The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

I agree about the washers. I think the modern ones are just designed to be held on better. I'm wondering if drilling out the bottom of the washer would let the standard case size sit low enough to make up the height difference............

If they weren't recessed it would help explain how one fell off, for sure. I think the reproduction ones are recessed so the transistor is able to nicely hold that on, but we don't know how the originals were constructed.

Anyone interested is some boosters? I might be able to get my hands on one maybe more.
PM me if interested.
I'm smelling Spitfire Spares UK all over again.... :unsure:

Yeah we know about these. They're bad repros being passed off by Spitfire Spares as real deal boosters. They're 'throwing in' a real booster nut to the first purchase to further obscure things, but they are repros none the less... did I mention that they're piss-poor ones at that? Those fins are simply awful!

Splitfire (graham) claims they are real. Bought them from a guy called Ade harris(turret).
He wants people from here to contact him and discuss the matter. So guys... heres the oppertunity to seperate fraud from collector...
Please some contact him. gadlam@btinternet.com

Splitfire (graham) claims they are real. Bought them from a guy called Ade harris(turret).
He wants people from here to contact him and discuss the matter. So guys... heres the oppertunity to seperate fraud from collector...
Please some contact him. gadlam@btinternet.com
my emails with him are proof hes not a rational guy to deal with. He would not show any proof of authenticity. He absolutely refused! He claimed he has it but won't share it. His so called source of this proof is a mystery and won't relpy. He lost a pp dispute with me. So i say if you want to pursue this thats on you. We know theses 3 boosters are not what we are all looking for. They dont match the specs. If they are a legitimate variant. Its not the variant we are seeking. Which should end this conversation right now. You should be focusing on the 12 boosters that are for sale right now and figuring a way of smooth talking your way into them.

I have spoken

my emails with him are proof hes not a rational guy to deal with. He would not show any proof of authenticity. He absolutely refused! He claimed he has it but won't share it. His so called source of this proof is a mystery and won't relpy. He lost a pp dispute with me. So i say if you want to pursue this thats on you. We know theses 3 boosters are not what we are all looking for. They dont match the specs. If they are a legitimate variant. Its not the variant we are seeking. Which should end this conversation right now. You should be focusing on the 12 boosters that are for sale right now and figuring a way of smooth talking your way into them.

I have spoken

giphy.gif

I have spoken
Awesome tnx... end of story... screw this guy. the search continues...

View attachment 904839

Please . . . for those of you with completed real vintage parts OB1 ANH lightsabers or perhaps still in the process of collecting vintage parts . . . do feel free to add your precious lightsaber and/or your work in progress pictures :)

Chaïm
My Name is Graham Adlam and I own and run spitfirespares it has come to my attention that I am being accused of selling reproduction parts as real namely .303 boosters. This is damaging both to my reputation and business. I note that not a single person making these accusations has had the decency to contact me and discuss this. I do sell repro parts along with originals and all repros are clearly marked as such. I have contacted the person who supplied me with these boosters who is well know both to me and the aviation restoration community. I will be updating my website with a full and clear investigation of this matter as soon as He replies to me. This person is an expert on the .303 and he has stated that they are original.

I have spoken
I did not loose a paypal dispute with you I refunded you as I do with all my customers who are not happy. I have your abusive emails on file and also details of the Paypal transaction. I will be putting up a page on my website shortly with a full report and investigation into this matter. I at all times treat my customers with respect and honesty and always refund anyone who is not happy. It is quite wrong to slander someone in public who you do not know, it is damaging both to my business and my reputation. I do sell repro boosters and they are clearly listed as such. I know from personal experience that its quite impossible to make boosters to original specs it requires special tooling and is simply not viable. I was supplied with the original boosters i have by Ade Harris. You can find his work by googling Ade Harris Turret. He is an expert on the .303 and supplied mine as originals. I have allot of experience with vintage parts having been in business for fifteen years in a very small community. Not one person who has slandered me has had the decency to contact me on this issue. I have to find out from a potential customer what is being said on a public forum

This email was sent this morning.
Sent: 24 March 2020 09:57
To: ade harris <adearris@hotmail.com>
Subject:Re: Browning bits

Hello Ade

I am afraid a situation has developed regarding the boosters you swapped for my Barnes Wallis seat seat. Firstly I sold all three to an American who returned them after being told they were repos. I refunded him in full as is my policy but was assured by you they were authentic and continued to list them for sale.

I am now being slandered on a forum who are saying they are repros.

This is extremely damaging both to my business and myself and unfortunately this now also affects you.

I intend to publish a full page on my website naming you as the supplier of these parts. Before i do so I want to give you the opportunity to as the supplier to help me rectify this situation To me they certainly look authentic and i know from personal experience its not financially viable to reproduce these boosters to original specification. . However there seem to be people who disagree sighting for one that they are not marked.

I as you know have been completely straight and honest with you, giving you a full refund on the browning you purchased from me even though i was under no legal obligation to do so.including the gun serial numbers

I want to end this amicably I need you to step up and give me the full information about exactly where theses boosters have come from and why they are original. If you are aware they are repros now is the time to say so.

This is not going to go away until i get a resolution, at this stage i am not accusing anyone of anything but my reputation is at stake and has to be resolved.

I appreciated your reply asap.

