The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

So they are saying this is the PS5 controller. Guess they got a bunch of storm troopers to design it.
So it will be nice and white on the first day and gray about a week later.
But who knows. The PS3 debuted a weird silver boomarang controller, but by launch was the typical normal type.

View attachment 1284037

It'll be in other colors as well as I've also seen an all black version. A controller is a controller to me; aside from those awesome Tron themed controllers from back in the PS3 days. Dualshock 4 controllers also work with the PS5 as well; but for once I am actually interested in the peripheral features of a controller, especially the built in mic and haptic feedback.

I thought it looked a little Xboxy at first but now I'm starting to like it.

Hey as long as it feels comfortable to hold which it looks like it is and has a longer battery life, then bring it.

I mostly loved the PS4 controller. Didn't care for the big annoying touch pad button, didn't see any real need for that, and now it's a bit bigger for the PS5. And the options button was so small and completely blended in with the controller, if I needed to hit it, I always struggled to actually hit it.

Yeah good point, I would've preferred a bigger options button too. Or if not bigger, if it's raised up more, that would help a ton. And yeah the white is lovely as long as it stays clean. I'll probably opt for black. I don't mind the touch pad honestly but it would be nice if games just utilized it more. The touch pad as a map or pause button seems to be the only thing it gets used as.

FFVII Remake officially releases today, although physical buyers may have a hard time getting a copy right away due to shipping delays.
I bought my original Playstation just for Final Fantasy VII so I am really excited to pick this up.

Some words from Yoshinori Kitase who was the director on both the original game and the remake;

NightDive CEO talks about creating Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition in new article.

Just started playing FF7 remake about an hour ago. Not bad but I still prefer the original game play.
And whats up with them calling MAKO, M-ah-co.
Sounds stupid.

So not really liking this game so much. I finished the first chapter, which took just over an hour. It goes back to the title screen and says it has to finish installing. Ok, sure, whatever. I go and check it a few mins later and click on a save, but I must have accidentally clicked on a manual save from the hour before. So I go back to the menu and try to load chapter 2, only to find out that loading that old save, now it auto saved over my newest file and put me back a whole hour. Total crap. Not happy at all.

My copy of FFVII Remake finally arrived today so I am looking forward to starting that up tonight.

Also Tommy Tallarico talks a little bit about the revival of the Intellivision.

I have nowhere to put my thoughts about FF7: Remake so you'll have to bear it here: am I missing something? How has this got rave reviews everywhere? There's only one published source that gave it a mediocre review and it got buried by everything else. I honestly don't know where to start with this...

Let's first get rid of the stuff that I did like out of the way: I think it looks great (beyond some low resolution backgrounds and textures), and I like the early part of the game; I also liked some of the stuff they expanded (specifically the Avalanche squad), and the re-orchestrated music is enjoyable for the most part.

...However, I was frustrated with everything else leading up to, after, and sustained from the pillar destruction. The problems kept piling on, repeating, and became more and more telegraphed. The controls are okay, but they're just the Kingdom Hearts layout but ported to Final Fantasy (something after the first two KH games, I actually rooted for). However, they weren't tweaked for finessed, so the result is too messy and the encounters too boring for a big title game like this to have let slip by.

The camera is a mess; it's the biggest enemy in the game. It's unruly and never stays in a place where you can see or track anything more than two enemies on screen at a time, and in a game that's literally one long hallway, that shouldn't be a problem. Especially because all enemy encounters are scripted.

And that leads to one of the biggest problems I have with the remake: the cutscenes. Oh. My. God. The cutscenes. It's almost every other minute with them (and sometimes less). Sometimes you literally run for a few seconds from one cutscene to another cutscene. And as many as there are doors in this game, there's double that for cutscenes: one for when you approach the door, then you get to play exciting door opening gameplay, then another cutscene to show you closing the door and approaching the next. And if it isn't a cutscene for a door, it's a cutscene for a tutorial, or incidental character interactions, or for a ladder... It drives me nuts. This game is like a long hallway that's sectioned off with doorways and every two steps, you have to watch a video about the upcoming door.

