The Shuttlecraft Galileo

Alec ("Loken") and I won the Galileo earlier today. We are very very happy to have the opportunity to acquire and renovate Galileo.

Let me assure you we have a straightforward goal: restore her and put her on display for the fans. Details to follow - when we have them. This will take a great deal of time and effort. But i'm confident we will be proud of the result.

I know the internet is an excellent source of opinions, support, and on occasion criticism. No doubt many will chime in with opinions and ideas. We welcome your commentary and support - as this is going to be hard.
Any thoughts of approaching Mike Okuda and/or Doug Drexler? I don't think the restoration of Shuttlepod One would have gone as smoothly without that expert help.

Good luck!

Search4,

You've got a lot of work ahead of you restoring this prop...
The weather in Ohio hasn't been kind to it.... and frankly I think the last owner was both loopy AND greedy.
Far more is going to be spent restoring this prop than its actual scrap value...

Doug Drexler, Mike Okuda and Darren Dochterman have all volunteered to be part of this. Thanks for all the support.

Alec

Alec ("Loken") and I won the Galileo earlier today. We are very very happy to have the opportunity to acquire and renovate Galileo.

Let me assure you we have a straightforward goal: restore her and put her on display for the fans. Details to follow - when we have them. This will take a great deal of time and effort. But i'm confident we will be proud of the result.

I know the internet is an excellent source of opinions, support, and on occasion criticism. No doubt many will chime in with opinions and ideas. We welcome your commentary and support - as this is going to be hard.

I am very happy to hear this. The mystery of my childhood has now been solved and Galileo has been recovered. She has finally been found and is in good hands now.I wish you well on your restoration.All of the best to you and your efforts.

Well, while I do admit this is probably going to resemble more the Tom Hanks film "The Money Pit" than a set piece for awhile, I am glad somebody is getting it. So congratulations. As for the money spent $61 doesn't seem like much (or was that supposed to be a comma rather than a period Tymer?). ;)

The biggest key as I see it is making sure this bird has a fully paid for restoration home for at least the next couple of years, so it doesn't have to get pulled out with the work half done. Secondly, it does need a first class restoration team (and no, I don't have the wood working skills to volunteer for this). I would say in addition to enlisting the aid of Okuda and/or Drexler, it would not be a bad idea to also enlist the aid of a set designer/builder (a tradesman who works on Broadway doing sets might be a good score) to make sure that the wood and construction materials selected for this project will last under wear and tear. As a sideways suggestion, Bethpage on Long Island might also have some old tradesman who are experienced with building plywood engineering mockups for Grumman of aircraft and spacecraft (such as the Lunar Modules) during the old days who could also provide some input. Homebuilt aircraft builders with experience in working with wood, laminates and fiberglass might also not be a bad idea to consult. Although weight here might not be much of a factor, except in regards to transportation. And well, there have been nearly 50 years of advances in wood construction since the shuttle was first built.

I would also say too that if you guys are soliciting donations, don't stop with that. Reason being is "restoring" this bird I think is going to be a bit more costly than you realize and the final restoration bill could potentially dwarf the auction bid. But doing it right and making it as durable as possible (which could mean weatherproofing it if you guys are considering perhaps having Intrepid display it near Space Shuttle Enterprise on the deck of the carrier) is probably going to be more of a priority here than trying to keep things all original in regards to the materials used.

$61.000 for this albatross? I can see an awful lot more uses for this kind of money myself.

Actually that is cheaper then I thought she would go for.

It's not an albatross, it's an important piece of Hollywood AND Sci Fi history. (and a great tool for the writers.. shuttlecrafts get their characters into trouble and drama!)
It's one for the ages as much as the works of of H.G. Wells or Jules Verne. It's not it's fault that it was never able to be cared for by museum standards nor could people in the early days know that it would be important.

Why important?

I quote this too much perhaps... "Dreams are maps". -Carl Sagan

Galileo is part of an important dream.

Good luck!

Search4,

You've got a lot of work ahead of you restoring this prop...
The weather in Ohio hasn't been kind to it.... and frankly I think the last owner was both loopy AND greedy.
Far more is going to be spent restoring this prop than its actual scrap value...