Regards

Graham

And im talking to everyone on this thread
My Name is Graham Adlam and I own and run spitfirespares it has come to my attention that I am being accused of selling reproduction parts as real namely .303 boosters. This is damaging both to my reputation and business. I note that not a single person making these accusations has had the decency to contact me and discuss this. I do sell repro parts along with originals and all repros are clearly marked as such. I have contacted the person who supplied me with these boosters who is well know both to me and the aviation restoration community. I will be updating my website with a full and clear investigation of this matter as soon as He replies to me. This person is an expert on the .303 and he has stated that they are original.

I did not loose a paypal dispute with you I refunded you as I do with all my customers who are not happy. I have your abusive emails on file and also details of the Paypal transaction. I will be putting up a page on my website shortly with a full report and investigation into this matter. I at all times treat my customers with respect and honesty and always refund anyone who is not happy. It is quite wrong to slander someone in public who you do not know, it is damaging both to my business and my reputation. I do sell repro boosters and they are clearly listed as such. I know from personal experience that its quite impossible to make boosters to original specs it requires special tooling and is simply not viable. I was supplied with the original boosters i have by Ade Harris. You can find his work by googling Ade Harris Turret. He is an expert on the .303 and supplied mine as originals. I have allot of experience with vintage parts having been in business for fifteen years in a very small community. Not one person who has slandered me has had the decency to contact me on this issue. I have to find out from a potential customer what is being said on a public forum

This email was sent this morning.
Sent: 24 March 2020 09:57
To: ade harris <adearris@hotmail.com>
Subject:Re: Browning bits

Hello Ade

I am afraid a situation has developed regarding the boosters you swapped for my Barnes Wallis seat seat. Firstly I sold all three to an American who returned them after being told they were repos. I refunded him in full as is my policy but was assured by you they were authentic and continued to list them for sale.

I am now being slandered on a forum who are saying they are repros.

This is extremely damaging both to my business and myself and unfortunately this now also affects you.

I intend to publish a full page on my website naming you as the supplier of these parts. Before i do so I want to give you the opportunity to as the supplier to help me rectify this situation To me they certainly look authentic and i know from personal experience its not financially viable to reproduce these boosters to original specification. . However there seem to be people who disagree sighting for one that they are not marked.

I as you know have been completely straight and honest with you, giving you a full refund on the browning you purchased from me even though i was under no legal obligation to do so.including the gun serial numbers

I want to end this amicably I need you to step up and give me the full information about exactly where theses boosters have come from and why they are original. If you are aware they are repros now is the time to say so.

This is not going to go away until i get a resolution, at this stage i am not accusing anyone of anything but my reputation is at stake and has to be resolved.

I appreciated your reply asap.

Regards

Graham
Graham that is simply not true and you know it. You did loose the pp claim because you couldn't prove the boosters were real. You did not refund my money. I dealt with pp the whole time and they granted me the claim. And as far as abusive emails. You are the one that threatened me. I may have poked you a couple times cuz you are a miserable guy to deal with but definitely not abusive. I will throw you on blast in front of everybody and share our full email communication if thats what you would like. You will not come out looking good or professional! Its your call. i can give a crap about your so called reputation. You have already ruined it with me and several others.

Now. If you can prove these are real we all would like to see this evidence. There are people on here that are more of an expert on .303 boosters than you apparently and would love to have this knowledge. It would help us all identify real from repo. And different unseen to us variants. I practically begged you to prove those three boosters were real and I was willing to keep one if you could and you would not. Now come with the proof Graham. I have no problem being proven wrong for the good of the community.

Hi Graham,

It's not our intention to harm your reputation nor your business and if you say that you truly believe that what you have are authentic, then I can only accept you at face value on this belief. However, I'm sure that you can appreciate that we as a community also have an obligation to protect our less knowledgeable membership from being misled, intentionally or not, and from making potentially costly mistakes in fulfilling their prop builds when it's avoidable with the collective knowledge base of this forum.

The reason why we doubt the authenticity of your Browning Mk II boosters is for a number of reasons:
  1. The geometry of the fins is incorrect; the valley grooves on all of the boosters that we've seen are more U shaped rather than the sharp V shape on your boosters. Moreover, the fin edges are narrower and more sharp than the three boosters in your possession

2. None of your boosters appear to have the requisite chrome plating on the interior cone and on the flat surface just beneath the threading

3. None of your boosters appear to have any type of factory stamping on any of the fins, BSA, Inglis, etc.

4. None of your boosters appear to have weld remnants on any of the fins. Barring NOS stock, as all of the boosters that were used in service were welded onto the barrel jackets of the .303 Brownings, all of the boosters that have been come across either still have remnants of this weld or have small chunks missing from the fin itself where the weld used to be.

5. At least in the pictures available, your boosters also appear to be lacking the ventilation pinholes between the fins
It may well be that the boosters that are in your possession are of a variant that none of us have ever come across. But regardless, they are not suitable for the purpose of the prop that is being attempted to be built.

I wish you and your business well in all of your endeavors, especially in these crazy times.

Got real quiet in here...

Back to the washers...........every transistor has that tiny little tab on the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.54.30 PM.png

So if you're going to insert that *inside* a washer of the exact correct diameter, as a prop builder for the movie, do you take the time to grind off two of those? I would say the washer fits around the piece, and ends up resting on that. Tiny dab of super glue and it's there to stay...........but not enough that one couldn't have been smacked and come loose like what we've seen in the real photos.

The recessed washers that we see on replicas are for the ease of manufacturing - make the washer, make a replica piece of metal the same size of the transistor that is threaded (without the little tab piece of course) and then your assembly is cleanly and solidly attached.

Of course, I'm always open to other interpretations too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back