The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook

Just when you thought you were done they go and drop another Luke saber...

Awesome job on the book, I just reread it for like the 10th time and it is an absolute delight!

I read through (almost) all of this and have a question. When did people first "discover" what Luke's ANH saber really was? 80s, 90s ... the RPF?

First I heard of it being a flash handle was probably 1992 or so, and I upgraded my flashlight-saber to a Sol-King flash that I bought in an antique store. I remember buying a press camera in Germany that had a Graflex flash, in about 1998, and someone on an British photography message board mentioned the Graflex flash being used in Star Wars. It seemed like it was "common" obscure knowledge on the boards.

I don't think the Vader lightsaber was identified as an MPP until pretty recently, though I did see a Heiland Synchronar being sold as Vader's saber around the time the Prequels came out at a convention.

Thanks guys. I'm giving a presentation about props, I'm sharing the lightsaber story (which I'm super familiar with) but I always wondered how soon after the film that people started hunting for Graflexes.

Pretty sure I read recently here, it was actually a scan of the page out of the black and white magazine that mentions graflex by name

Around the time of the special editions, Steve Sansweet mentioned the Graflex in a Scouting the Galaxy colum in Star Wars Insider magazine, issue #33. I remember the issue because my letter to Steve was printed in the same issue.
It was also mentioned in the earlier Bantha Tracks fan club newsletter I believe.

Last edited:
The magazine I’m thinking of I think was about movies.. it wasn’t a Star Wars title magazine

Eerrrr I’m not going to fall asleep now

It had to been mentioned with in the last 4 months

I distinctly remember because that’s the oldest magazine I’ve ever seen mention “graflex flash handle”

Dang it.. I’m not going to bed now until I find this thing

I’m fairly certain the public knowledge of the hilt being a Greyflex goes back to the 80s. It might have been revealed in a magazine interview?

The magazine I’m thinking of I think was about movies.. it wasn’t a Star Wars title magazine

Eerrrr I’m not going to fall asleep now

It had to been mentioned with in the last 4 months

I distinctly remember because that’s the oldest magazine I’ve ever seen mention “graflex flash handle”

Dang it.. I’m not going to bed now until I find this thing
This thread? Antique Market Find!
Circa 1978
AB2E2BDE-FB79-47B4-91DF-C5C71AFB81CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks scarf man - much like Halliwax I was going crazy trying to remember where I had seen that. I thought I had downloaded the images, so I was searching through all of my files today with no luck - nope, I hadn't. But you can be sure that's the first thing I just did, plus I bookmarked that link! (y)

Thanks scarf man - much like Halliwax I was going crazy trying to remember where I had seen that. I thought I had downloaded the images, so I was searching through all of my files today with no luck - nope, I hadn't. But you can be sure that's the first thing I just did, plus I bookmarked that link! (y)
You’re welcome. The credit really should go to Halliwax for jogging my memory.

First I heard of it being a flash handle was probably 1992 or so, and I upgraded my flashlight-saber to a Sol-King flash that I bought in an antique store. I remember buying a press camera in Germany that had a Graflex flash, in about 1998, and someone on an British photography message board mentioned the Graflex flash being used in Star Wars. It seemed like it was "common" obscure knowledge on the boards.

I don't think the Vader lightsaber was identified as an MPP until pretty recently, though I did see a Heiland Synchronar being sold as Vader's saber around the time the Prequels came out at a convention.
Again— the tech manual. When I found my Graflex it was in a box with other flashes including the synchronize. It was the Energizer commercial that made me think the Heiland was Vader’s saber (funny since the bunny was NOT a Heiland or MPP), but the tech manual blue print of Vader’s saber was based on a Heiland— so I was amped thinking I had it.

Shane Johnson later said it was based off a fan repro he had assumed was accurate. Not sure who he got it from, but they were on to something.

Not sure when the MPP realization came about.

SethS, When I first started lurking, in 99’-00’, the Heiland vs. KingSol debate was still going on. The MPP must have been identified around 02’-03’ to the best of my recollection. I remember that by 03’-04’ gavidoc and GhostHost both had one, and Parksabers was using GhostHost’s MPP as a guide to tool up in China, for his replicas.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back