The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

Yeah, I am waiting until I find a suitable d-ring.

Awesome! Yeah I'm using roman's as well.... teecrooz I'll be looking forward to hearing more news on the vintage washers as it happens. Bradberry00 I notice like me you've not drilled your handwheel for the d-ring.. I haven't the skills. Is anyone out there able to volunteer a handwheel--drilld-ring-placement service?

Just a quick question to all proud owners here, since the sink knob is in most parts 'plastic' painted metallic, when you hold the lightsaber in your hands does it feel 'cheap' or 'light' due to the weight/touch/warmness as opposed to holding a solid metal piece which is colder and heavier?

Just a quick question to all proud owners here, since the sink knob is in most parts 'plastic' painted metallic, when you hold the lightsaber in your hands does it feel 'cheap' or 'light' due to the weight/touch/warmness as opposed to holding a solid metal piece which is colder and heavier?

This is only my opinion, but the pommel does not feel cheap when holding the saber as even though it is plastic, it is not flimsy or anything. It is hard plastic, like a windshield ice-scraper hard. Plus when it is all attached as a lightsaber, the weight of the other parts, including having about 1/3 of a booster inside the pommel, along with the not m-super-light metal (heavy brass I think) internal part of the handwheel, it still feels hefty. In fact, aside from the MPP, both the Graflex and the completed OB1 feel what some might say is actually a bit too heavy and/or klunky for a saber handle.

This is only my opinion, but the pommel does not feel cheap when holding the saber as even though it is plastic, it is not flimsy or anything. It is hard plastic, like a windshield ice-scraper hard. Plus when it is all attached as a lightsaber, the weight of the other parts, including having about 1/3 of a booster inside the pommel, along with the not m-super-light metal (heavy brass I think) internal part of the handwheel, it still feels hefty. In fact, aside from the MPP, both the Graflex and the completed OB1 feel what some might say is actually a bit too heavy and/or klunky for a saber handle.

Thank you for sharing your impressions :) I am glad to leart it does not feel like a 'toy' but still a weapon.. Still, I wish Armitage Shanks had manufactured the whole thing from metal though..

The internal brass of the handwheel gives it good heft. Along with the booster, it (as Mugatu said) makes its overall weight very substantial. Anyone I’ve handed mine to has been surprised at how much the saber weighs.

I think you guys are forgetting that with the exception of the hand wheel ring, it’s *all* steel and brass.

I think someone asked earlier in the thread or another thread asked how much a real parts weighed and it came back at 2 lbs!

I've actually broken a handwheel due to a bent D ring pressing against the inside of the hole - ever since then I'm paranoid about ever hanging it from the D ring and can't believe they did that on set. That being said, once it's all built together, it just feels like one unit, and it' awesome

I've actually broken a handwheel due to a bent D ring pressing against the inside of the hole - ever since then I'm paranoid about ever hanging it from the D ring and can't believe they did that on set. That being said, once it's all built together, it just feels like one unit, and it' awesome

Once I put the D-ring on my handwheel, I knew I'd never hang it on a belt. It fit, but it's not as loose as the D-rings on the GRAFLEX & MPPs. IF I were to ever hang it on a belt clip, I'll be swapping Romans handwheel for it. The thought of cracking, or breaking, a cube is enough to put sweat on my brow.
As far as to how it all feels together? thd9791 is correct. It feels like it's all one piece. You won't hold it & think "gee, it's kinda light over on this end".

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I considered a few days ago I will try to put together my own Anakin and Obi-Wan lightsaber as vintage as I can. I found this place while I was looking for parts. Since I’m from Hungary I find it quite impossible to fulfill this dream of mine, but I will try not to give up.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I considered a few days ago I will try to put together my own Anakin and Obi-Wan lighstaber as vintage as I can. I found this place while I was looking for parts. Since I’m from Hungary I find it quite impossible to fulfill this dream of mine but I will try not to give up.

Good luck on the hunt! It's difficult to get all the Obi parts no matter where you're from.

Good luck on the hunt! It's difficult to get all the Obi parts no matter where you're from.

I’m sure it is! But my lack of proper English knowledge and my location doesn’t seem to help at all :) Now I know whats the difference between sink and basin! :D (I was hunting for AS taps the whole night)

Welcome to the club! If you stick around here this little digital family takes care of one another

You see parts go up for sale here from time to time

But you’ve found the right place to hang out to accomplish your dream

This is mine, which if I'm not mistaken was among the first wave of real vintage parts sabers - I acquired it in 2009 from RPF member "Killdozer." He was the gentleman who figured out that the "gear" piece was the Browning ANM2 machine gun recoil booster. When I received it from him it was 99% complete - all I had to do was install the D-ring and the transistors.

View attachment 719588 View attachment 719589

In the years since, I've picked up a machined cone piece for mounting the balance pipe, a faucet knob that's in much better shape (the original has significant chrome peeling), and most recently a pair of shorter transistors. One of these days I'll get around to the upgrades.

View attachment 719590

And here are a few pics of the individual parts...

Balance pipe:

View attachment 719591 View attachment 719592

Grenade:

View attachment 719593 View attachment 719594

Booster:

View attachment 719595 View attachment 719596
Very nice build. I'm just looking for a booster as well to finish my obi wan build.

Attachments

• 20190319_123800.jpg
    20190319_123800.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 20190319_124428.jpg
    20190319_124428.jpg
    774.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 20190319_123335.jpg
    20190319_123335.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 214
  • 20190319_123825.jpg
    20190319_123825.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 211
Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back