The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook

I would consider suggesting a wiki-type page where people can come in and edit entries as needed, but then you run into the problem of false or conflicting information bleeding in.

Or maybe a wiki run by a group of trusted experts, who can break up the workload among them and are the only ones able to edit pages.

I would consider suggesting a wiki-type page where people can come in and edit entries as needed, but then you run into the problem of false or conflicting information bleeding in.

Or maybe a wiki run by a group of trusted experts, who can break up the workload among them and are the only ones able to edit pages.
Wiki style page would be a nightmare imo for the reasons you stated

Selecting experts can be sticky on TheRPF no? :p
At least for some of these props conjecture and expert are still somewhat subjective when there are questions in the air.

Personally I prefer factual consensus (or at best proven hypothesis with the support of community consensus)
But that is basically what the Bible already is under Seth’s watch. A distilled filtering of fact, deliberation, and consensus compiled into one document (with verbiage to allow for error and new discovery of not already deemed fact)

I can’t blame Seth for not wanting to include anything that hasn’t reached consensus and I wouldn’t want him to either

Last edited:
We’ve got enough factual data for a single page spread on the cave Hero, I think the other experts can corroborate there even if some images are technically locked up.

Honestly what I see is the expansion of a single document has become cumbersome as more “Star Wares” are being added (ok I’m coining that term)

It could be (if considering reformatting…) a division to clean up all the entries by splitting documents into separate prequel, OT, and sequel+.

I know that doesn’t solve the immediate issue but most of the contended data is coming in from the new movies and shows as you mentioned… but perhaps something to consider moving towards in the long run to make it more bite sized as new information gets uncovered
My first thoughts, is we need something like a Wiki type thing for this. It could edited, pictures added. It would be easier to post numerous theories, and they could be credited to various users.

My first thoughts, is we need something like a Wiki type thing for this. It could edited, pictures added. It would be easier to post numerous theories, and they could be credited to various users.
I edited my post just before this but - basically if it’s an open wiki it *would* become a problem of info between people who do know and others who *think* they know.

I just see a headache there tbh.

I would’ve been mad at a statement like this before but as Seth said there are people on this board who are privy to images and knowledge they’re sworn not to share fully (at least now) and are often written off as liars because of how frustrating that is for everyone else.
The simple answer is that some of them (or their close friends) might be legally liable if something is over-shared. Meanwhile alternative hypothesis flourish.

I’m just getting at…. I understand why Seth hesitates on certain punch lists, items, and those issues while considering updates
Sesame Street Idk GIF

Last edited:

That's precisely why I suggested a WordPress site, because a dedicated staff of authorized users is the way we prevent misinformation, fan rumor, and head canon from permeating the Jurassic-Pedia encyclopedia. Instead we have a private group chat of dedicated researchers who work on accessing, recording, archiving, and discussing the materials, and then writing entries based as close to the source material as we can get, which includes the purchase of original props, concepts, story bibles, unmatted reels, and whatever else we can get our hands on.

Wiki style page would be a nightmare imo for the reasons you stated

Selecting experts can be sticky on TheRPF no? :p
At least for some of these props conjecture and expert are still somewhat subjective when there are questions in the air.

Personally I prefer factual consensus (or at best proven hypothesis with the support of community consensus)
But that is basically what the Bible already is under Seth’s watch. A distilled filtering of fact, deliberation, and consensus compiled into one document (with verbiage to allow for error and new discovery of not already deemed fact)

I can’t blame Seth for not wanting to include anything that hasn’t reached consensus and I wouldn’t want him to either

Yep.

If the problem here comes down to time/workload, then perhaps a few helpful hands could collate information and pass revisions on to Seth for final approval before incorporation into the book. Ghostwriters, so to speak.

I'd like to add my 2 cents SethS
everyone, please hear me out and read to the bottom of this post before interpreting it.