GeorgeC, if that is your real name, come face me in person and say that. You are a misinformed idiot. I spent double on this thing than I got back. I am about to retire and have kept this shuttle for 23 years in various hangars in Ohio. The last restorer who was a total crook allowed it to sit under a tarp when it was to be inside, and I found it one day without the tarp. Yes, I must be loopy to even care what you say or to have tried to keep this thing alive, and to have lost all that money through the years. You are a dolt and a back seat driver.

Last edited:
SNIP

$61.000 for this albatross? I can see an awful lot more uses for this kind of money myself.

Man! The internet is an amazing place.
Scrap value? More uses for this kind of money?
There are people paying MILLIONS for brush strokes on a piece of canvas.
(That I assume would have NO scrap value at all.)
The Galileo is art, it is nostalgia, it is entertainment history, and it is the only one in the world.
I have nothing but the best hopes and wishes for the folks who acquired it,
and appreciation for those who attempted to preserve it over the years.
As a small contributor to another effort to preserve a large prop ship from a sci-fi property
Ariel Ambulance
I appreciate what a daunting challenge that is.

I hope it ends up some place that I might see it, some day.

Congrats and Cheers,
Mike
My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

Thank you pennausamike. There are some people who will never get it. They prefer to spout off about something they cannot begin to understand. The Internet allows them to do this with anonymity. Some of us do not have that luxury.

As for those who chose to undertake this preservation and restoration of a 47 year old icon, it is their choice. There are those who were inspired by the story and the presentation of Star Trek. They had dreams. So, for those who would say the money could have been more wisely spent I say do you have no passion in your life? Do you do nothing that is beyond the ordinary? Then I feel sorry for you.

Well said Lyndie, and thank you for your efforts over the years. I see that the new owner of the Shuttlecraft appears to be on the east coast. I would love to be involved in the project, even to volunteer to carry supplies, prime wood, I live in the New York area. best of luck.

Very cool. Can't wait to come see it in person sometime. Always wished there was a "full-size set museum" somewhere in the world filled with shuttlecraft, x-wings, vipers, dropships, speeders...

Thank you pennausamike. There are some people who will never get it. They prefer to spout off about something they cannot begin to understand. The Internet allows them to do this with anonymity. Some of us do not have that luxury.

As for those who chose to undertake this preservation and restoration of a 47 year old icon, it is their choice. There are those who were inspired by the story and the presentation of Star Trek. They had dreams. So, for those who would say the money could have been more wisely spent I say do you have no passion in your life? Do you do nothing that is beyond the ordinary? Then I feel sorry for you.

While I thank you for hanging onto the shuttlecraft all these years. I'm curious as to why you waited until now to find a new owner. Seems like there're plenty of Star Trek fans out there that would've helped out. Probably at their own expense. The problem on our end was, we didn't know where it had gone.

GeorgeC, if that is your real name, come face me in person and say that. You are a misinformed idiot. I spent double on this thing than I got back. I am about to retire and have kept this shuttle for 23 years in various hangars in Ohio. The last restorer who was a total crook allowed it to sit under a tarp when it was to be inside, and I found it one day without the tarp. Yes, I must be loopy to even care what you say or to have tried to keep this thing alive, and to have lost all that money through the years. You are a dolt and a back seat driver.

Lyndie,

You're not a lady and you don't know me...

I'm a straight-shooter. You don't like that I'm opinionated, well then @#$ you.
I could talk you off a hell of a lot more than you have me but I'm going to be the adult and just get to the point --

You kept the damn thing for outdoors 20+ years and didn't do anything with it but let it deterioriate...

IF you had really cared, you would have taken care of the prop far earlier and gotten it to someone who could have kept a heck of a lot more of the original material.

Right now, we're talking not restoration but a practical rebuild top-to-bottom unless the weather in Ohio is much better than what I've experienced living here.

You got lucky that someone paid you well over what this thing is worth NOW.

Hey, it's somebody else's money in the end so they can do whatever they want with it...

One thing's for sure -- you'll take better care of that 60G's than you ever did the prop!

Lyndie,

I could talk you off a hell of a lot more than you have me but I'm going to be the adult and just get to the point --

You kept the damn thing for outdoors 20+ years and didn't do anything with it but let it deterioriate...

IF you had really cared, you would have taken care of the prop far earlier and gotten it to someone who could have kept a heck of a lot more of the original material.

Right now, we're talking not restoration but a practical rebuild top-to-bottom unless the weather in Ohio is much better than what I've experienced living here.

