Prop Store

The Shuttlecraft Galileo

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by Krel, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Krel

Krel Sr Member

On the Hobby Talk forum, a person posted claiming to own the Shuttlecraft Galileo. It is in storage and needs work, as the person he had restoring it was a bit of a con man: The Galileo LIVES! - HobbyTalk It starts on post 11.

If this is not the correct place to post this, then please feel free to move it to the correct place.

David.

2. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

You beat me to it!:lol
    Seems real to me!
    YAHOO!!!

3. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am confused as the last story was the owner never came to claim it in some storage yard and it was hauled off as scrap when the land was cleared.

As I understood it, only the metal frame and warp tubes were original as the wood was long rotten and replaced.

I'm skeptical until there is evidence.

4. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I politely asked for some from him in my original thread. I sometimes build up hope too quickly...:behave I swear I will cry if this goes south.:confused

5. CessnaDriver

Agreed. Me too!

If his story is true, times have changed and I can see easily fans taking this off his hands and getting her back in shape.

6. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

I knew this would be here already, but wanted to verify.

Sounds legit to me. As to what parts of it are still original, probably little, if any, of the wood. Plus, it sat outside in the rain. The owner claims many bits were restored and kept elsewhere.

If true, someone able to purchase and restore this should follow up and verify. It would be a shame if this is the real deal and it gets trashed further.

7. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I personally view the Galileo sort as teh One Ring.

It should be destroyed before it ruins more lives.

The guy is right it IS an albatross. It's big, awkward, and just the wrong size to pull it around with a trailer.

Plus I'm still bitter about having my offer turned down to buy in 1980.

8. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

In my estimation of the evidence I've found (just MY estimation, mind you), it seems like 25% of it might be original, give or take. That's still epic IMO. 25% of the Holy Grail of TV SF? I'll take it!

9. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

The nacelles, rear landing pad, tude steel frame from the wing line down, are original.

Pretty sure all the wood was replaced. It sure needed it.

10. CessnaDriver

What happened to the original wood?
    Even in bad shape that is valuable reference.

11. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

darth_myeek likes this.
  12. CessnaDriver

Agreed, it's huge news as those were large pieces that were on set and interacted with the actors.
    Hoping this is the real deal and there is still this last chance.

13. Capt Bob April

Capt Bob April New Member

For the record, the owner is a "she".

Frankly, I'd rather see the shuttle go to an aviation museum where the restoration work can continue and folks can see it up close, instead of squirreled away in some rich guy's barn. We've had too many years of having no idea where the thing was or if it'd been reduced to kindling.

14. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Warped is better than burned to a crisp, like the Galactica Viper...:cry

15. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I hope to see it resurrected.

The San Diego Aerospace Museum was willing to hang it from their ceiling once.

16. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

It needs to be on ground level, so people can enter it, with soft moccasins and felt gloves, not breathing too heavily....

17. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

That will never happen at a museum. Even SciFi.

That thing is huge.

18. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Weeping now... :cry

19. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Simple economics. Floor space at any museum is too valuable for "fantasy" space ships.

And Sci-Fi is constantly on the verge of closing and there simply is NOT floor space there for it. But they could hang it like they did the Spinner. But even that might not fit there.

That thing is huge.

20. Capt Trekkin

Capt Trekkin New Member

Outstanding...It's real? Wow!

21. Capt Trekkin

Capt Trekkin New Member

Love to get that for my collection.... I wonder how much they would want for it?

Someone who has alot of cash will get it... Maybe they will restore her . I hope it don't go to a FREAK show

22. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

I left my 2 cents. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I would like to see the condition of the prop. Hope she posts pics.

There are a few collectors out there that are going to go for it. If it comes on the market regardless of condition. She could have a bidding war on her hands.

Oh boy, not the freak show. I would feel a lot better if ended up in a private collection. No museum would want such a prop, ST just isn't that big a draw for the expense. But a private collector would be willing to put in the effort/money to restore the prop.

23. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great news if true I will believe it when new pics are posted.

As far as a museum no will one buy it.

If real this will end up in a private collection

24. CessnaDriver

Short of a buyer restoring and donating to a museum, Paul Allen would be the best person to get this and put it in his museum.

25. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

Sadly the rumor on the street is the sci-fi museum will soon be no more.

Paul Allen isn't the only player on that field, there are at least two other guys that would bid for the shuttle.

I think she is nuts to consider the guys that make the ST fan films. They are the definition of the freak show.

26. Apollo

She is probably being polite.

Money talks and BS walks!

27. AdmiralBuck

AdmiralBuck New Member

What remained of the original wood was basically shards of decayed organic matter. As each piece was removed, it was carefully patterned onto new wood. What Lynne did with what we replaced, I don't know. But I'm sure they should have been preserved in gold and glass reliquaries.

28. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

Lets hope so, I've seen scarier things happen in this hobby.

29. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

And why would you say that? P2 has been around for about a decade now I believe and has recruited some high level help in all departments of people who have worked on the Paramount Trek shows. Their production values keep going up every year and unlike some of the other fan film groups, they haven't imploded or disbanded. They've even got other fan film groups utilizing their sets from time to time as apparently they are at least keeping their rent payments up.

By definition, science fiction fandom is a "freak show" already. I could think of worse "freak shows" to make a pitch for the Galileo than these guys.

