The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

Personally, and this is just for me, stuff like the d ring and washers and screws I've never cared about. How are you gonna prove it's an exact certain d ring or screw? And, how are you gonna prove it's a "vintage" part? We also still don't have any confirmation about the transistor brand, although I do like the Solitron logo theory we worked on a while ago.

One example for me is the Exactra screws. Everyone seems to use them because they can be identified and proven to be vintage, but it's never made any sense to me. If the point of the screws in ESB was to hold the grips on that kept falling off, a screw designed to bite into plastic wouldn't make sense. A common sheet metal screw would be much more common, and do a much better job.

I agree 100%, I’ve never been on the “I need a vintage D ring” boat

Most vintage d rings and no offense to anyone here who has them. Doesn’t look right to me, it’s cool to say it’s vintage but if it doesn’t look the part, what are we here for again?

I can take roys accurate d ring, give it a chemical bath, and put it beside a vintage and they will match

The Obi washers are another thing.. cool to find a vintage washer that fits, but with no numbers or names on them... a good looking replica with a chemical age will suffice for me

You just go down the rabbit hole.. we need a vintage 3/8 rod to hold all this stuff together?

The Obi washers are another thing.. cool to find a vintage washer that fits, but with no numbers or names on them... a good looking replica with a chemical age will suffice for me

A good replica of what, though? We don't even know what the thing is in order to replicate it. Same goes for the op amps/transistors.

The only thing we can go by, is what sort of materials we know they had because it has already been ID'd. Then, you can start making good educated guesses about where to start looking for likely candidates for the part. As long as there's a suitable option along those lines, to me it's more fun to use something like that.

Once you start custom machining various parts, you're going down a whole different path. Which is fine, if that's your ultimate goal. It just seems to start talking about runs of custom parts is antithetical to what this particular thread is about.

But that's just my opinion and I could be wrong. I have been known to make mistakes...from time to time. Oh dear.

To each their own of course, follow your interests but I did think the point of this thread was real vintage parts and now some folks are bashing.

If it’s not your thing why go negative in this particular thread?

Didn’t mean to come off as bashing, sorry about that

Me either - didn't want to come off as bashing. I just don't think there's a good way to prove a washer or d ring is vintage unless you take a video of yourself pulling it off a certain component, like a camera case or something. But yeah, we should keep this thread on track as it's already at page 102 now :D

OK. let's get back on track :)

Been tinkering today, I 3d printed a spacer a couple of weeks ago for under the clamp. I've since put a couple of nuts in so I can screw the transistors into it securely.

IMG_20200802_170323.jpg

I also harvested a transistor and washer from another Obi saber I have:

IMG_20200802_175756.jpg

IMG_20200802_175739.jpg

And here's the parts and the sum or the parts (with replica bubbe strip)!

IMG_20200802_175858.jpg

IMG_20200802_180322.jpg

Is the transistor washer a real thing? Like to transistors use washers? And if so what is the purpose of the washer?

There are different types of heat sinks out there that go on some transistors, but to date I have yet to find anything that would match.

OK. let's get back on track :)

Been tinkering today, I 3d printed a spacer a couple of weeks ago for under the clamp. I've since put a couple of nuts in so I can screw the transistors into it securely.

View attachment 1332247

I also harvested a transistor and washer from another Obi saber I have:

View attachment 1332248

View attachment 1332249

And here's the parts and the sum or the parts (with replica bubbe strip)!

View attachment 1332250

View attachment 1332251
I've just realised I've put the transistors on the wrong side. Rookie mistake. I must engage brain next time!

I've just realised I've put the transistors on the wrong side. Rookie mistake. I must engage brain next time!

I'd say can't you just open up the clamp section and turn it 180º after you removed the transistor/washer temporarely? Also if you intend to use your pommel-cubes in that configuration then you'll need to add a washer on each transistor, since your OB1 lightsaber will indeed represent the Tunesian version.

Chaïm

I'd say can't you just open up the clamp section and turn it 180º after you removed the transistor/washer temporarely? Also if you intend to use your pommel-cubes in that configuration then you'll need to add a washer on each transistor, since your OB1 lightsaber will indeed represent the Tunesian version.

Chaïm
Yep, I'll do a quick 180 and we can all forget about my error [emoji2960]

Gonna double washer it since the grenade is more in keeping with the Tunisia look rather than the hero. Plus not many people seem to do Tunisia sabers, so it will be something slightly different from the norm.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back