Hey, it's somebody else's money in the end so they can do whatever they want with it...

One thing's for sure -- you'll take better care of that 60G's than you ever did the prop!

I am not sure that is fair GeorgeC. I do not know Lyndie (or had ever heard of her before now) but she sounds like she is a Trek fan from way back. The ship was likely bought because the person really had the best of intentions to restore and take care of it (and I think it even appeared at a couple of events for other fans to enjoy). I have 71 Stage 1 Buick GS that is sitting outside right now because I can not afford a storage shed to keep it out of the elements for it anymore (like it deserves). That does not mean that I no longer care about the care or am ready to sell it.

It sounds to me like Lyndie's story is more about someone who held out hope that she could do the ship justice one day but finally reached a point where she gave up on it.

A mid-grade Phaser 1 just sold at profiles in history for over 60,000 so I don't think anyone really screwed anyone else over in the auction. I am not trying to get in the middle and stir up a battle, I am just saying, if that was your ship and one of your dreams was to someday fix it up at what point would you call it quits? For a lot of fans who would like to have seen it in a museum maybe it was to long, but for the owner it was now and really that is all that count's.

There are some people who will never get it. They prefer to spout off about something they cannot begin to understand. The Internet allows them to do this with anonymity. Some of us do not have that luxury.

Actually I do get it and I am speaking from experiance from dealing with this "Albatross" back in the 80's when a Trek obsessed friend of mine was caring for it for its then curent owner and had it parked in a storage yard not more than a few miles from my home.
Most I feel think with their emotions rather common sense when it comes to this prop. If I were to take....say for example....the basic skeleton housing of an original Trek Tricorder, Replace all its outer shells, tv screen, buttons, speaker, leather strap and restore it to its original look can I still call this an original prop? Well thats just whats beng done with this since there's nothing original left of this prop except the metal framework and nacells that supported it.
First of all lets clarfy something...........I'm not knocking the guys who bought it and want to work on "restoring" it. If they want to throw away a ton of money on this then more power to them...and I wish them all well and good luck. I just hope they clearly thought this all out of what they are getting into before they took on this because they are in for a long haul...money-wise and work-wise. Lets also not forget that it will continue to cost money just to keep this stored somewhere during restoration and after even if they ever find a museum to house it and will continue to cost money way beyond all our years. Especially since it does take up A LOT of real estate. It also costs alot of money and work everytime you need to move it somewhere too.

This is by far not a simple prop to own.

Frankly its just my opinion and if I had $61,000 + the buyers premium to spend then I just feel I could put that kind of money to better use. I do wish you guys well but another reason I feel this is a money-pit is I'm thinking way into the future when its current own passes away and its exchanged a few more hands.....my guess it will eventually end up right back sitting outside in some storage lot deteriorating once again because of the costs to keep this thing.
....again its just my opinion, common sense and how I feel about it but good luck and well wishes.....I'm sure it will look great once you have finished it....for now that is.

Lyndie,

Again GerogeC you do not know what you are talking about. You have not seen it. I stored the shuttle in hangars for many years, probably 15 of those years first at the Akron Fulton Airport and later at the Akron Canton Airport. This is well known by anyone who can conduct a search. And the last restoration team was to store it inside, but left it outside under a tarp. Their intension was to finish the hull. At that time I lived far away and trusted them.

There was little interest from anyone in buying the shuttle, and no internet for communcation for many years. I only recently became aware that anyone was even interested in it. I stored it and had hope that someday it would be completed.

You say I do not know you, then why the vitriol? Then identify yourself coward. Everyone who is even mildly interested in this knows my name thanks to certain posters. I have no anonimity.

Get this straight shooter, it is only a TV prop, and has nothing what-so-ever to do with you. It is only a prop, a momento. It is not a human being. I am. To say the things you have said are uncalled for, but frankly who cares what you think? From your crude comments I would not want to know you. As for the final price, I have spent double that over the past years so to quote you "@#$ you!" And, what I do with the sale price is my business

Lyndie,

There are plenty of people who appreciate all you have been through with the Galileo.

Most people are utterly clueless about what it really takes to take care of something of this magnitude.

I've followed it's history since the start and even tried to buy it from Roger back in the day. I would have gladly pitched in to help. It really just fell out of the world for us.

Glad it's back. I've seen many other such artifacts not be so lucky.

Try and ignore the ignorant.

Thanks again.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back