We are in an age of the prop replica hobby in which we are very spoiled when it comes to information. We have insider info, we have better images, we have the ability to flesh multiple images together and draw conclusions ourselves. It wasn't always this way, and our expectations are different now. PartsofSW had a website that was updated less often than we liked, but it was still a prized source. Seth has gone way beyond that with serving us. The fact Seth was able to update anything within a year is something I am thankful for. Expecting the PDF to be up to date with current arguments, or expecting it to use contentious information is utterly ridiculous.

I think the last update I sent over was that the Barbican is the ANH Vader stunt - which was confirmed by Brandon A publicly and by us at the RPF with piles of photos rather quickly, and the news just hadn't reached the PDF.

I feel most of the good information is fine the way it is, the basic lightsabers and their general construction, the general parts, etc. Seth, I think it's fine you haven't updated things, especially because very little has been confirmed in the past year, unless I'm remembering incorrectly. Things that are up-in-the-air (numbers of Obi Wan stunts, pipe stunts, etc.) should just say that for now. I'm sorry if I've ever sent over things I discovered that weren't publicly confirmed yet or were just theories. I haven't done a lot of that, I recently had lots of people not believe me that an electrical bulb was clear after posting disassembly photos. twice. :D communication is weird around here lately.

I get the pain in the ass that the PDF is, so maybe transferring it to a WIX or wordpress website would be a great idea in the long run. Not to serve other people but to serve yourself.

TLDR: please stop getting on Seth's case for unproven facts or niche community knowledge, that's not what the PDF is for. I don't want unrealistic expectations to ruin a great go-to resource for basic facts.

I edited my post just before this but - basically if it’s an open wiki it *would* become a problem of info between people who do know and others who *think* they know.

I just see a headache there tbh.

I would’ve been mad at a statement like this before but as Seth said there are people on this board who are privy to images and knowledge they’re sworn not to share fully (at least now) and are often written off as liars because of how frustrating that is for everyone else.
The simple answer is that some of them (or their close friends) might be legally liable if something is over-shared. Meanwhile alternative hypothesis flourish.

I’m just getting at…. I understand why Seth hesitates on certain punch lists, items, and those issues while considering updates
Sesame Street Idk GIF
I wonder if somehow we could connect it to theRPF? So only RPF members could contribute. Would trim it down a bit.... maybe. But your right it could be problematic. Like having all the contributors put their names to what they write could help. Maybe categorize things as either unconfirmed or confirmed. Have categories, like speculation, or personal theories. I don't know I'm just spitballing here. :)

I actually quite like how it is now. Too many cooks in the kitchen make a mess.

The point of the "bible" is a general summation of what we know---with caveats---and the last thing we need is a bunch of anonymous numb-skulls polluting concise and publicly verified information with up-to-the-minute "theories" and rumors that change with the wind.

No.

That would be a huge step back. Discussion should happen on the boards. Whatever makes it into the bible is what is deemed necessary and/or relevant that bubbles up from those discussions, and then verified and confirmed. If it's important, it will reach Seth; in the meantime, he is right in not bothering with anything else.

I actually quite like how it is now. Too many cooks in the kitchen make a mess.

The point of the "bible" is a general summation of what we know---with caveats---and the last thing we need is a bunch of anonymous numb-skulls polluting concise and publicly verified information with up-to-the-minute "theories" and rumors that change with the wind.

No.

That would be a huge step back. Discussion should happen on the boards. Whatever makes it into the bible is what is deemed necessary and/or relevant that bubbles up from those discussions, and then verified and confirmed. If it's important, it will reach Seth; in the meantime, he is right in not bothering with anything else.

A not-unreasonable take!

Maybe re-envision the entire thing from a PDF file to a small WordPress based website? Then each lightsaber gets the dedicated page and image gallery it deserves, and you don't have to worry about losing image quality, as you then have the full-sized photo right there on the webpage. I suggest this, because it's what I do for the Jurassic Park Encyclopedia (Jurassic-Pedia) that I, and others like SickleClaw, help run, and I've generally found it to be the simplest way to just dump a lot of visual information into one place that's both easily publicly assessable, and simple to edit and format. It might end up costing a little to maintain the webpage name, but you could also add a donation widget to the front page to help with costs associated with the website as well as obtaining information (vintage saber parts don't run cheap). Additionally, you could always expand this to other classic Star Wars prop info like Han's blasters, E-11s, helmets, etc.

