The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

I'd just like to go on record and say that exclusives are friggin' stupid.

I doubt I'm going to own a PS5. Partially, that's because I have a really beefy PC which can run rings around what the PS5 can do. Partially that's because finding a PS5 for sale is still a pain in the ass, which only further underscores the idiocy of locking games to a specific console that plenty of people still can't even friggin' buy.

Like, I play Marvel's Avengers. My game looks GORGEOUS and runs as smooth as butter with all the settings maxed out. PS5s are still struggling with that game because, basically, they're nowhere near as powerful (which is fine, that's by design). Spider-Man is apparently coming out by the end of the year for that game, but only as a PS4/PS5 exclusive. Why?

I don't get this. Is this supposed to drive people towards buying a PS5? Well then, shouldn't they be making more PS5s so people can freakin' do that?! But no, it's been limited production numbers and unmet demand since the console first came out and they still can't get a handle on it.

Now they're listing a ton of games that'll be coming out which are exclusive to the console, and my basic response is just "Meh. Whatever. Let me know when it comes to PC."

I don't even say this as some "Pc MaStEr RaCe" *******. I say it because platform exclusives are just a dumb, dumb concept. Hell, for that matter, I think it's a dated idea to release a game on three consoles and not have crossplay these days.
To add insult to injury, Spider-Man (when he's eventually released as DLC later this year I believe) in Marvel's Avengers will only be playable on Playstation.

To add insult to injury, Spider-Man (when he's eventually released as DLC later this year I believe) in Marvel's Avengers will only be playable on Playstation.
Sony actually has the licensing rights to Spider Man which is why Spider Man has not appeared on anything but Sony platforms.

Sony actually has the licensing rights to Spider Man which is why Spider Man has not appeared on anything but Sony platforms.
Right. I wonder if it'll be the 'same' Spider-Man from Sony's game or a new version.

I'd just like to go on record and say that exclusives are friggin' stupid.

I doubt I'm going to own a PS5. Partially, that's because I have a really beefy PC which can run rings around what the PS5 can do. Partially that's because finding a PS5 for sale is still a pain in the ass, which only further underscores the idiocy of locking games to a specific console that plenty of people still can't even friggin' buy.

Like, I play Marvel's Avengers. My game looks GORGEOUS and runs as smooth as butter with all the settings maxed out. PS5s are still struggling with that game because, basically, they're nowhere near as powerful (which is fine, that's by design). Spider-Man is apparently coming out by the end of the year for that game, but only as a PS4/PS5 exclusive. Why?

I don't get this. Is this supposed to drive people towards buying a PS5? Well then, shouldn't they be making more PS5s so people can freakin' do that?! But no, it's been limited production numbers and unmet demand since the console first came out and they still can't get a handle on it.

Now they're listing a ton of games that'll be coming out which are exclusive to the console, and my basic response is just "Meh. Whatever. Let me know when it comes to PC."

I don't even say this as some "Pc MaStEr RaCe" *******. I say it because platform exclusives are just a dumb, dumb concept. Hell, for that matter, I think it's a dated idea to release a game on three consoles and not have crossplay these days.
It's very simple, Sony & Microsoft do exclusives in order to try to encourage consumers to buy their system over the competition's. When the price points are similar, performance is similar, the deciding factor for a lot of gamers is going to be which system has more games that they want to play. If you're a big Halo fan then the obvious choice is going to the XBox, if you don't really care about Halo but really like, say, Spider-Man, the Playstation is going to be your console of choice. Simple as that.

It's very simple, Sony & Microsoft do exclusives in order to try to encourage consumers to buy their system over the competition's. When the price points are similar, performance is similar, the deciding factor for a lot of gamers is going to be which system has more games that they want to play. If you're a big Halo fan then the obvious choice is going to the XBox, if you don't really care about Halo but really like, say, Spider-Man, the Playstation is going to be your console of choice. Simple as that.
Sure, but at the same time, it seems like MS has moved away from that. Are there exclusive HALO games now? I thought they were all at least available on PC? I just kinda doubt the games drive THAT much traffic these days. And I especially don't get permanent exclusives. Like, ok, 6 months makes sense. A year even. But permanent? Why?

It makes even less sense when Sony can't meet demand for their consoles as it is.

Sure, but at the same time, it seems like MS has moved away from that. Are there exclusive HALO games now? I thought they were all at least available on PC? I just kinda doubt the games drive THAT much traffic these days. And I especially don't get permanent exclusives. Like, ok, 6 months makes sense. A year even. But permanent? Why?

It makes even less sense when Sony can't meet demand for their consoles as it is.
I was only using Halo as an example, but for the longest time only Halo 1 was available on PC and it was said to be a horrendous port at that.

