The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Here's PC Gamer's buying guide for mechanical keyboards (which are real popular now I guess): Best mechanical keyboards in 2022

I never go for those because I've used ergonomic (split keys) keyboards for the last 20 years or so. Every time I use a normal keyboard I feel like my hands are jammed together. I wish they would make a gaming version of those. Apparently I must be in the minority though. Mostly for gaming I use my Logitech G13, which isn't available anymore, but Razer makes a newer version of the original keypad controller I had before that, the Belkin Nostromo (they licensed the design from Belkin and updated it): PC Gaming Keypad - Razer Tartarus Pro I'm really hoping Logitech listens and makes a successor to the G13 though.

Thanks for the response! Do you think it’s worth the programming keys for the old republic game?

And when you mr programming keys, you can assign certain buttons to pull up or do certain things right?
I'd say that it's not necessary since most games will allow you to reprogram all of the controls to whichever key or mouse button you want. I'd look more at how responsive the keys are, durability, and ergonomics. The only programmable feature that I'd look for would possibly be adjustable key brightness and/or colors if you have lit keys. That, obviously, won't do anything for gameplay but I'd call it a nice to have feature. This would be useful if you want to be able to adjust the backlighting to be more or less and if you want the option of being able to change the colors or the way the colors are displayed.

If you can, I'd try out various keyboards in person, get a feel for how the keys are and the ergonomics. But I realize that not a lot of stores will have keyboards out on display and when they do, they'll only have a few. So failing that, I'd look at Amazon reviews and see what people have to say and if the pros and cons match what you're looking for. It's not perfect but it's the next best thing to trying it out in person. Also, I'd get an idea of what exactly you're looking for in a keyboard too, this way you can ignore keyboards that don't match your criteria as well as help you look for reviews that describe whether or not the keyboard does what you're looking for.

I'd say that it's not necessary since most games will allow you to reprogram all of the controls to whichever key or mouse button you want. I'd look more at how responsive the keys are, durability, and ergonomics. The only programmable feature that I'd look for would possibly be adjustable key brightness and/or colors if you have lit keys. That, obviously, won't do anything for gameplay but I'd call it a nice to have feature. This would be useful if you want to be able to adjust the backlighting to be more or less and if you want the option of being able to change the colors or the way the colors are displayed.

If you can, I'd try out various keyboards in person, get a feel for how the keys are and the ergonomics. But I realize that not a lot of stores will have keyboards out on display and when they do, they'll only have a few. So failing that, I'd look at Amazon reviews and see what people have to say and if the pros and cons match what you're looking for. It's not perfect but it's the next best thing to trying it out in person. Also, I'd get an idea of what exactly you're looking for in a keyboard too, this way you can ignore keyboards that don't match your criteria as well as help you look for reviews that describe whether or not the keyboard does what you're looking for.
Thanks I’ve been watching a few YouTube videos comparing the 2021 and 2022 top models

I have no idea how any of this works so I appreciate all that advice

Thanks I’ve been watching a few YouTube videos comparing the 2021 and 2022 top models

I have no idea how any of this works so I appreciate all that advice
im also new so cant give that much advice personally.

I do think it doesnt matter that much as long as you get one that is durable. The low latency keyboards may useful if you are playing competitively but may not be that essential for an RPG, especially for the added price.

I do think its mostly just play with what you are comfortable with or will want to use. Games were made with the standard keyboard and mouse or controller in mind so getting good at a game is always more about learning the mechanics than the hardware.

I'm also new so cant give that much advice personally.

I do think it doesnt matter that much as long as you get one that is durable. The low latency keyboards may useful if you are playing competitively but may not be that essential for an RPG, especially for the added price.

I do think it's mostly just play with what you are comfortable with or will want to use. Games were made with the standard keyboard and mouse or controller in mind so getting good at a game is always more about learning the mechanics than the hardware.
I wholeheartedly agree. Don't pay more than you're absolutely comfortable with just to get a bunch of extra bells and whistles that you're not going to need or even notice the difference. Just because somebody somewhere says that you need XYZ on your keyboard because either they buy into the hype/their favorite YouTuber/competitive gamer says so. It's the same advice I gave to a friend who wants to do all kinds of tweaks/mod to a gun simply because all of the people say that you need to do so. I told him that just because a bunch of people say you need to do XYZ to the gun doesn't mean that you have to, at least not without shooting it a bunch to see if you can feel the problems that others are talking about, then decide whether or not to do the work.

im also new so cant give that much advice personally.

I do think its mostly just play with what you are comfortable with or will want to use. Games were made with the standard keyboard and mouse or controller in mind so getting good at a game is always more about learning the mechanics than the hardware.