As far as the shuttlecraft goes, a few postings by a relatively unknown individual is not proof that it exists. The story seems to ring true, but con men (or con people) have been able to do more with less. What we need now is time and somebody to verify it considering how quickly the story broke. I "hope" it is true though.

As for Paul's SF museum, even if that were to fold, I could see the potential for smaller travelling exhibits to other museums as I doubt Paul would cut lose the entire collection. Seattle isn't quite the place it once was as you've got people migrating away and some of them are heading north of the border to Vancouver for good jobs.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  30. pennausamike

pennausamike Sr Member

Re: ST PhaseII being a freak show, this:

Especially the part where they found a place they could afford to store and use rather large Star Trek interior sets.
    I've seen these folks at a couple of conventions.
    I would say they have their act together with regards to the mechanics of making ambitious effort, hobby-level films.
    Attacking their level of artistic achievement doesn't in any way influence their ability to safeguard a large prop/set like the Galileo.
    Finding a stable, safe place to keep large, cast-off Hollywood vehicle props is always Problem Number One.
    Phase II could probably provide that.
    The level of their restoration skills becomes a moot point at some point,
    because the alternative may become destruction of the prop altogether.

Finally, if Phase II got Galileo, she would be seen on screen again,
    which is kind of cooler than just sitting in a barn or museum.

Mike

31. Apollo

From what I'm reading she wants Money PERIOD

I don't think any of the Fan-boy filmmakers can afford it.

Could be wrong though.

32. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

Lets keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully some proof will materialize soon.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  33. Apollo

Even crossing my toes

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  34. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

It doesn't matter who long people have been around, all of the stuff I've seen from those guys is plain awful. They only reason they have been able to recruit is they pay. We are talking about movie people here, it doesn't matter what they did in the past. Most are just as broke as the rest of us, so they will grab whatever they can get.

35. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Just remember, "awful" is a relative term. You may not like it and have a dim opinion of it, but it is certainly better than the alternative right now in terms of any form of Star Trek currently in production on a semi-regular basis (besides, even the time between Trek movies tends to be about 3 years).

Granted considering what amount of funds this person who apparently "has" the Galileo (and we have yet to see proof of that) likely wants for it, it is going to take a massive heap of green to get the prop anywhere. As such, I wouldn't lay any money on James Cawley and company getting enough funds together to secure the set piece. But, I wouldn't bet against them either as the possibility is there. And, if they did manage to get it, I think they would give it a good home, have it re-built and maybe put it to good use. A lot of things would have to happen before that though.

36. CessnaDriver

So far requests for pics are being ignored. Not a good sign.

37. Capt Trekkin

Capt Trekkin New Member

I agree PICTURES speak the TRUTH if the Prop is Or is not REAL to confirm if the story is true...
    What price are they seeking or asking for the Shuttlecraft Galileo?
    I see no replys on this matter to the person who claims such. To me this could be BS or a Con ? PROOF is NEEDED!!!

38. Capt Trekkin

Capt Trekkin New Member

I'm concern that this maybe a con-game. Something just don't sound or smell right. Being retired from law enforcement, I have seen alot of Con-Games in my days on the force.
    I want some kind of PROOF even if Galileo is a pile of junk. The request for pictures is only fair ...Don't all of you think so too?

39. CessnaDriver

Yeah, it's small talk, sad story, and I want money for it for days now.

Why go of all places to a hobby forum, not Trek, not Props, not auction or Hollywood collectors forum and announce you have this grand lost item and offer no pics or reason why your there with this news?

Unless someone trustable has talked on the phone and recognizes the voice, I'm writing this off.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  40. Apollo

The people who can pull this off have probably flown to see it in person.

:lol They are not that dumb that's why they have the money to buy this! :lol

41. CessnaDriver

In in era of numerous TV shows and events with very high profile auctions some even prop focused this person is not behaving rationally if this person is legit.

Hobby Talk is not a place to go with such an announcement if your even half cognizant of the value of this.

If it is true, this person is behaving extremely odd and must not grasp the present reality of possessing this prop. I'll leave that slim chance open since Trek does attract an odd duck now and again.

42. Apollo

Yes Personally I think it's B.S. but stranger things have happened in Trekdom

43. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

I'm the owner of the Galileo shuttle craft! I can prove it with a picture.

I took it for a spin last night to pick up some Romulan Potato Salad for Thanksgivings today..

[​IMG]

44. Apollo

Pm sent! :lol

45. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

That can't be the real Galileo, the real one says Galileo II on the side.

First one burned up, remember.

You're a fraud. :lol

46. CessnaDriver

Well I got chewed out by the professed owner over at Dewback Wing for calling BS on this, but pics are said to be forthcoming now. Happy to eat crow of course if it is served.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  47. CessnaDriver

48. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I don't know what the point of faking this all up would be.

Why they think blurry pictures that could have been taken ten years ago is some kind of proof, I don't know. That's no way to sell it. And it sounds like she wants it gone.

I'll say this. I know people that would pay to have this shipped to CA and have it restored. But not for huge money. It's an albatross and it takes a special collector to own large stuff.

I'm here. No one knows this subject more than me, as far as I know.

If they want it gone and make some money. My address is here.

Come get me, I'll make it happen.

I've chased IT, long enough.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  49. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

So it looks by the excellent photos provided by the owner that only the strut and the nacelles survived. Of course with this quality of photos we could be looking at an AMT model.

50. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Oh well, that's cleared that up. No doubts now. :rolleyes