The Smugglers Room - Star Wars Themed Prop & Rec Room

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Fuzzual, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Fuzzual

Fuzzual Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Alright everyone, the funds have been allocated, the plan has been drafted, and unbelievably the wife has given her full consent. :eek

Some of you may have seen a few of my projects:

Imperial Foosball Table
    Imperial FoosBall Table

Death Star Poker Table
    **death star poker table**

And if you have seen these, you probably thought I fell off the radar, and gave up. The truth is, I got these projects going, and then realized the home they were sitting in (my Basement) was not ultimately what I wanted.

My wife is an Interior Designer, so it took me three years of begging, pleading, and more begging to get permission to do what ever I wanted to our basement. She caved, well that is to say, agreed, and believe me, the price I will have to pay is HIGH:behave BUT ITS WORTH IT!!!!

So, long story short, I am transforming our basement into the ultimate GEEKDOM! My poker table will sit proudly in the center, and my foosball table will no doubt accent the absurd decor of my very own starship.

I have mapped out the room pretty well, and have put several years of planning into it, but I would love any suggestions you may have along the way. This site has been very helpful to me, and I have made some great friends along the way. You always make me see something in my projects that I did not see myself, so post away!:cool

I have concept graphics posted below, and for the most part I am attempting to follow as close as possible, but I am sure adjustments will be made as work is done. I did find the graphics online, and adapted them to fit my own design, if the original artists sees them here, please know I am not selling or reprinting anything, they are simply a reference for the project.

I am posting all my projects on this thread going forward, as they all have something to do with the basement as a whole.

I hope you guys will enjoy the build!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. mydigitalvoid

mydigitalvoid Active Member

Re: The Smugglers Room - Full Scale Entertainment Room

Seeing the detail you put into your projects this will be nothing short of amazing. Can't wait to see the updates!

3. Fuzzual

Re: The Smugglers Room - It Really Ties the Room Together!

The Design:

Overall view of the Poker Area. (This side of the basement will be built out first)

[​IMG]

North Wall: (There will be access to my Furnace behind the panel nearest the column)

[​IMG]

South Wall:

[​IMG]

Blueprint Wall: You can't see this section from the "overall view" (1st image) this short wall is just around the corner.

[​IMG]

Rack wall: This wall is also not seen in the overall view, this doorway leads into our laundry room, and also shares the wall that contains my Audio Video Rack. (They add a nice touch to the overall feel of a space ship)

[​IMG]

Window Well: I also have a very unsightly window well in my basement, so I thought it would be cool to dress it up a little. It will still be fully accessable in case of evacuation, but it will just look better:cool

[​IMG]

Poker Lighting: This is the design of the low hanging lights above my poker table. I have shown the design of the room to the 10 or 12 people that play poker weekly at my house, and asked how they minded playing poker in a space ship . . . surprisingly no one had a problem. They said as long as the beer was cold, the food was good, and football still showed up on 92" screen, they didn't care if they were surrounded by random plumbing parts glued to the walls.

[​IMG]

and the Ceiling treatment: I purchased an RGB LED 20' strip last week for $30 on ebay. it even comes with an IR Remote Control, so I will be able to add it to my Crestron Control System, so that from the poker table, I will be able to adjust the color scheme on the ceiling!! pretty cool huh?:love

No Lighting:

[​IMG]

Red Lighting:

[​IMG]

Blue Lighting:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. Fuzzual

I started the official build of the North wall this weekend. I only had Saturday to work on it, but I was able to get the first panel about 75% It needs a fair amount of work; sanding sealer, small bondo treatment, and of course paint. Then lighting treatment, blah, blah, blah.

I have decided to build all the panels, and the various base level "Greeblies" before sealing and painting. Then I can get a good feel for the space, and make adjustments were needed before the final touches are put in place.

All that being said, it was a good start!

[​IMG]

North Wall before treatment:

[​IMG]

First panel up, rough fit.

[​IMG]

First Greeblie assemble (recognize the silver box???)

[​IMG]

And Greeblies up

[​IMG]

5. Fuzzual

Thanks man, I really appreciate that!

6. chuckyAPP

chuckyAPP Sr Member

Wow, love builds like this, can't wait to see more

7. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Well-Known Member

Wow.

I'm thinking bigger, better words, but I can only say 'wow' at the moment.

8. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is going to be ..........
    [​IMG]

9. G17RDY

G17RDY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is going to be Epic....

Some people could only dream of what you are about to do, the very best of luck, watching with high interest!

10. Fuzzual

Small update from last night:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

wow! nice work :D

Can't wait to see the finished room.......................

12. zeafour

zeafour New Member

OMG Star Wars Nerd Heaven.... can i come play The Old Republic in your starship when it comes out Pleaaassseee Lol

13. Amish Trooper

Amish Trooper Sr Member

Love your other work so definitely subscribing to this thread. If you don't mind.
    1. When do you expect to finish this ?
    2. Are you building this all yourself ?
    3. Are you displaying any props ?
    4. Will there be a TV or Projection setup?