As for concerning yourself with who wants what info out there, I'd say tell 'em to suck laser bolts. I've always despised gatekeeper fans who like to hoard knowledge to maintain some kind of feeling of superiority over the rest of the fandom. Information is meant to be shared, not hoarded for internet points. I'd say put everything you can that's not locked behind an NDA in there, and screw the whiners.

If we're to move beyond the PDF bible that Seth made to expand the info and get into the nitty-gritty, this would probably be the way to go. That would be the way to handle the more "scholarly" esoterica without blowing up the bible.

Honestly what I see is the expansion of a single document has become cumbersome as more “Star Wares” are being added (ok I’m coining that term)

It could be (if considering reformatting…) a division to clean up all the entries by splitting documents into separate prequel, OT, and sequel+.

I know that doesn’t solve the immediate issue but most of the contended data is coming in from the new movies and shows as you mentioned… but perhaps something to consider moving towards in the long run to make it more bite sized as new information gets uncovered

This has been my thinking for a while. I was a bit concerned when the document was expanded to include the PT, as it was originally meant for the OT hilts, but considering how some of them informed choices in the PT, I guess it was okay. This issue, like you say, was when the Disney stuff came along because now it's just content and that content is compiling quickly and in numbers.

I really think that splitting them all up, from OT, PT, and Disney, into separate entries would be the best way to go if folks want continuously updated info and expanding entries, but that has to move onto a different platform entirely. Something like what CT1138 suggested. At that point, it's all about vetting and who gets access to contribute and add to the entries.

The PDF document is the show model at the dealership, the nuts-and-bolts of it should be off-site at the plant.

The idea of a dedicated website is gaining momentum in my brain. It would be more dynamic and easier to update, I could do more pics on a single entry, the entry lengths won't have to be limited in size, if I end up needing help I could give the keys to some heavily screened trusted folks, and it wouldn't be that much a shift. I know some people have printed the PDF out, but it is still mean to be seen onscreen.

I think the biggest challenge would be a design and navigation scheme that makes sense. I'd need a nav system that never has you more than a click away from any entry, a decent gallery set up so images can still be seen without too much scrolling, and is all divided into sections for the OT, PT, ST, and D+ sabers, along with the informative bits like the page on clamp cards.

The idea of a dedicated website is gaining momentum in my brain. It would be more dynamic and easier to update, I could do more pics on a single entry, the entry lengths won't have to be limited in size, if I end up needing help I could give the keys to some heavily screened trusted folks, and it wouldn't be that much a shift. I know some people have printed the PDF out, but it is still mean to be seen onscreen.

I think the biggest challenge would be a design and navigation scheme that makes sense. I'd need a nav system that never has you more than a click away from any entry, a decent gallery set up so images can still be seen without too much scrolling, and is all divided into sections for the OT, PT, ST, and D+ sabers, along with the informative bits like the page on clamp cards.

Yeah, pages for specific subtopics like clamp cards and flashgun variants (rather than short appendices in the book) would be neat.

There are pdf to html5 converters. Or if creating an interactive pdf using InDesign, you could then output to HTML5 with a plugin. The HTML5 feature of scrolling between pages is fast and intuitive.

Don't forget that a text-heavy, immediately updatable, website already exists for research. You're on it. We have threads consolidating information too ("List the.. etc")

Don't forget that a text-heavy, immediately updatable, website already exists for research. You're on it. We have threads consolidating information too ("List the.. etc")
While technically true, I still had to read close to 300 pages of material to get up to speed on the ANH Graflex Hero after finishing the PDF.

And that’s just two years of info on one prop.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back