The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

I worry someone bought it and will be flipping parts for almost as much as the engine. Especially because they're not correct, it gives me the vibe that they are out for one thing only..

I just got an email from an australian museum and they confirmed the engine is a Derwent MK8 engine. (I emailed them the photos)

So there are different type of Derwent 8’s with different flame chambers and balance pipes?

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the correct BP’s were an upgrade/fix for the original engines later in the war and so may not have made it into every engine by the war’s end.

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the correct BP’s were an upgrade/fix for the original engines later in the war and so may not have made it into every engine by the war’s end.
Hm..so my question is how can it be seen from outside, if indside the upgrade was made or not?

Last edited:
If I’m not mistaken (learned from a previous engine find I made and ultimately passed on) the only way to tell from the outside is to caliper measure the OD of the balance pice itself. It should be accessible from the outside of the tubes and the upgrade is a larger diameter than the original version. The original had fewer porting holes around the main opening hole and therefore is smaller. I have photographic comparison but not my original photos so won’t post here, but it’s a pretty noticeable variance.

Found some of these dudes. Or dudettes, I don't know. Need to get some machine screws in there and then they'll be ready to mount. 1975 date codes.

sol1.JPG

sol2.JPG

Great! I’m in a hurry to see those attached in the Graflex clamp. Please post photos of the machine screw installation if you have time.

I haven't decided if I want to get fancy and try the wood block clamp system and actually bore the insides out, or just smooth the bottoms a bit and epoxy the screw on. I do have plenty of non-sacred TO39s to play with to practice though, so that's likely where I'll start.

I think these are definitely the taller variety. Could you post the official height we're shooting for?

You’re looking for Op Amp cans and unfortunately I haven’t been able to find Solitrons in anything other than the tall TO-5 cans.

What David said, these are the Op Amps I have on my Obi, Troy Seneca did the mod on his Mill for me.

3.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back