I think it would be awesome to come up with a holochess set up in there as well.

14. Fuzzual

Thank you guys for the kind words! Yes Zeafour, you are welcome to geek out in the basement on Old Republic!

15. Bootlegger137

Bootlegger137 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man...I wish I had the time, energy, money, and talent to do something like this!

Subscribed!

16. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

When this is finished it will be epic!

17. Fuzzual

Thanks Amish! as far as answers go:

1. I expect to finish the "rough" build, prior to paint, (I am going to build all the panels and test fit everything) by the last week in January. (that is if there is no unusual travel for work) The next step will be to wire up all the automation, and lighting. I want to test fit all of that before paint as well. Then I am hoping to have it all painted by the end of February. From that point it is a matter of finishing off all the detail, which I am hoping I can complete by the end of February to the first week of March. This is a pretty tough timeline, but if I can get a little done each day, it should be possible.

2. Yes, I am doing all the work myself. :cry (I may have a friend of mine that is an electrician help with a few odds and ends, but for the most part it is all me.)

3. I will have props. The back wall is actually a display case for my collection. There is not a very good rendering of it, but I will try and get some photos taken of the work in progress. It will have an upper cabinet, and a lower one as well.

4. I am planning on several TV's actually. I am hoping to incorporate 4 small LED displays above the light fixture, so that while playing poker, I can run football games, and other sources above. As far as projection goes, that is on the other side of the room, there is a 92" projection screen on that side. That end of the room will start construction following the poker area.

Thanks for the interest!

18. Fuzzual

This is the CAD drawing of the upper Cabinet display, I will try and get a couple of photo's loaded of the actual unit. It is not complete, but I started the cabinet late in the summer.

[​IMG]

19. Fuzzual

I should also mention, one of the beauty replica's that will be sitting in this space is being designed for my by SteveStarKiller, you may have seen his Falcon Renderings, if not, you NEED to:eek

http://www.therpf.com/f11/screen-accurate-millennium-falcon-cockpit-cg-model-102451/

The beauty I speak of is this: (I believe SteveStarKiller and I will do a separate thread for that piece, as it deserves a little more attention than just thrown in here. But I thought you guys might like a teaser:cool

[​IMG]

This console will be sitting just to the right of my Display cabinet, and left of my Audio Video racks. It should look great!

20. Fuzzual

Time is only granted by a loving wife, Energy is provided by my friends at 5 hour energy (take 2 of those at once, plus a snicker bar, and you can go for 8 hours straight), and money . . . well MDF is pretty cheap, and I have spent the last 2 years saving every plastic bottle, scrap wood, and left over yet interesting piece of trash from being thrown out.

I told my wife, the best way to go green, was for her to let me glue trash to the wall:lol

21. Nightfall

Nightfall Active Member

Man it's awesome to see this thread. I was actually given the heads up about your project from my roommate Mike who appearently knows you. He should know better than to show me your projects as just gives me ideas for my house.

22. Fuzzual

Sweet, i like infecting others, my wife often tells me I am like a virus!

Who's your roomate?

23. Nightfall

Nightfall Active Member

Doesn't take much, besides I need somewhere to display my armor and helmets.

Mike Wilson.

24. Bootlegger137

Bootlegger137 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mike. Geez...weren't you paying attention? :lol

I notice you didn't address "talent" in your reply to my post. That's the one thing that you can't get anywhere else...and you appear to have it in spades. :thumbsup

darth_myeek likes this.
  25. Fuzzual

Ah yeah, he's your roomate huh? Sorry to hear it man.

26. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

Rooms like this are definitely my favorite!

And this looks better than I ever imagined one.

Wow!

27. Fuzzual

:lol I saw Mike, just didn't know the last name, I know a few of them. As for talent, well, I can't add 2 + 2 without getting 12, but as for gluing plastic and plumbing parts I have been blessed.:lol

thanks though!

28. Nightfall

Nightfall Active Member

LOL. It's not too bad. Whenever he breaks something I get new greebles.

29. Knightjar

Knightjar Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, this is a great project. Try not to use up everything in your parts box on the first panel!

30. Fuzzual

lol, well my friend, I think i am safe . . . I have 8 large rubber maid tubs full.
    :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused:

is that weird????

31. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If Philip is impressed than that is the biggest compliment you can get.

32. Fuzzual

I could not agree more! Philip, I am humbled.

33. Fuzzual

Thank you all for the nice comments, and the interest, thats why I love this place. But I could use a little design help???

I have been trying to figure out how to make the object in the image below, work as a doorknob, so that I don't have to use a standard doorknob and ruin the seamless integration of the design.

