The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by KrangPrime, Sep 9, 2015.

1. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Managed to score a Nintendo SNES mini off of Think Geek. Freaking bots everywhere. Between my wife and I logging on to multiple sights trying to get one during Friday's release, you would see multiple sites post in stock, and then a second later say sold out. Still don't see how we did it. Really looking forward to playing these cool retro games with the kids.

Solos blaster, Snikt and Spiderstella like this.
  2. AssCred

AssCred Active Member

It's just weird that every single play through I can find of it has everyone walking with their gun drawn 100% of the time. It gave that impression.

How is it on console vs PC? I generally have no issues playing a third person shooter on console.

(Please quote me, so I'll see your reply. I didn't think to check this until now because I got no notification)

3. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Every mission where there's combat, you'll have your gun drawn. If you're outside combat your weapons are folded up on your back and belt. I can't speak to console, I've only played it on PC. IMO you can aim better with a mouse so I had no problem.

4. AssCred

AssCred Active Member

So the gun drawing doesn't cease when on missions? Hmm... And that's not cumbersome?

I'll have to view more footage before I decide to buy or not. I'm just trying to imagine any third person shooter I like where you can't just hold your gun without drawing it in a mission... hmm. It doesn't happen. I don't know if I would find that annoying or not.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  5. Sluis Van Shipyards

I haven't played it for awhile, but according to Google you can holster you weapons. When you're on a mission, stuff is shooting at you, so it's not really that big of a deal.

6. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

7. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Why isn’t anyone doing Nightfall raids or leviathan raids on Destiny 2? I’m having a hell of a time finding clan mates to squad up and you need 6 @ least

8. Gimpdiggity

Gimpdiggity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Because theyre not fun at all???

I LOVED Nightfalls in the first game...challenging, but a ton of fun. In this game?? The "if you don't finish in time" modifiers suck the fun out of it and make it feel like a chore. You constantly feel rushed, and it's just not at all entertaining.

The Raid?? The perfection it requires to complete is a bit ridiculous. Limiting the number of revives is a poor design choice in my opinion. The "stealth" portion of the Pleasure Gardens is clunky and glitchy. Bungie should have learned after the Gorgons in VoG that they don't do stealth well. The Gauntlet requires a ton of communication and solid teamwork, and if you've got one guy that struggles when it has everyone run then it's basically a wipe. Callus himself is extremely irritating because of the Psions that launch you in the air with their grenades...which means that one guy gets hit with one of those and it's a wipe, unless you sent four into the Void, which means you need two 304-ish players controlling the throne room on their own. This leaves the Baths, which in my opinion is the only fun section of the Raid, other than opening the doors in Castellum. Heck, even getting your rewards is a chore as you navigate the underbelly of the ship.

The whole thing feels more like work than a game. I have finished every section multiple times, and defeated Callus once...and I honestly don't care if I ever finish it again. In my opinion, it is just an irritating mess that doesn't bring me any joy at all.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  9. Gimpdiggity

Gimpdiggity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mario Odyssey for Switch is pretty amazing.

10. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

I still plan on getting a Switch just for Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart possibly in January unless there are some black Friday sales beforehand. Still want to upgrade my video card on the PC to get my Total War Warhammer on. The best thing about Mario Odyssey I have heard from reviews is that they are saying it is pretty much the true sequel to Mario 64 which means it's the Mario game I had been waiting for since Mario 64. Never got into Mario Sunshine or the Galaxy series. Dare I say I even hope Nintendo also go down the remaster route and give us a remaster of Mario 64?

