The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by KrangPrime, Sep 9, 2015.

1. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This was iOS.

I went to Google play and they still had the old games that you could pay for

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

Gotcha. I don't have much iOS experience, and frankly most mobile games have left me disappointed so my Android gaming habits are way down too.

3. astroboy

I'm a die-hard Android fan.

But recently I bought an iPad because for some silly reason, I thought it would be more conducive to kids.

I was so wrong.

4. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

I had an iPad briefly. Couldn't wrap my head around the OS. I like to be able to find things when I go looking for them in my technology.

5. astroboy

#neveragain

Strikerkc and Paul Andrew like this.
  6. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

Might as well bump this back up. With Red Dead Redemption 2 only a week away I'm pretty much expecting to see my entire friends list playing this release day.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Monkey67 and mcoractual like this.
  7. Monkey67

Monkey67 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

8. SickleClaw

SickleClaw Active Member

Currently playing LEGO DC SUPERVILLAINS, while i wait for Spiderman to release its first DLC. Shadow of the Tomb Raider will probably take a little bit longer break once the Spiderman DLC hits

9. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I just started playing Overwatch after getting it in the Humble Monthly. It's pretty fun so far, though a little overwhelming at first, since every toon has their own abilities and such. I'm settling into a few favorites and getting the hang of them. Also got Blood Bowl 2 as part of a sale, which so far seems good. I'm only playing the campaign in that at the moment, and getting used to some of the differences. Lots more polish in this one, though.

Paul Andrew likes this.
  10. Seabass

Seabass Sr Member

Been playing the new Assassin's Creed pretty much non stop. Its * good

11. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I can't get into those Assassin's Creed games. I got the Black Flag one free with my video card years ago and I played about 20 minutes. Stealth games always end up with me trying to sneak then getting killed by a mob when I inevitably slip up.

12. Seabass

Seabass Sr Member

I never got into them either, but the previous game, Origins, changed up the format a bit to be more action rpg like The Witcher and its really cool

13. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I've been watching the Mighty Jingles play Assasin's Creed Odyssey and watching it is making me seriously think of getting it. I only played through part of the first one and I thought it was really repetitive and the save system sucked and made things fustrating, but this one looks really good though. I think it might be my next game after I've finished playing through Battletech. Hopefully there's enough time before Cyberpunk comes out to finish AC.

Speaking of Battletech, anyone here playing it? I'm pretty close to finishing, I'm on the third or fourth (I think) to last story mission, the timed one where you have to take out the 3 generators. So far, that's proving to be a bit of pain, it's proving a touch tricky to get to the second and third generators before time runs out. But I think I figured out how to do it since the last time around I went the wrong way and took too long.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  14. Seabass

Seabass Sr Member

Oh yea, Battletech is great. haven't beat it yet, just been flying around doing contract after contract for money and salvage to build more toys.
    Got a pretty solid lance of Highlander with gauss/2xPPC, Highlander with 4xLRM15, Stalker with 5xLargeLaser, 4th slot I change out depending on the mission, Atlas with 2xAC10+, with assorted backup weapons for double chance at insta headshots, or a King Crab with AC20/4xSRM6

Riceball likes this.
  15. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Sadly, I can't run battletech on my current rig. But I plan to when I upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Riceball likes this.
  16. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

Cyberpunk 2077 is so far off I am actually going to hold off getting the PS4 version as I fully expect it to release around the time the PS5 will be coming out and like with games like GTAV and Last of Us there will probably be an upscaled port pumped out for the next gen consoles. I actually have Battletech but am holding off on playing it until the expansion comes out in November. I already have it pre-ordered on steam. On console I have an immense backlog and am still going through Dragon Quest XI and on PC I've been playing Deep Sky Derelicts and just bought RimWorld.

Also some intense rumors going around now about the future of the Metal Gear series which has me cautiously optimistic.

17. Sluis Van Shipyards

I'm getting Battletech as soon as the next Steam sale hits. I missed it a couple weeks back.

Riceball likes this.
  18. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

For all of you Battletech players or future players, as a bit of an FYI, there's an interesting accomplishment in the game, you get it for
    killing an Orion, with a Precision Shot to the head, with an AC20
    . I found it to be a rather odd accomplishments and a very specific one too, even though I got it a few days ago, I'm still kind of surprised that I got it since it was so unexpected.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  19. Strikerkc

Strikerkc Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

About a week away you say?...

20. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

Two days away now.

21. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

Holy crap. Just announced.