Any thoughts you guys may have to help out, or something you may have done before would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]

34. toddslightning

toddslightning New Member

im acutly a bulder .. i work for my fathers company and i have been doin so for over 12 years ... im very handy so any questions feel free to ask.. but i have a solution to ur eliminating ur door knbob and make it even more liek the movie how the doors slide .. its called a pocket door .. u see these in more expensive houses becasue they cost a lil more thne ur average door .. but what they do is slide either left or right and they slide into the wall .. they also have them that are run electriclly and u push a button to open it whicj would be absolutly sick in the room ur buildin ... lol even hook a sound board up to it to make it swushhh open and close

heres wut im talkin bout
    Pocket Door Frame from Johnson Hardware | The Home Depot - Model#: 153068HD

35. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm jealous! This is great!

36. Gator Fett

Gator Fett Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic build. I will be following this thread with interest.

I'll throw out a few brainstorming options for you, but the placement of the "object" in the rendering looks like it is up and to the right of the actual door knob. That complicates things a little bit, unless you move the knob up higher on the door.

If you move the "object" to the knob area you could ....

1. Change the knob to a lever handle, and blend that into the objects design. Here is a cool one that could blend into the design.

[​IMG]

2. On the site where I found that lever they also have a thing called the UIP-ULTRALATCH. Never heard of it, but it looks even more integratable than the lever.

[​IMG]

3. Get rid of the regular door latch all together and change the latching mechanism to large cabinet style latch that you would have on kitchen cabinets. The roller latch would have to be sized for a larger door, but you could then locate the object any where you like and just construct it tough enough so you can pull the door open. Put a dummy knob on the insided of the door and you're good to go.

[​IMG]

Gator

37. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think it's awesome that you have an old NES on your wall! :lol

Love your builds!

38. Fuzzual

(im acutly a bulder .. i work for my fathers company and i have been doin so for over 12 years ... im very handy so any questions feel free to ask.. but i have a solution to ur eliminating ur door knbob and make it even more liek the movie how the doors slide .. its called a pocket door .. u see these in more expensive houses becasue they cost a lil more thne ur average door .. but what they do is slide either left or right and they slide into the wall .. they also have them that are run electriclly and u push a button to open it whicj would be absolutly sick in the room ur buildin ... lol even hook a sound board up to it to make it swushhh open and close

heres wut im talkin bout
    Pocket Door Frame from Johnson Hardware | The Home Depot - Model#: 153068HD)

toddslightning, I love the pocket door idea, unfortunately as I have installed these before, it won't work in that space. I would have to basically take that wall down, and rebuild it. (Which would be great, but I would like to utilize the door I have to save funds) However, I will absolutely use that at the laundry room doorway, as I have to buy one for that space anyway. And I love the sound effect idea as well, I think that is MUST do. Thanks!

39. Fuzzual

Gator Fett, this is a great way to go, I think i like the cabinet method the best, what do you think about the magnetic type vs the style you put up? I think it might actually work pretty well, thoughts?

[​IMG]

40. Fuzzual

got love it right? I have an old beat up Sega lying around as well, that is definitely going up too!

And thank you, glad you like my odd builds. Not exactly replica's but I enjoy the creativity!

41. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

For latches, even full size door latches, there are lots of ways Neodymium magnets can be utilized to hold them closed. You can even use switched Neodymium magnets (like Magswitches) as an interesting way to fix something closed that can be released with the turn of a knob.

Magswitch Magnetic Jigs - Rockler Woodworking Tools

42. FuseNova

FuseNova Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow - really looking forward to this build. This looks amazing.

43. Fuzzual

Wow! I am a bit of a wood worker, and I come from a long line of master carpenters (Far better than me) and I had not seen these before. Thank you, I think that would be great for this project, and I think I need about 10 more for the shop.

44. Eisso

Eisso New Member

I'm subscribing to this thread for sure. Can't wait to see this done.

45. feide

feide Well-Known Member

You may be able to remove the door knob and actuate the bolt using bike brake cable mechanism connected to the piece you describe.

46. Gator Fett

Gator Fett Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Magnet latches would work too. The link to Rockler that Phil posted is a very cool looking option. If you go magnetic, I would lean toward the Neodymium magnets because the standard cabinet grade ones do not have much holding power.

47. Fuzzual

Pretty slow progress as of late, but I did just get my first LED order in this morning. It is an RGB LED system. 15' with an IR remote, multi mode function, the works. This will go in the ceiling above the poker table. Should be a great little effect, and the best part . . . $26.00 on ebay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

48. Harada357

Harada357 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

An AWESOME PROJECT !!!! The pics are incredible !!!!

:love:love:love:love:love

Gordon

49. Fuzzual

Thanks brother, I'm on Christmas detail for the boss (the wife) so all my projects are on hold till the first of the year, but I'm pretty excited to get back after this.

50. fettster

fettster Sr Member

Very cool project! Can't wait to see more