1579060
These games had a reputation for being extremely hard to beat...So i beat all of them and recorded all the end boss defeats on VCR. Since that time i am no longer a wizard...as my sons can tell you. If there are more than 2 buttons on a controller, i'm out. lol
Here in the UK we had Cigarette machines that often held their change but a swift tap on the side dispensed an old two or five pence.
Back in the midst of time.. 1971 We had a change of currency rendering a lot of smaller coins and for some reason an overly large one penny useless..
Now my grand parents owned a pub and had a bottle full of old pennys, the thing was although no monetary value still worked in these new slot machines.

We spent many a happy hour in our local Swimming pool reck rooms which had a Defender cabinet, which back then was always like a sauna and stunk of chlorine but we loved it!

Just fyi PoopaPapaPalps and JediMichael, Nomura isnt involved in FFXVI at all. The producer is Naoki Yoshida whose expertise is in MMORPGs and his biggest claim to fame being that he saved FFXIV from obscurity, transforming the failed RPG to one of the biggest in Japan.

Not sure how this will turn out with a single player focused game but he does have some success under his belt.

I dont think Nomura is bad but he is overworked. He has been carrying the company ever since Square lost its top talent after the Spirits Within debacle.

The biggest issue with Square Enix is its current CEO imo. The guy sold off amazing IPs with a ton of potential for a pittance so they can look into NFTs which are already dead since 2020.

Just fyi PoopaPapaPalps and JediMichael, Nomura isnt involved in FFXVI at all. The producer is Naoki Yoshida whose expertise is in MMORPGs and his biggest claim to fame being that he saved FFXIV from obscurity, transforming the failed RPG to one of the biggest in Japan...

I dont think Nomura is bad but he is overworked. He has been carrying the company ever since Square lost its top talent after the Spirits Within debacle.

The biggest issue with Square Enix is its current CEO imo. The guy sold off amazing IPs with a ton of potential for a pittance so they can look into NFTs which are already dead since 2020.

Best news I've heard in a minute! There's hope for FFXVI yet.

Nomura is an unequivocal wrong, in my opinion. The bigger his role in FF got with X, the more FF has strayed from the faith. KH is also another disaster story. The first two are long-winded and heavy on cutscenes, but fun where it counted (and actually something I thought FF should've headed towards at one point), then the endless spin-off games until the lackluster third installment showed how completely wrong I was about KH and how right I am as Nomura as a head developer. Square may have changed heads over the years but Nomura's output has always been consistent with his "abilities." It's been 25 years since FFVII and he's still defiling something he only worked as a character designer on.

Yeah, I recognize this is really Square's fault, but his involvement and tenure is a dark time as far as I'm concerned, the sooner it's over; the better.

Last edited:
That Final Fantasy trailer....hmmm
Trailers are suppose to get you hyped for whats coming....but, it just isn't really doing that. The best part was seeing the summons....but the actual characters.....I don't know. They just look like bland nicely rendered people. Hopefully I'm wrong, but since FF12, minus 14 as I don't play online, these games have gotten more and more bland with less likeable characters that I even care about.
Whats going on?
Is it me?
I find some of those old pixilated characters with so much more depth to them.

It's not you regarding characters. The issues with characters and story really started with VIII and has been degrading with varying severity afterwards. It's always up for contention, but the first 7-9 games were solid in both character and story (even if some of them were also a bit wild and convoluted).

IX was the last great "classic" FF game, and XII was a real breath of fresh air even if it was straight-up just Star Wars---which I was completely fine with. Despite XII being my favorite "modern" FF game, there really is no denying that FF hasn't been punching at its weight in quite a time.

Last edited:
Best news I've heard in a minute! There's hope for FFXVI yet.

Nomura is an unequivocal wrong, in my opinion. The bigger his role in FF got with X, the more FF has strayed from the faith. KH is also another disaster story. The first two are long-winded and heavy on cutscenes, but fun where it counted (and actually something I thought FF should've headed towards at one point), then the endless spin-off games until the lackluster third installment showed how completely wrong I was about KH and how right I am as Nomura as a head developer. Square may have changed heads over the years but Nomura's output has always been consistent with his "abilities." It's been 25 years since FFVII and he's still defiling something he only worked as a character designer on.

Yeah, I recognize this is really Square's fault, but his involvement and tenure is a dark time as far as I'm concerned, the sooner it's over; the better.
Ive got to disagree. Im definately biased in that Im a fan of Kingdom Hearts (one of my favorite series made) but I do think Nomura is good at his job. Kingdom Hearts 1 is solid, 2 might be one of the best games made, and 3 was a disappointment but being stuck having to also manage XV and 7 remake which are far higher priorities within the company, his oversight was divided. I also think alot of blame for KH3 should be placed on team Osaka who was the team that implemented the command system and seem to have no idea about how to balance combat, liking to make regular attacks practically useless and poorly implement i-frames.

However, I still think Nomura is upper mid-tier or at least mid-tier in terms of creating games. He isnt the best (that honor goes to Nintendo whose failures are still average at worst or Platinum Games that makes amazing games that dont get recognition) but there are far worse producers that get far more praise imo. Neil Druckmann is one of the worst in that regard. Naughty Dog is a mid-tier developer than cant produce games and I still cant understand why people love The last of us so much when it is essentially a worse version of Resident Evil 4, a game 8 years its senior.

So, it's basically Portal, but they replaced the portal gun with Half Life's gravity gun?

And finally a game where you can play a cow that headbutts stuff and has a flying saucer as a sidekick!

Need to still play the first dragons dogma but in my backlog.

Remake and Crisis Core remake looks good. I wonder if the theory about Zacks is true.
The first Dragon's Dogma was amazing. My only complaint is that it didn't support multiplayer. I hope the second one does.

Castlevania live action movie?
1655763242891.png

Need to still play the first dragons dogma but in my backlog.

Remake and Crisis Core remake looks good. I wonder if the theory about Zacks is true.
Dragons Dogma is easily my favorite medieval fantasy rpg. More adventuring than Dark Souls and more action oriented than Elder Scrolls/WOW type games. Even the action I like more than Dark Souls too.
The first Dragon's Dogma was amazing. My only complaint is that it didn't support multiplayer. I hope the second one does.
Yeah, I think they're going that route for sure. The game is built around working as a team so to not include some kind of co-op for the next installment would be crazy.

Looking forward to Sonic Origins to be released here in a few days.
They sadly weren't able to get past the Michael Jackson stuff from Sonic 3 and any legal issues, so there will be a few new music tracks, which will be some reworked protoype music from back then. I'm still not sure if its because Sega just didn't want to pay the copyright holders of that music a ton of money, or if there were other issues....or both.

Dragons Dogma is easily my favorite medieval fantasy rpg. More adventuring than Dark Souls and more action oriented than Elder Scrolls/WOW type games. Even the action I like more than Dark Souls too.

Yeah, I think they're going that route for sure. The game is built around working as a team so to not include some kind of co-op for the next installment would be crazy.

I hope so. Japan got an online multiplayer Dragon's Dogma years ago, so I am hoping this will come to the west in the new game. The Pawn system was neat and being able to use other people's Pawn's was neat, but the entire time I played Dragon's Dogma I was asking myself why I couldn't be playing with friends.

I hope so. Japan got an online multiplayer Dragon's Dogma years ago, so I am hoping this will come to the west in the new game. The Pawn system was neat and being able to use other people's Pawn's was neat, but the entire time I played Dragon's Dogma I was asking myself why I couldn't be playing with friends.
I never knew they had multiplayer. Damn, how come we didn't get it???

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back