The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

Will be interesting to see what is the final bid for sure. It's hard to tell how many interested collectors are out there that are not familiar with this site and can't do the ~17k math (which is ~13k bid as I've mentioned earlier) if that's the consensus fair current price.
Somehow I feel that if the seller was after just 17k he could have sold it here already.

Somehow I feel that if the seller was after just 17k he could have sold it here already.

I agree but also disagree. I can't imagine selling mine, but my biggest fear would be selling it to someone who gets the saber in the mail, decides to be shifty and disputes the electronic payment (paypal, credit card, etc..), and they end up with my saber and all of their money.

Having the safety/security of an auction house selling my saber, even losing some of the sale to listing fees, might be worth the financial protection.

I agree but also disagree. I can't imagine selling mine, but my biggest fear would be selling it to someone who gets the saber in the mail, decides to be shifty and disputes the electronic payment (paypal, credit card, etc..), and they end up with my saber and all of their money.

Having the safety/security of an auction house selling my saber, even losing some of the sale to listing fees, might be worth the financial protection.
Completely agree. An auction, like this, is probably the only way I’d ever consider selling mine. & I can’t imagine selling mine. I couldn’t afford to build another one!

Valid point for sure. But it all depends on people's risk tolerance. I think with some common sense there's <1% chance to get scammed on a private sale and lose 100% of your saber's value, while there's 100% chance you will lose at least 1/5 of that value with the auction. To me it's like throwing let's say the booster in the trash.
Of course with a high profile auction like this one maybe it sells for much more than what you can ask in a private sale. And if your cost to acquire the saber was low to begin with - you still make a nice profit anyway.

So I wish good luck to the seller and I guess we'll all be keeping an eye on the auction :)

PS. If someone finds a booster in the trash - I'll be happy to buy it ( and I won't scam you I promise :) )

Posting in this thread - that's something I didn't think I'd be doing anytime soon but thanks to The Ninja here I am.
Few years ago he helped me find an Armitage shanks tap which I displayed next to my MR Kenobi.
Out the blue I received a parcel with a gift wrapped Hales from Ian - I have spent the last few days just admiring, pretty much wandering about the house smiling while holding it.
I'm now well and truly obsessed with my Mk1 build.
Luckily I have a graflex clamp so all I need now is the booster and balance pipe which I'm sure will be easy as I believe they are the most common place and cheapest parts :lol:
Joking apart I'll be delighted to complete my build with Romans excellent replica parts. My daughter has his weathered Mk1 and I can't wait to display them together.
Huge thanks Ian, well beyond generous, absolutely love it mate.

Attachments

• IMG_20210604_141445.jpg
    IMG_20210604_141445.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20210604_143545.jpg
    IMG_20210604_143545.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 194
Posting in this thread - that's something I didn't think I'd be doing anytime soon but thanks to The Ninja here I am.
Few years ago he helped me find an Armitage shanks tap which I displayed next to my MR Kenobi.
Out the blue I received a parcel with a gift wrapped Hales from Ian - I have spent the last few days just admiring, pretty much wandering about the house smiling while holding it.
I'm now well and truly obsessed with my Mk1 build.
Luckily I have a graflex clamp so all I need now is the booster and balance pipe which I'm sure will be easy as I believe they are the most common place and cheapest parts :lol:
Joking apart I'll be delighted to complete my build with Romans excellent replica parts. My daughter has his weathered Mk1 and I can't wait to display them together.
Huge thanks Ian, well beyond generous, absolutely love it mate.

Welcome buddy the parts are looking sweet, now to find the easy parts ;)

The poor guy has the disease now and of which there is no real cure. Lol

Depending on the severity there is a cure: ending up with a all vintage parts Obi. Clearly some here have a more serious version of the disease, though.

It’s personal preference plain and simple and you really don’t need to look beyond that reason.

My reasons are quite simple; it depends on the rarity of the piece and the history.

Indeed!

Finally caught up with the thread after a long hiatus from the group; and while this discussion happened a little while ago, it made me think...

Like JediSeth observed, there was a period around the ‘70’s when shiny was good, and shinier was better. A lot of really nice vintage silver got whizzed and dipped. Which did make it shinier... But also irreversibly modified the surfaces of the coin; some its character and history irretrievably lost to entropy. For that reason, today, an early silver coin with natural patina is somewhat rare - and considered far more desirable by the savvy collector.

So, if you want to accuraize your coins to appear like they did first coming off the presses at the mint, don’t expect them to hold their value near as well... ;-)

Same goes for any rare and significant artifact, I figure.

I were going for maximum screen accuracy, I would probably take advantage of the excellent selection of replica parts available and modify away to match whatever screen-shot I picked as a reference.

But for me, the magic is in building the thing using using the same vintage parts the original prop-makers could have, would have, arguably might have, actually used. I’ve decided, just now, as I type, that I will preserve the truly rare and significant parts in their original state, making (if any) only 100% reversible modifications. An obvious exception would be a part that has already been modified or otherwise abused by time - so that nothing I did could hurt the thing, anyway...

Build on!

Hey Folks, Hope you all are well, Absolutely chuffed to bits to say i have completed my build with the arrival of a special piece to the puzzle in the mail today, One greasy NOS Balance Pipe, I started the build 5 months ago with not a lot of confidence in ever finding everything, But i got lucky i guess and i couldn't be happier.

Also with the help of a handful of guys from here and the community it probably wouldn't have been possible, So i thank you all (You know who you are), And making a couple new friends in the process.

Now lets get this baby cleaned up and put in place on the hilt

Attachments

• BCEB93B8-71DF-413F-AB64-4FEB20A6C5F3.jpeg
    BCEB93B8-71DF-413F-AB64-4FEB20A6C5F3.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 144
  • ECA19D81-4B1A-4AC6-B05E-3A3743F9596A.jpeg
    ECA19D81-4B1A-4AC6-B05E-3A3743F9596A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
  • 630BE74A-BA6E-4602-AD80-ECD11A961ACC.jpeg
    630BE74A-BA6E-4602-AD80-ECD11A961ACC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
  • C1F917D2-0176-450D-A7E9-D66C374FAEFA.jpeg
    C1F917D2-0176-450D-A7E9-D66C374FAEFA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 149
Hey Folks, Hope you all are well, Absolutely chuffed to bits to say i have completed my build with the arrival of a special piece to the puzzle in the mail today, One greasy NOS Balance Pipe, I started the build 5 months ago with not a lot of confidence in ever finding everything, But i got lucky i guess and i couldn't be happier.

Also with the help of a handful of guys from here and the community it probably wouldn't have been possible, So i thank you all (You know who you are), And making a couple new friends in the process.

Now lets get this baby cleaned up and put in place on the hilt
Nice find didn't think I'd see a proper nos score again. Interesting yours is packaged more like the mk8. Perhaps it makes yours an older mk9 to the ones I had?
Mk8
20210621_072624.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back