The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

I'm in the mood for an entertaining FPS. Probably leaning towards single player, since I get my multiplayer fix from SW: Battlefront for now.

Most likely, the game will not run on my PC, since I'm running the following specs:

AMD Radeon 5800 w/1GB VRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
6.0 GB RAM

It's a high-end-for-2010 system, which means it can't run a lot of modern games.

I'm curious about the Call of Duty games out there. I've never been that into the series, although I've played COD2, COD3, MW2, and Black Ops 1. Mostly I found the SP games to be ride-on-rails shooters, that vary in terms of how fun they are. Some are reasonably entertaining, most are kinda blah. Not terrible, just blah.

I gather their recent games have gotten more interesting, what with Black Ops 2, Advanced Warfare, and Infinite Warfare. I heard Ghosts was ok, too. Can anyone vouch for these games for the SP content?

Also, why the hell are these games so damn expensive? Half of them are 10 years old and are still selling for $10 used at Gamestop. WTF?

So tonight my buddy was talking about wanting to play some GTA V again. We haven't played in forever, and I can't even find my copy of the game...so I just told him I'd buy another copy it's got to be a $20 bin game by now.

That game is still $50 new. Sure I can get one used, but it got me thinking...how can a game that originally came out nearly four years ago still fetch $50???

It was then that I read that GTA V has shipped over 80 MILLION copies of the game. It's the #1 selling game in the UK this year, and the #4 selling game in the US. It sold more copies in 2016 than it did in 2015. Basically, they're still selling a ton of them...so no wonder they're still charging pretty much full original MSRP for it!!!

I just can't believe that it's sold that many copies. That just seems insane to me.

Yeah it's nuts how these games still sell even for used copies.

So can anyone offer suggestions on FPS games with good singleplayer? I would try BF4 or the COD games, or some gh ing else. Destiny maybe? I dunno what else is out there, really.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah it's nuts how these games still sell even for used copies.

So can anyone offer suggestions on FPS games with good singleplayer? I would try BF4 or the COD games, or some gh ing else. Destiny maybe? I dunno what else is out there, really.

Destiny's single player is pretty terrible. The story is basically non-existent. It's a fun game, but if you're not planning on playing with others it's not worth the trouble.

Have you played Far Cry 3 or Far Cry 4? Both are excellent titles with fun open worlds and top notch mechanics. I thought the story in 3 was better, but the setting of 4 was better. Either way, they are both pretty great games.

I played 3 and Blood Dragon. Didn't play 4. I was a little meh on what the story sounded like. Same with Primal.

I played 3 and Blood Dragon. Didn't play 4. I was a little meh on what the story sounded like. Same with Primal.

I didn't enjoy Primal at all. It was...just...weird to me. I also didn't particularly enjoy the weapon choices in it.

If you enjoyed 3, you'll enjoy 4. Pagan Min is a pretty good bad guy. I think the reason that it's story suffers a little is because it's very similar in tone to 3, so it doesn't seem as "fresh" as the story for 3 did.

I'll think about it, yeah. I'm also starting to think about maybe just upgrading my pc. New vidcard, some more ram. That's buy me a few more years before the cpu needs an upgrade at which point I might just get a new rig.

So tonight my buddy was talking about wanting to play some GTA V again. We haven't played in forever, and I can't even find my copy of the game...so I just told him I'd buy another copy it's got to be a $20 bin game by now.

That game is still $50 new. Sure I can get one used, but it got me thinking...how can a game that originally came out nearly four years ago still fetch $50???

It was then that I read that GTA V has shipped over 80 MILLION copies of the game. It's the #1 selling game in the UK this year, and the #4 selling game in the US. It sold more copies in 2016 than it did in 2015. Basically, they're still selling a ton of them...so no wonder they're still charging pretty much full original MSRP for it!!!

I just can't believe that it's sold that many copies. That just seems insane to me.

they sold a ton of them in the ps4 bundles. That's why thee numbers might be so high. I haven't even opened my copy that I got with the system. Likely just covered in dust on the shelf. If I can locate it, you can have it. Just pay for the shipping or pick up / meet up since you're not too far from me. Unless you are wanting the Xbox version..then I can't help you out.

In other news. Dragon's dogma is being released again in a HD form in oct. It's one of the better rpg style games.

Last edited:
Have you played Far Cry 3 or Far Cry 4? Both are excellent titles with fun open worlds and top notch mechanics. I thought the story in 3 was better, but the setting of 4 was better. Either way, they are both pretty great games.

I agree with that, although the characters in FC3 are pretty bad, even for the protagonist, he was a ********* that I wanted to die. And remember, Far Cry 5 is coming up soon and that looks amazing.

I don't think they ever discount GTA games until years after. I got GTA V right when it came out, but they really screwed everyone because there was never any SP DLC. They figured they could milk GTA online and they are making so much money they don't care about SP.

I never played any Far Cry games other than FC2, and it was awful. I haven't bought one since.

Fc1 was basically a mildly fun tech demo. Fc2 was a drag. It had some interesting ideas, but the implementation sucked. It was vastly improved in FC3, which I quite enjoyed. And Blood Dragon was goofy fun, too. Haven't played 4, but I'll likely pick it up on discount eventually.

I had been 10 years behind on video games until last year. Then I finally bought a new PC and could play all these games I've been dying to, like Bioshock Infinite and GTA V.

I'm amazed I could play any GTA games before with my old PC. GTA was my gateway into games, really. Before that, I would only play SNES roms or whatever else like that.

I think I prefer 3rd person action games most and on PC, but I also have a PS3 that I found at a yard sale and have gotten into that somewhat too. I can't do aiming on a controller though. I could never play a GTA or FPS on it. I did find the Assassin's Creed franchise, to which I bought the first 6 games and am on 4, and my new obsession is Persona 5.

I also love the Fire Emblem games on 3DS.

If you like 3rd person, get all three Mass Effect games. They are kind of RPG light with 3rd person action. They also have a really great story. Well, up to the last 5 mins. or so of ME3...

If you like 3rd person, get all three Mass Effect games. They are kind of RPG light with 3rd person action. They also have a really great story. Well, up to the last 5 mins. or so of ME3...

I heard ME1 was good but flawed, ME2 was a masterpiece and then 3 did literally everything wrong and even brought back parts of 1 that didn't work (and that they fixed in 2). Is it true?

They were all good until the last 5 mins. of ME3 and that's where it fell apart. Some people don't like ME2 as much because they thought it had too much story and not enough action, but I didn't. I can't recall anyone not liking the first game other than saying it didn't have enough RPG elements.

I heard ME1 was good but flawed, ME2 was a masterpiece and then 3 did literally everything wrong and even brought back parts of 1 that didn't work (and that they fixed in 2). Is it true?

It's worth looking into. I'll do some research for now before I decide to buy.

Must've been a real **** ending to literally crumble so badly in the last 5 minutes after 3 solid games.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back