In the 23 years since the original, interactivity has changed for games. We've moved past having to watch pre-rendered cinematics for everything now. Technology allows us to make full games that already look like them and have woven those moments that we could only watch into the actual game itself. The producers of the remake are quoted as saying they've looked to the Witcher series and other "world adventure" games to get inspiration on how to handle the remake's ideas, but I think they took away the wrong impressions. This game all at once looks new but feels old. Even somehow older than the 23-year-old original.

While playing it, I just couldn't help but compare this game to another PS4 title that completely rebuilt one of its franchises and it worked: God of War. It is still my favorite game on the PS4. It was once a Devil May Cry-like hack-n-slash but it was completely reimagined---rebuilt from the ground up---and it worked. To its highest potential. Almost everything in that game worked for me; the combat was tight, responsive, and gratifying to execute (literally); everything was easily tracked, nothing ever left your field of view; and despite it too being linear, it felt big, full, and rich with every detail thought out and in its place.

FFVII: Remake doesn't do any of that. At least, not well.

Thinking on it now, the ultimate gripe for me stems from the very nature of the Remake existing. All of the problems I have with it branch from it. It's not a "complete" game. Finished but not complete. The fractured structure of this Remake to exploit its name and popularity, and the ultimate padding and sloppiness that comes from cramming dull filler to blow something of actual very little content into something bigger. Midgar was only about 4-5 hours worth of gameplay in the original before the story took you out of it, and you could return any time, until it was blocked for story reasons in Disk 2 in the original. But this game is just Midgar, and blown up into 30 hours (if you breeze through it on "Easy"). The worst of it is that there's two more parts, at the full price tag of 60 bucks a pop, which will continue exactly as this first installment has laid out. And after spending 180 bucks over the course of 3-4 years, we can finally have a faulty-but-pretty, but more importantly, complete remake of one of the industry's most lauded titles.

Great.

TL;DR - I blame Tetsuya Nomura.

Last edited:
So now that I've played more in the FF7 Remake, I can say that it is fun, but still different. I think most of all for me, and countless others saying pretty much the same thing, is the filler that wasn't in the original. Some is good and helps, while other parts of it just drags on and is really pointless other than just adding more playtime. I've not finished the game yet, but so far, the stupidest part is where you have to turn off these huge giant lights so you can power one small elevator. That whole chapter could have been done without. I'd much rather a bit shorter Midgar play, and had at least some part of the world to explore in.
We're all hoping at that this can be done in 3 parts, but knowing Sqaure and the money their making, they'll milk this into 5 or 6 parts at $60 a pop.
Music is alright, but still doesn't have that bang of the original.

...We're all hoping at that this can be done in 3 parts, but knowing Sqaure and the money their making, they'll milk this into 5 or 6 parts at $60 a pop.
Music is alright, but still doesn't have that bang of the original.

I would never finish this if they did that. It would just devolve more and more into Kingdom Hearts nonsense gibberish and I'd just rather play the old game 12 more times.

Just stop it with the remasters already. It's so lazy. I appreciate the work they do to update the textures and models or whatever, but I'd rather they put that to use on a new game. I can almost feel Disney looking at KOTOR and thinking they can make a quick buck on a remaster.

So I just got to chapter 13, right after sector 7 plate is destroyed.
These guys really need to learn what pacing a story means. All that pointless filler was ridiculous.
Parts that actually help the story and expand on character development, sure, thats fine, but just TOO much stupid stuff.
The ghost train section I was getting SO MAD. JUST GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!!!!! Sure, we're trying to race to the plate about to be destroyed, but first, lets take about 2 hours to learn about these pointless ghost and fight a few stupid annoying bosses.
One thing that really makes me mad, is trying to heal and the enemy breaks your turn, wasting the magic but not getting healed.
Sorry, but I want to go strangle a few people over at Square for these stupid choices.
But, when it does get back to the actual story from the original, then its great and really shines.

anyone hear any more news about the N64 classic? will that ever come out?

I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. The only Nintendo rumor I am hearing about lately is that Nintendo will be releasing a number of older Mario games remastered for Mario's 35th Anniversary.

I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. The only Nintendo rumor I am hearing about lately is that Nintendo will be releasing a number of older Mario games remastered for Mario's 35th Anniversary.

Dang it

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back