R.P. McMurphy likes this.
  22. Sluis Van Shipyards

I remember playing the last Mechwarrior 4 multiplayer and this guy was constantly one shot killing people. Eventually we figured out that if you hit right to the cockpit it was a headshot. So he was killing people with a gauss rifle (I think...). I could never pull it off correctly. It was more fun to blow their leg off then run circles around them finishing them off. :lol

Riceball likes this.
  23. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Headshots are hard in the new Battletech too, but I got lucky in that particular mission and actually managed two succesful called shots to the head.

Depending on how many and what kind of mechs are on the field I vary my called shots. If I need to clear the field some I'll just do called shots to center torso to get them our of the way, this works really well with light and some medium mechs because, these days, I'm fielding a mix of heavy and assault mechs in my lance. If I'm not in that big of a hurry, got heavier mechs, or if it's a mech I really want to salvage I'll go for a combination of the side torsos and legs. Blow one leg off and the mech falls and the pilot takes an injury, blow off a side torso that's an injury as well, 3-4 injuries and the pilot is down for the count and you can get full salvage from the mech, thus earning a free mech to sell or add to your lance/collection. But I have a hard time with that because I end up doing so much damage to center torso in the process that I'm seldomly able to knock the pilot out without blowing up the entire mech first.

24. Strikerkc

Won't lie, that intelevision console is more interesting to me than anything Nintendo has put out in a decade or more.

Nth likes this.
  25. Seabass

Seabass Sr Member

With Called Shot Mastery and the right weapons, headshots are still worth going for. AC10 with bonus damage is enough to take it out in 1 shot. Even with the balance patch they did a while back to morale/precision shot, its worth trying for depending on the situation. Especially once you get to fighting mostly assault mechs. Either use turns to burn thru all that armor while getting shot at, or use a couple turns to land that lucky one hit kill for full salvage. Still its best to take a somewhat well rounded approach so you don't get RNG screwed. Good STAB damage for knockdowns is great, I try to keep a mix of energy and ammo based builds now after running out of ammo in a mission with no lasers left and got cheesed by turrets.

Riceball likes this.
  26. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I agree, I do enjoy going to the occasional headshot figuring that even if I miss, I'm probably going to still hit the center torso anyway. I also go for the stability damage, every mech in my lance is capable of doing stab damage to one degree or another. My best is my Orion missile boat which is equipped with 2xLRM 15 & 1xLRM 20 and one of the 15s and the 20 has bonus stab damage.

27. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

Playstation Classic Mini games list finally announced:

Soulinertia likes this.
  28. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

I still play my 360, though my stepson has an Xbox one.
    I haven't bought a brand new game in forever, usually hit up eBay, Amazon and the various second hand gaming shops like disc traders or game stop.

Current game obsession is Diablo III. And I picked up The Force Unleashed I and II last weekend.
    I play the Marvel and Star Wars games for Disney Infinity 3.0 & 2.0, and pretty much any of the Lego games.

I have a few of the Xbox original games that are reverse compatible with the 360, like Republic Commando. Eventually I'll download the original Battlefront I and II. I hated the newer Battlefront, and haven't gotten BFII.
    I like FPS games, but only if they have a single player offline campaign mode.

Axlotl and Riceball like this.
  29. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Diablo III is a fun game, I played the hell out of it when it came out. I've played it completely through, start to end, about 3- 4 times with 2 different characters. My only complaint about the game, and it's a minor one, is that by the second play through with a character it gets ridiculously easy, bosses that gave me trouble the first time around are now really easy to deal with, don't mention regular mobs. But it's still fun trying to find better gear and upgrading the gear that I already have to as high a level as possible.

30. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

Resident Evil 2 Remake looking so good:

I actually pre-ordered the special edition.

31. Chevyh0tr0d

Chevyh0tr0d Well-Known Member

Learned something new today while enjoying my SNES mini... Apparently in ff3/ff6 for the snes the timer stops at 99 hours and 59 minutes no matter what you do...

ff3 timer.jpg

32. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

First time i ever played ff6, i hit the timer to the max. Probably had like 150 plus hours in it.

33. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

Mortal Kombat XI trailer revealed:

Also Crash Team Racing, Sony's early counterpoint to Nintendo's Mario Kart finally making a long overdo return:

34. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

I'm super excited for Obsidian's new game The Outer Worlds. Hopefully it can be the Fallout we always wanted

35. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i hope the min N64 happens

harrisonp likes this.
  36. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

It certainly looks promising. Assuming it works as good as it looks, I'll be buying it.

harrisonp likes this.
  37. Chevyh0tr0d

I never managed to get the timer to max.. I would get 70-80 hours in it on either the original SNES or the PS1 and the snes my cartridges(2 diff ones) the save files kept getting corrupted, and with the PS1 i would lose my memory cards(they were to * small). Never got around to getting higher than the WOB with it on my ps3 or ps4 either. So finally now that I am not working and have a lot of free time, and managed to pick one up after building up a little spare cash decided to finally try and beat it all the way through along with getting all my guys to 99 and getting them all magic

38. Chevyh0tr0d

I pre-ordered the special edition as well on steam, looks very promising can not wait to try and it and see what changes they made.

39. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Very time consuming for sure, but fun. Playing 6 on snes as 3 was my first final fantasy. I thought you had to get everyone to level 99 before you could beat the game. Last boss sure was easy.....oops.

40. Chevyh0tr0d

Yea 3 on snes was my first FF as well. I also never managed to take down Kefka each time I would try I would only level one party to bout 60 and get the main magic(cure3,life 3,elemental 3, ultima) also never bothered to much to level up their magic power etc. So I would always lose them part way through. This attempt though got everyone to 99 and their mag power to max(128 even though technically max is 255 the bonuses stop at 128) last get them every spell possible(went with meteor/odin instead of raiden)... Made the whole last dungeon a breeze and Kefka himself, only lost 1 guy along the way due to magic right b4 one of the 3 phases of kefka died and me not payin attention to their hp.

41. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

I once attempted a low level challenge. Levels were around 13 to 14 when I got to the final battle. But wasn't able to beat it. Some of the boss fights leading up to the final i cheated a bit, using the invisable x-zone cheat to instantly kill a boss. But it doesn't work on the final boss.

42. Sluis Van Shipyards

I've been playing Skyrim again for the last few months. The one thing that bugged me is that there are no restrictions on your character. I'm head of the Thieves Guild and a Nightingale, head Mage of Winterhold, Harbinger of the Companions, The Listener of the Dark Brotherhood, Thane of EVERY hold, Savior of the World, etc Not to mention I've been the agent of just about every Daedra in the game. I'm guessing there's going to be an epic war between them when I die to see who actually gets my soul for eternity! tEToMcO.gif

43. Strikerkc

Not to mention that the things in the game and lore make it possible, neigh, likely, that the particular Dragonborn you play as in Skyrim is the God Shor, gone walkabout.

44. Chevyh0tr0d

I heard and seem some people doing that it is to gnarly for me to try... However I did watch Games Done quick 2014 and this year and see Puxetil(not sure if that how u spell it) do speed runs for it in like 8 to 9 hours both times... I can not imagine that one to much either

45. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

The big Christmas sale on PSN has been going on for a few days now. Picked up over $300 worth of stuff for $67 so far.

46. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

So Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out in a month. Sure hope waiting for over 12 years has been worth it. Anyone got a preorder on it? I've only put 30 down so far, but I'll put some more next week.

47. Sluis Van Shipyards

I bought the old Star Trek 25th Anniversary game on sale at GOG. I install it and fire it up. I don't read the manual because this game is from 92 so surely my vast gaming experience from that time doesn't require the manual! I get orders to go investigate some planet so I find the star map and try to figure out where to go. Okay there's lots of planets, but no description. I'll pick one at random. The ship goes to warp, comes out "YOU HAVE VIOLATED THE KLINGON NEUTRAL ZONE! PREPARE TO DIE!" Dead. That was within 3 mins of starting the game. tEToMcO.gif

48. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

I hear that they write a manual to help with this type stuff.

Sluis Van Shipyards likes this.
  49. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

I've had it on pre-order for years. I pre-ordered it on Amazon.ca back when it was first put up during an E3 sale so I still have it pre-ordered at the super discounted price of $49.99 Canadian which is good considering games cost $80 before taxes now and about $91 after taxes. I still haven't played the first games in the series but I did buy the re-releases that came out on PS4 and know almost nothing about them accept that they are pretty highly acclaimed. I'll play through the whole series when they are all out. I am just glad Square-Enix can finally get this out the door and hopefully get to work on that Final Fantasy VII Remake.

In the meantime, I've picked up Battle Brothers on Steam. An excellent minimalist strategy series about building up a medieval band of mercenaries and running your custom built mercenary company. Take contracts, deal with map events and the intricacies of personnel, equipment and economy management in your company. You could call it Sim Mercenary Company pretty much as the game has so much depth to it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  50. Chevyh0tr0d

Ordered myself one the other day set to arrive next week sometime... Have been reading a bunch and watching youtube videos apparently you can add games to it via a usb drive. Gonna try it and see if it works... Looks like in all the videos it works, hopefully it does not delete the games already put on it forcing me to manually add them back, because there is a few I definitely want to play from the 20-30 games already on there including MSG and FF7... Will let you all know how it goes