But as far as keeping exclusives exclusive, it still falls under the manufacturers wanting to encourage consumers to buy their console because of what games are exclusive. It's not like people stop buying new consoles 6 months after the latest model comes out, people are constantly buying new consoles, either because the one they have broke, for gifts, because they're late adopters, etc. The reasons are for buying console months, even years after the initial release are endless and I wouldn't discount how much exclusive games can influence the decision on which console to buy, esp. for first-time console buyers or people who've been out of the console game for a long while. After a certain point, all of the talking points about the guts of the console becomes a bunch of meaningless mumbo jumbo and people, esp. younger folk and their parents, just want to know what games they can play on it.

Yeah I hate exclusives whether it's collectibles, games, or whatever. I've never heard of anything saying they sell more games by doing that. I think it's probably all marketing so they can say they had exclusive games. Now if they were timed exclusives, I don't mind that much unless it's something from a franchise I've already played and have been waiting on.

In other news, per my last message, I'm now playing Fallout New Vegas and wanting to play Fallout 4. :lol: I've got lots of new games I've never played on Epic and Steam, but for some reason I want to go back to my favorites.

Right, but that fails spectacularly when you can't actually buy the systems in question. I also question if that availability issue isn't being manufactured to make it look like there's such a demand no one can keep in stock because it's just 'that good'. I find it much more plausible it's scheme to keep it in the news and use the rarity aspect to drive up demand.

Regardless, if 100k people have a ps5 and you make 300k copies of an exclusive game, you're kinda shooting yourself in the foot, no?

Right, but that fails spectacularly when you can't actually buy the systems in question. I also question if that availability issue isn't being manufactured to make it look like there's such a demand no one can keep in stock because it's just 'that good'. I find it much more plausible it's scheme to keep it in the news and use the rarity aspect to drive up demand.

Regardless, if 100k people have a ps5 and you make 300k copies of an exclusive game, you're kinda shooting yourself in the foot, no?
I really doubt that it's a manufactured shortage, there is a chip shortage going on you know. So, after they ran out of their initial stock, I'm sure that both Microsoft and Sony are having a hard time getting their hands on the chips they need to make enough Playstations and Xboxs to satisfy demand. The chip shortage is affecting all sectors of the economy and not just computers and consoles. The automotive industry is getting slammed too, used cars prices are soaring and new cars are coming at a premium as well. To add to that, some new cars are being delivered without some standard features or optional ones purchased by the buyer, and the buyers are being given IOUs by the dealers and told that when they get the part in stock, they can come back and get it installed for free. This is on top of the already better known shortage of CPUs and GPUs, so in short, there's a ton of demand from all sectors for microchips and the manufacturers can't keep up with the demand.

I really doubt that it's a manufactured shortage, there is a chip shortage going on you know. So, after they ran out of their initial stock, I'm sure that both Microsoft and Sony are having a hard time getting their hands on the chips they need to make enough Playstations and Xboxs to satisfy demand. The chip shortage is affecting all sectors of the economy and not just computers and consoles. The automotive industry is getting slammed too, used cars prices are soaring and new cars are coming at a premium as well. To add to that, some new cars are being delivered without some standard features or optional ones purchased by the buyer, and the buyers are being given IOUs by the dealers and told that when they get the part in stock, they can come back and get it installed for free. This is on top of the already better known shortage of CPUs and GPUs, so in short, there's a ton of demand from all sectors for microchips and the manufacturers can't keep up with the demand.
I didn't say it 'was' a manufactured shortage, but it wouldn't surprise me either. There aren't millions of people waiting in line to get these, yet EVERY release, they release them little by little to create the 'massively popular' storyline to try and drive demand higher. And both Sony and MS are guilty of this. At this point, it may be chip shortage, but most shortages were caused by vendors reducing orders in light of the pandemic. Factories shut down production lines so now that people want to stuff - it doesn't exist to ship to the vendors. So, there's a shortage because there's a large backlog. Now, maybe they aren't causing it intentionally, but they're going to milk it for all it's worth.

I was looking up something Fallout New Vegas related and came across this pic and it made me laugh because every gamer has made that choice.

hopeyourenotimportant.jpg

New Evil Dead gameplay trailer

Hopefully the boomstick sound effect is just a placeholder sound effect. Other than that, looks good.

Nintendo Direct just happened. They just showed the SNES classic Actraiser remastered and available for all platforms now. Just picked it up on the PS4:

Also Shadowrun Trilogy confirmed for a Switch release. Hoping it comes to the other consoles as well

Bayonetta 3 also shown

Castlevania Advance Collection

Metroid Dread release trailer

EDIT: Final Fantasy Tactics inspired Triangle Strategy also gets a release date

Last edited:
Yeah I'm looking forward to the second game. I HATE scary games, but I had fun with that one. I just tried not to be out at night until the late game where I could kill those super powerful things (it's been awhile, can't recall the name). I just hope in part two that guns are more viable than the first.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back