The Shuttlecraft Galileo

The Galileo belongs in the Smithsonian.

And that's all I have to say about that.

If it is a TOS Trek item we are talking about I think it is a requirement to be fake and not even close looking to the screen used item to be displayed in the Smithsonian. :lol:lol:lol

Technically the Smithsonian didn't "abuse" the Enterprise. They had some guy restore it who just had a different "interpretation" as to what it looked like (which is a shame as I don't think they treat their planes like that, they use as many references as they can when doing a restoration). All things considered, for a place that has held onto the old girl since the late 1970s, the model is not in all that bad a shape considering it was never really designed to last THIS long.

I agree though that the shuttle's home is not there. It will find a home, but I am just not sure where exactly.

I dream of an aircraft hangar or some warehouse somewhere that had housed all these amazing full size sets: Galileo, X-Wings, Vipers, etc...

I dream of an aircraft hangar or some warehouse somewhere that had housed all these amazing full size sets: Galileo, X-Wings, Vipers, etc...

That would be nice, but as we all know sadly impractical. These things take up so much space...and if you did have a spare aircraft hangar somewhere, you'd probably want to store aircraft in it--or if not then classic cars, or anything which doesn't take up so much real estate. Not to mention the tremendous cost of just transporting a bunch of these full-scale pieces there in the first place... The background Vipers from BSG, if I remember correctly, were just scrapped immediately because the fair assumption was that nobody would want to buy them and have to pay the huge freight costs; they even had trouble selling the foreground hero ships, which didn't initially meet reserves.

If I understand correctly, as she sits most of the Galileo is rebuilt from new wood, with only the nacelles and some lower areas or structure components being original. I could be wrong, and maybe the original warped panels were saved, I don't know, but IIRC as it sits much of or most of her current body except for nacelles and struts is not original. Bit of a "Ship of Theseus paradox" that. If that's true, personally, as much as I hate hate hate costume cards and such, if I owned the Galileo all of a sudden, I'd probably have one nacelle and strut restored and sectioned so I could easily put that on display indoors, and let someone else deal with the rest. Heresy, I know, and maybe I'm wrong about how much of her body is original, but...

Last edited:

And the hanger could be in a museum that's a full size aircraft carrier converted into a replica of the Space Battleship Yamaoto! Oh that was be soooo awesome.

After all - that's not totally out of the realm of possible realities. Heck, there's a number of retired carriers serving as aircraft museums already.

And the hanger could be in a museum that's a full size aircraft carrier converted into a replica of the Space Battleship Yamaoto! Oh that was be soooo awesome.

After all - that's not totally out of the realm of possible realities. Heck, there's a number of retired carriers serving as aircraft museums already.

That's so cool.... Now I'm showing my age....RATS!

Nothing wrong with being skeptical and in trek that is a good thing, lol. When things are firmed up and confirmed there will be notification.
You let me know ASAP and I'll take back every word I said....lol
I know where the USS ENTERPRISE NCC-1701 is located...
Been there to see it and I will say it seem to be in good order for her age!

The background Vipers from BSG, if I remember correctly, were just scrapped immediately because the fair assumption was that nobody would want to buy them and have to pay the huge freight costs; they even had trouble selling the foreground hero ships, which didn't initially meet reserves.

I believe there was only one (the others being digital copies) and it was disposed of in a direct sale to these folks:

Battlestar Galactica (2003) | Les Archives de la Science-Fiction

Apparently the ladder with it was the one Adama made his big landing bay "whos with me" speech on in the episode 'Daybreak'

I believe there was only one (the others being digital copies) and it was disposed of in a direct sale to these folks:

Apparently the ladder with it was the one Adama made his big landing bay "whos with me" speech on in the episode 'Daybreak'

There was at least one partial full-size Viper exterior made for background use in the hangar bay, as the Propworx folks mentioned that it was scrapped when the sets were struck. Remember that digital effects were more expensive when the new BSG began almost a decade ago, so it made a lot of sense to build practical background craft for the sets instead of using digital inserts all the time. Now it's so much cheaper that I doubt we'll ever see full practical sets again for anything large or complex... I've seen set photos from the newest BSG spinoff Blood & Chrome, and it's green screen everywhere.

Just last week, I was watching Pan Am when my grandfather remarked how beautiful the airport was and said he wondered where they filmed it. I told him it was just a set on a soundstage, and that the airport they're replicating (the Pan Am Worldport at JFK) is now a run-down terminal set for demolition. "But you can see all those moving planes through the windows, how can it be an indoor set?" he asked. :lol

Well, I happen to know that the shuttlecraft had gone from Torrance, where those photos were taken, and went down to San Diego, to a boatbuilder that I had met with. He displayed the shuttle at some of the Star Trek conventions, and it was in pretty good condition at that time, about 25-30 years ago. It then went to a fellow that I know in Palm Springs, who stored it for the shipbuilder. Last I heard they had sold it. So, if the owner of the shuttlecraft can name the shipbuilder in San Diego, and/or the fellow in Palm Springs who sold it for the shipbuilder, then it will prove that this is the real deal!

BSGcoaster13.jpg

There is also a full sized Viper at the BSG ride in Singapore. Here is a photo of it along with a Pegasus CIC set piece.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back