EDIT: Also completely forgot my original intention of popping in to this post; if there are any fans of Nintendo's old Advance Wars military strategy series, November 21st Tiny Metal (aka Advance Wars 3d) is being released for Switch, Steam and PS4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXx0c1XbR4A

Additionally, Chucklefish of Stardew Valley fame are doing an Advance Wars style game called Wargroove using the traditional 2d graphics the series is known for, except set in a medieval fantasy setting for the first time. Also coming to Switch, PS4 and Steam in early 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_O9Py2QK3E

It's also set to include a story, map and campaign editor on each platform and Chucklefish have also said the game will likely be open to complete modding on the PC, which obviously means Game of Thrones Advance Wars and or The Black Company Advance Wars. Or even historical based mods now that I think of it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Gimpdiggity likes this.
  11. VilleLeskinen

VilleLeskinen Sr Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Has anyone played Cuphead? Don't really care much for newer games but this one really caught my attention. Will be buying it wednesday to play at gamenights (we've been playing Contra and other older games, so this fits the bill)!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    US3R and Bones_68 like this.
  12. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been following it because I love 30s cartoons and they've NAILED it.

However, it looks REALLY frustrating to play. I think it would stress me out. The fun part, for me, is the design and what the bosses do....which I can enjoy by watching play-thrus on YouTube.

VilleLeskinen likes this.
  13. EmmaInCandyland

EmmaInCandyland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

buy it, it's amazing!!!!

VilleLeskinen likes this.
  14. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

Wow! That looks and sounds AWESOME!

15. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

Probably the most honest review you'll get on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  16. VilleLeskinen

VilleLeskinen Sr Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

OH MY! My thumb is killing me! What an awesome game! Very stressfull for the eyes though...in a good way!:lol

17. Sluis Van Shipyards

I saw some talk about that game, but I'm not a huge platform gamer anymore. I may pick it up when I'm bored though.

18. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I only play platform games if I can Game Genie my way through it, basically. I have no interest in slamming my head against the wall that is the average platformer's difficulty.

19. Sluis Van Shipyards

Same here. My nephew got some Donkey Kong games for Wii several years back and it was too hard for him at the time, but he wanted to watch me play through it. I got to a certain point where it was so freaking hard I just gave up. I grew up with NES games that you couldn't hardly save, and it was still too hard. That's not fun to me.

20. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

I'm the same way. I grew up on the incredibly hard games, especially in arcades, which were just quarter-eaters and I could play them, but today, I'm just way too old for that stuff. Games are supposed to be fun, not frustrating and there are a lot of games out there that are just frustrating. Cuphead looks great, but it's an old-school platformer and I just don't tolerate those anymore. Even my kids aren't interested in that kind of thing. And if I'm not having fun, I'm not playing, so... yeah... no thanks.

21. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

Ugh, Tiny Metal delayed until December 21st.

In other news, don't know if there are any fans of Sega's military strategy Valkyria Chronicles games, but Sega just made the year for fans of the seemingly forgotten series and announced Valkyria Chronicles 4 is not only in development but is 90% complete and will be arriving to all platforms in the Spring.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_otGpDTvbM

And if you haven't played the series before, the first game was remastered and released to PC and PS4 in 2016, while parts two and three were only ever released on the PSP.
    Remastered trailer for the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXJyXaD_Izw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL_VFvVD9AI

22. Sluis Van Shipyards

I'm only 40, I'm not old! The games are too hard! :lol ;)

23. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

I'm older than you are and I don't think they're that hard, especially when you compare them to things like Ikaruga and the original Contra and things like that, but difficulty has become more frustrating than fun these days and I don't play games to be frustrated, I play them to be entertained. I honestly don't want anything that hard. I want something that I will enjoy playing until it's done, then I can go play something else.

Solos blaster likes this.
  24. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

This is where I come out anymore. With the exception of a few online shooters, I don't play games to brag about difficulty. I play them for fun escapism in the limited free time I have. This is why I gave up on Dark Souls after about 6-8 hours. Screw that game. It's hard for the sake of being hard. Games like that, I have zero desire to play. Unless, of course, I can go into god mode and just screw around. That's fun for me sometimes, and it's how I tend to approach COD singleplayer games (I never play multiplayer in COD).

Outside of that, I tend to play turn based strategy or RPG games where I'm not having to fight the game itself just to enjoy myself.

25. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

Shooters are my thing, that's primarily what I play and what I enjoy. I absolutely detest multiplayer games and will never, ever engage in them. I find multiplayer, regardless of the game, to be about as toxic as you can get. I'm not there to challenge my skills, I'm there to have a good time in a casual manner and get through the game and go find another one. So I'm playing on normal or below difficulty. And sure, I've played God Mode before, mostly on replays where I just want to screw around, or with mods that make it nearly impossible to kill me. The last playthrough of Fallout 4, I had mods on from the start, I walked out of Vault 111 with X01 power armor and a gun that kills anything, including Mirelurk Queens and Deathclaws in one shot. Why? Because I already beat the game the regular way. It's not fun to do it all over again. Now sure, in a couple of years, I might go back and replay from the start clean, after I've forgotten how the game goes, but not right now.

I hate PvP. I'm really getting to hate PvE. I just want to have fun and shooting things for the sake of shooting them in an entertaining setting is fun. Whether they can shoot back is entirely irrelevant to me.

26. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Walked past an open display at the local Walmart. All the video games were gone except for a healthy shelf full of SW Battlefront II!

27. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

And from what news sites are reporting, Disney higher ups have been making some tersely worded phone calls to EA higher ups. They are not impressed at all by the current situation with the game and the potential damage to the brand. EA's stock has taken quite a hit from this as well. This is definitely going to make publishers think long and hard about how they handle things like this in the future.

28. ower

ower Active Member

which just proves people are emotional and put in 0 effort researching anything. They just need to feel like they're a part of something and jump on the bandwagon.. I'll give vegas odds all those games that were gone were the current releases like COD: WWII and NBA18K etc.... all full of RNG micro transactions you can buy with money and in the case of NBA18K, straight up P2W. All the stuff gamers were apparently outraged about in SWBFII. Even the current AC game, while doesn't have Crates you can buy with real money, still contains RNG crates you buy with ingame money you earn.

29. Sluis Van Shipyards

There's a big difference between what you can buy and what it does in the game. I don't care if people can buy things in the game, I just don't want those things to give someone an unfair advantage. If someone put the time in and unlock something, then that's fine if they are better. I just don't want Joe Blow buying the game and five minutes later having everything unlocked. I also don't have a problem if they do what Battlefield 3 or 4 (I forgot which) where after the game was out for a year they started allowing people to buy some or all of the upgrades. The people who already put the time in had the rank to have those unlocks so by then it didn't make any difference and let new people get into the game on a fairer playing field.

30. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

And I'm sure most of them were bought by well-meaning family members buying things for Christmas. That's why stores put slow-selling merchandise on endcaps around Christmas because people buy what they see and it's a way to get rid of things that otherwise don't sell.

31. Sluis Van Shipyards

32. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

I wouldn't mind a space sim set in the Star Wars universe. Something like X-series or Elite.

33. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

I won't play anything but single player games, so apparently, someone is just wrong.

34. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Same here. I've played a few games where you help each other out online, but much prefer by myself. Any game where is VS someone, I always get killed/beaten, because those people live and breath the game so much, you have no chance.

35. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

It's less about what's researched, and more about what's breaking through to popular culture and the broader internet outside of gamer crowds. The gamers paid attention, mostly but the big difference is that the news broke through to a LOT of mainstream news. The gambling aspect of this also probably made parents wary.

To be honest, I don't really care whether they have a store where you can directly purchase the upgrades you want. These games reward investment of time or money; they don't really reward skill. And really, they shouldn't be giving people in-game advantages at all, especially not if they're already doing well. Most older games had progression systems that were relatively manageable, and which were more about "sidegrades" than "upgrades." This game is ALL about upgrades, and requires massive time investment to progress.

I wish games just didn't have progression systems at all. Let people use their guns and abilities equally from the start. That, to my way of thinking, is the only way that player skill really ends up mattering.