I wholeheartedly agree. Don't pay more than you're absolutely comfortable with just to get a bunch of extra bells and whistles that you're not going to need or even notice the difference. Just because somebody somewhere says that you need XYZ on your keyboard because either they buy into the hype/their favorite YouTuber/competitive gamer says so. It's the same advice I gave to a friend who wants to do all kinds of tweaks/mod to a gun simply because all of the people say that you need to do so. I told him that just because a bunch of people say you need to do XYZ to the gun doesn't mean that you have to, at least not without shooting it a bunch to see if you can feel the problems that others are talking about, then decide whether or not to do the work.
Really appreciate the honest advice guys. Talking with her today, I think she just wants it for flashy lights…
FF7AE0E1-6BDD-4A90-8822-5D5A12DA808B.gif

Really appreciate the honest advice guys. Talking with her today, I think she just wants it for flashy lights…
View attachment 1539234
If RGB lighting is all she wants then you don't need to spend a lot on any kind of high-end gaming keyboard. Decide on a budget then start browsing keyboards on Amazon and reading reviews. I recommend Amazon because you'll have lots to choose from and I find that Amazon is the one e-commerce site that consistently has the most reviews for their products, lots of other places might have better prices but will only have 1 or 2 reviews, at most, for everything they carry. I'd look for something that's rated at 4 stars or better with at least 50 or so reviews. I'd also pay more attention to more recent reviews than much older ones as those can indicate an improvement or drop in quality

If RGB lighting is all she wants then you don't need to spend a lot on any kind of high-end gaming keyboard. Decide on a budget then start browsing keyboards on Amazon and reading reviews. I recommend Amazon because you'll have lots to choose from and I find that Amazon is the one e-commerce site that consistently has the most reviews for their products, lots of other places might have better prices but will only have 1 or 2 reviews, at most, for everything they carry. I'd look for something that's rated at 4 stars or better with at least 50 or so reviews. I'd also pay more attention to more recent reviews than much older ones as those can indicate an improvement or drop in quality
i like amazon for their trouble free return policy

Pretty good Nintendo Direct yesterday, for any Switch owners.

My personal points of interest:

- Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound released on the SNES and NES game stores.

- Front Mission 1+2 Remake's on the way, might be multiplatform.

- Chrono Cross Remaster confirmed coming to all platforms.

- Advance Wars Re-Boot 1+2 coming in April.

- Mario Kart 8 Tracks DLC packs. 48 remastered tracks coming in bundles of 8 over the course of 2022 and 2023. Free for any subscribers of the N64 Expansion or about $30 for a pass for all the tracks or bundles can be individually purchased.

- Star Wars The Force Unleashed bundle coming, but it looks like ports of the Wii version. Hopefully other platforms get either the PC or PS3/Xbox ports as the Wii version looks really meh.

- Triangle Strategy getting a new demo today and a release date.

- Another HD-2D remaster coming in the form of Live A Live. Never before released in North America, it's a remaster from the SNES golden era of JRPG's that looks really interesting.

The full show

My personal highlights

OMG CHRONOCROSS!!! i loved that freak game!! that was the main reason i bought a ps1!! i was never a PS guy until my local comic book store i worked at was playing it there... i was hooked

chrono trigger is one of my all time favorite games... when i learned of this some what... sequel i couldn't find a PS fast enough, i actually found one at a yard sale the next weekend and picked it up with 2 controllers for 40 bucks

my niece has a switch, im going to have to high jack it for this...

OMG CHRONOCROSS!!! i loved that freak game!! that was the main reason i bought a ps1!! i was never a PS guy until my local comic book store i worked at was playing it there... i was hooked

chrono trigger is one of my all time favorite games... when i learned of this some what... sequel i couldn't find a PS fast enough, i actually found one at a yard sale the next weekend and picked it up with 2 controllers for 40 bucks

It’s coming to all platforms, even Steam and I’m sure it won’t be spec heavy for a PS1 remaster.

HEY....another reason to post a video to you...lol.
Chrono Trigger has always been one of my favorite games. More so than Cross, but I still enjoyed Cross for what it was.
CT's 25th anniversary was in 2020. I made this.....

A year and a half later, I'm even farther in......

HEY....another reason to post a video to you...lol.
Chrono Trigger has always been one of my favorite games. More so than Cross, but I still enjoyed Cross for what it was.
CT's 25th anniversary was in 2020. I made this.....

A year and a half later, I'm even farther in......
That is some serious dedication, I think I’ve actually beat the game only once when I was a kid.. I ended up getting it for the 3ds and got very close to the end but lost the ds with alot of other stuff in a break up..

So excited for this to come out in April I always loved the art work.. frog was by far my favorite

That is some serious dedication, I think I’ve actually beat the game only once when I was a kid.. I ended up getting it for the 3ds and got very close to the end but lost the ds with alot of other stuff in a break up..

So excited for this to come out in April I always loved the art work.. frog was by far my favorite
Thanks. Just finished my 54th playthough a bit ago tonight.
From what I have read, its only Chrono Cross getting a remaster with the added 'Japanese only released before' text based game, Radical Dreamers.
I played through a fan translated version a bunch of years ago. I believe it did have a few pictures in it. Was mostly to get people up to speed for Cross.

Thanks. Just finished my 54th playthough a bit ago tonight.
From what I have read, its only Chrono Cross getting a remaster with the added 'Japanese only released before' text based game, Radical Dreamers.
I played through a fan translated version a bunch of years ago. I believe it did have a few pictures in it. Was mostly to get people up to speed for Cross.
Sorry I literally just woke up, went to bed around 3am tossing and turning with anxiety, I’m still not officially awake and thinking clearly LOL

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back