The Smugglers Room - Star Wars Themed Prop & Rec Room

Thanks guys! I was somewhat nervous to show this. Sort of afraid I'd be ran out of town on a rail!

Maybe for not posting enough pics! ;) Looks awesome! The design you created for the bottom left - very unique. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you're going to do.

I love this. I wanted to add more greeblies to mine and this might just give me a reason to do it.. I love your side panels and the pedestal base is fantastic. Your panels look functional as well as interesting. It gives the viewer something more to look at and discover.

Great work!

My view with props/historical costuming/reproduction furniture/etc is that there are 2 levels of 'accuracy', screen accurate and feel accurate. The hours of work, frustration and endless research needed for screen accuracy can only really be appreciated by those just as passionate as yourself. Still when viewed without the context of the original setting all your hard work, no matter how prefect, can lack the feel of the original.

Feel accuracy evokes the fundamental essence of a piece, putting everything you love about the original on display in the real world, even if your memories are more vivid then reality of a limited movie budget. It touches and expands on all the things that made you fall in love with a piece while not cluttering it with tons of extra work on things you have no attachment to. If at the end of the day a piece makes you happy, no matter how inaccurate it is, it's a 100% correct to you.

Far more details to look at and added color.

Having only one panel lit up "hero panel" made no sense to me.

Right? I guess with the limited screen time that the panels had they didn't really see the need to light them all up and such, but for my basement I really thought I wanted more to look at.

I love this. I wanted to add more greeblies to mine and this might just give me a reason to do it.. I love your side panels and the pedestal base is fantastic. Your panels look functional as well as interesting. It gives the viewer something more to look at and discover.

Great work!

Thanks so much. I started out thinking I would just do a little, and got pretty carried away. I couldn't stop, lol. The base is coming along, I am pretty stoked to get more work done on it. The budget Boba Fett isn't too bad so that should add a little something to it. Thanks again for the comment!

My view with props/historical costuming/reproduction furniture/etc is that there are 2 levels of 'accuracy', screen accurate and feel accurate. The hours of work, frustration and endless research needed for screen accuracy can only really be appreciated by those just as passionate as yourself. Still when viewed without the context of the original setting all your hard work, no matter how prefect, can lack the feel of the original.

Feel accuracy evokes the fundamental essence of a piece, putting everything you love about the original on display in the real world, even if your memories are more vivid then reality of a limited movie budget. It touches and expands on all the things that made you fall in love with a piece while not cluttering it with tons of extra work on things you have no attachment to. If at the end of the day a piece makes you happy, no matter how inaccurate it is, it's a 100% correct to you.

Perfectly put, much appreciated!!! I think this will be my new approach.

Maybe for not posting enough pics! ;) Looks awesome! The design you created for the bottom left - very unique. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you're going to do.

I should have known you would ask for more pics . . . so here you go brother!

Just so you all can see the inspiration i am using for this. I like the layers, look, and feel.

17316620911_37d4e1bbc3_c.jpg

17334581106_79c571946d_b.jpg

This casting was really crappy. My buddy offered to re-pour it, but for now I will live with it. As I have said before, I really wish I had just spent the money and bought more from DarthChromer. Oh well, lessoned learned. Maybe someday I will replace them.

17358626322_5442358c36_b.jpg

17360544825_b9b1b2e8d5_b.jpg

17360192721_9bee82065c_b.jpg

More coming . . . you can count on it.

Hey all, made some progress today. I was even distracted a little by an upcoming project, but I stayed as focused as possible.:D

Carbon Chamber Control Box. I have to say, I am pretty excited about this piece.

17750424892_d0fa404635_b.jpg

17130575654_ded8a755df_b.jpg

17565537340_fc85f630c2_b.jpg

I also put on the rest of the HIC Greeblies. Now I still have to finish the Hero panel, and the one below that, but that will have to wait until I assemble a few more nickels to buy the kit.

17753053275_5cb22bb335_b.jpg

While I was waiting for paint to dry i got a little distracted . . . shh . . . don't tell my wife:)

17726712196_00627354e5_b.jpg

17726714586_8ba1b05d8d_b.jpg

But I quickly did get back on task. Today was mostly about the initial paint job and the start of the weathering and details.

17753428651_f877ce5704_b.jpg

17753431061_fd49d8e689_b.jpg

17753051725_3cc2227d92_b.jpg

17565274058_2b2e61a9d5_b.jpg

17566792449_bf06305660_b.jpg

17753426691_80926441a1_b.jpg

17566790959_ac59963902_b.jpg

Ok, really sorry for the rough photos. The corner is really dark and I haven't finished the back wall or the lighting yet, but I got the HIC moved downstairs last night and set it in place. The fact that the back wall isn't done makes it seem a little out of place, but that will be fixed soon. I also don't have the plexi glass installed at the bottom either, but that is coming soon. I promise I will get better photos of it with some better lighting, it really looks pretty bad in these, much cooler in person.

17198042823_e1c1f1b804_b.jpg

17815630372_6d529db619_b.jpg

17818397995_d8e0b5675d_b.jpg

17632167919_440250e5e3_b.jpg

17630592688_45005d69a0_b.jpg

I normally don't get into personalized props/displays.

You just nailed this.

I'm blown away.

That is Soo Star Wars it's ridiculous.

I love the whole room, but that HIC display is just perfect man. Bravo.

Re: The Smugglers Room - Star Wars Themed Prop & Rec Room

I just cried a little... Love all the little greeblies. Springs to life!

You weren't crying brother, that was just a little bit of your awesomeness leaking out;)

I need to make us a greeblies t-shirt design.since the two of us are so obsessed. Most of these from this build came off an old 3 gun projector. I'll send you some pictures of the lenses, they are awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have enough top drawer adverbs for this.

Love that! Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I normally don't get into personalized props/displays.

You just nailed this.

I'm blown away.

That is Soo Star Wars it's ridiculous.

I love the whole room, but that HIC display is just perfect man. Bravo.

Thanks so much for that, it's those type of comments and encouragement that keep builds like this going. Much appreciated!

I. Love. This.

Well done, sir. Well done. You have set a new high bar for the display of Han Solo in Carbonite. Fantastic work.

This is almost more Star Wars than Star Wars is! Holy crap the GREEBLIES!!!! The Weathering!!! GAAAAHHH I Can't take it!!!!

so awesome.....so.....very.....very.....awesome.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back