Exactly. And because the well-meaning parents didn't see news about NBA2k18 or other games including loot boxes, but DID see all the stuff about "Star Wars gambling!" they are a lot more likely to skip the game they know has a problem and buy the game they're totally unaware has a problem.

36. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer. Most fun I've ever had playing PvP.

37. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Yes!!! My go-to example of ideal multiplayer. I had some of the best experiences playing on this server called Timelords. And the best part was that the game really rewarded support classes. Lieutenant and Medic were regularly top scorers. That's just not the case with most online shooters anymore, which prioritize kills over teamplay.

Axlotl likes this.
  38. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

Actually, I was wrong, I will play cooperative games like the Lego games with my wife but I will never play with anyone online, especially strangers. It isn't about getting beaten, although considering you have a lot of fanatics out there, that happens. It's just that the online communities of most games are toxic. High testosterone, low class, obnoxious jerks who spend all of their time dick waving and don't care what they have to do to win.

Pass.

39. Sluis Van Shipyards

Like real life friends, you just have to find a good group to play with. The last multiplayer games I played were Battlefield 3/4 and I found a really cool clan Xtreme Idiots and it was a blast. They played the objectives and banned jerks and it encouraged other people to play that way.

40. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

41. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

that had alarmingly little to do with the game as ads go. Love EDF. Hope they do a PSVR.

doc

42. Spiderstella

Spiderstella Sr Member

43. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I'm playing Skyrim. Having more fun than I thought I would.
    Why can't I adopt just one more kid? It breaks my heart to see Sofie sleeping on the cold ground in Windhelm. :cry

44. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

I've been replaying through the Far Cry series, currently on Far Cry Primal, while waiting for Far Cry 5. Can't wait.

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  45. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

We got a Nintendo Switch at Christmas and while we have SM:Odyssey I'm kind of at a loss when it comes to the system as a whole. We love our Wii U and use it regularly, and so far the majority of Switch titles seems to be old multiplatform ports like Skyrim, and now newly announced ports of Wii U games like Hyrule Warriors and DK Tropical Freeze. BOTW is great but I beat it months ago for Wii U. No virtual console, obviously no backwards compatibility, it just feels a little punishing to people who invested in the prior generation. All the accessories like Pro Controllers are incompatible too which is just a cash grab.

46. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

These are neat, but I don't understand the "sold out everywhere" desire for them.

People can just go buy an original, cheap, and get a multi-cart or do the Raspberry Pi emulator thing.

@harrisonp
    Nintendo typically has lots of third party games the first year or so, then it usually drops off and the big games will be Nintendo and second party titles with drought in-between.

47. Spiderstella

Spiderstella Sr Member

I know what you saying, I have both the original and the mini, collectors also like them, also I think it takes people back to when they had one as a kid! they buy one to show there kids what kind of game they used to play etc..... and the rest is about people buying lots of them and making £€$
    i agree the original is great to have....
    whats other peoples thoughts?...

48. Seabass

Seabass Sr Member

for Switch owners, check out Stardew Valley. its not that new a game but I just recently got into it on PC and its crazy addicting.

49. Sluis Van Shipyards

I never bought Skyrim until the GOTY version was on sale on Steam. I didn't think I'd like it because the whole D&D/Conan/etc stuff was always boring so I dismissed it. I was way wrong. I think I played it four times in a row. Every time I see that girl in the game, I keep saying "It's a game..." then I still adopt her. You can adopt two kids if you have room for them. I think you have to have the Hearthfire DLC that let's you build a house. I don't think the houses in the main game have enough room for two kids, but I may be wrong. Although I seem to remember my nephew having two kids in the Markarth house you can buy.

Axlotl likes this.
  50. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

9732 Blade Runner. It's free on steam, it's not so much a game as it is a in depth tour of Deckard's Apartment from Blade Runner that can be experienced with and without VR and an atmospheric Vangelis soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIVhPW00tZ0