The problem regarding the green LED's on the Tomenosuke Blaster

So, as promised here is my Update regarding the Hiromi 316G lights for the Tomenosuke 2019 Retailer Edition. Disclaimer: Your results may vary and there is a lot of flimsy things that come in here. Always keep a steady hand, dont force anything in when it doesn't fit. I'm NOT responsible for damages you do to your Blaster or yourself.

Lets start with a little FAQ first:

Q: Do the Hiromi 316G fit into the sightrod?
A: Yes they fit, BUT you will have to squeeze them lightly. If you do not feel comfortable with that: DON'T DO IT!

Q: Will it fit Model XYZ of my Blaster?
A: I can't definitly answer that. Nor will i guarantee that you will have the same results as me. The whole process described here works on the Tomenosuke 2019 Retailer Edition Version of the Blaster.

Q: Where do i find those LED lights?

A: I posted the site on the first comment, the site is called Hobbylink Japan, the model of the Light is the Hiromi LED 316G That stands for 3mm diameter, 16mm in length and the color Green. The lights cost about 4,00 Euro per piece plus shipping and taxes/customs.

Q: I can't fit it in. Am I doing something wrong?
A: as stated above: D.O.N.'T. use force or hard pressure to squeeze the light into the rod. Batteries can be dangerous if you squeeze or damage them.

Now to the fun part:

First of prepare your blaster by removing the placeholder LED's Tomen doesn't glue them in. Remove the LED's with small plyers by gently moving them, do not use hard force or pressure or they will break. They sit not to tight so removing them should be not that hard.

20230522_142710.jpg

20230522_143154.jpg

Prepare your insert LED Lights

20230522_142808.jpg

and make sure nothing is in the rod

20230522_143320.jpg

Now if you like you can remove the rod from the blaster by unscrewing it. However i did not do that.

Take one of the Green Hitomi LED Lights and gently try to push it into the rod. If it doesnt fit try using some lubricant before attempting to squeeze any part of the light. If the lubricant doesn't work: Try the following. Take some small and not sharp plyers like these

20230522_151402.jpg

and GENTLY, VERY GENTLY squeeze the lower part of the LED light together, rotate with the plyers around it. DO NOT use hard pressure, just gentle small squeezes try to fit it into the rod now using some lubricant (i used WD40)

20230522_145824.jpg

you will realize that the LED light now at least fits in a little, you don't have to push it all the way it, just as much until it sits tight.

20230522_145759.jpg

You can push it further in, i recommend not pushing it too far in (believe me... that costed me two of those lights...) good thing i ordered six...

20230522_150137.jpg

You can now push to turn the lights on and slightly pull under the LED to turn them of, do so very carefully with your fingernails, you don't necessarly need to use both hands as stated on the back of the packaging
20230522_150352.jpg

You can put the green rubber caps on the lights to blend the silver metal. Also that way it is easier to push and pull the LED.

20230522_150528.jpg

You're almost done now.

Push your LEDs or the caps on them until they turn on

20230522_142915.jpg

Pull on the caps until the LED's turn off.

20230522_150528.jpg

Thats it. As i stated do not do any of this if you don't feel comfortable with slightly squeezing the Battery together. As you can see on the pictures i did not overdo it and it doesn't require much to fit them in a standard rod. I had more succes on the 3D Printed one since the rod differs slightly. It was easier to push the lights into that, but also since that rod is glued on plastic it is easier to break of.

If you have any questions don't be shy, just ask.

Cheers,

Spikeyfied

Last edited:
So, as promised here is my Update regarding the Hiromi 316G lights for the Tomenosuke 2019 Retailer Edition. Disclaimer: Your results may vary and there is a lot of flimsy things that come in here. Always keep a steady hand, dont force anything in when it doesn't fit. I'm NOT responsible for damages you do to your Blaster or yourself.

Lets start with a little FAQ first:

Q: Do the Hiromi 316G fit into the sightrod?
A: Yes they fit, BUT you will have to squeeze them lightly. If you do not feel comfortable with that: DON'T DO IT!

Q: Will it fit Model XYZ of my Blaster?
A: I can't definitly answer that. Nor will i guarantee that you will have the same results as me. The whole process described here works on the Tomenosuke 2019 Retailer Edition Version of the Blaster.

Q: Where do i find those LED lights?

A: I posted the site on the first comment, the site is called Hobbylink Japan, the model of the Light is the Hiromi LED 316G That stands for 3mm diameter, 16mm in length and the color Green. The lights cost about 4,00 Euro per piece plus shipping and taxes/customs.

Q: I can't fit it in. Am I doing something wrong?
A: as stated above: D.O.N.'T. use force or hard pressure to squeeze the light into the rod. Batteries can be dangerous if you squeeze or damage them.

Now to the fun part:

First of prepare your blaster by removing the placeholder LED's Tomen doesn't glue them in. Remove the LED's with small plyers by gently moving them, do not use hard force or pressure or they will break. They sit not to tight so removing them should be not that hard.

View attachment 1703462

View attachment 1703482

Prepare your insert LED Lights

View attachment 1703463

and make sure nothing is in the rod

View attachment 1703470

Now if you like you can remove the rod from the blaster by unscrewing it. However i did not do that.

Take one of the Green Hitomi LED Lights and gently try to push it into the rod. If it doesnt fit try using some lubricant before attempting to squeeze any part of the light. If the lubricant doesn't work: Try the following. Take some small and not sharp plyers like these

View attachment 1703483

and GENTLY, VERY GENTLY squeeze the lower part of the LED light together, rotate with the plyers around it. DO NOT use hard pressure, just gentle small squeezes try to fit it into the rod now using some lubricant (i used WD40)

View attachment 1703475

you will realize that the LED light now at least fits in a little, you don't have to push it all the way it, just as much until it sits tight.

View attachment 1703476

You can push it further in, i recommend not pushing it too far in (believe me... that costed me two of those lights...) good thing i ordered six...

View attachment 1703477

You can now push to turn the lights on and slightly pull under the LED to turn them of, do so very carefully with your fingernails, you don't necessarly need to use both hands as stated on the back of the packaging
View attachment 1703478

You can put the green rubber caps on the lights to blend the silver metal. Also that way it is easier to push and pull the LED.

View attachment 1703479

You're almost done now.

Push your LEDs or the caps on them until they turn on

View attachment 1703480

Pull on the caps until the LED's turn off.

View attachment 1703481

Thats it. As i stated do not do any of this if you don't feel comfortable with slightly squeezing the Battery together. As you can see on the pictures i did not overdo it and it doesn't require much to fit them in a standard rod. I had more succes on the 3D Printed one since the rod differs slightly. It was easier to push the lights into that, but also since that rod is glued on plastic it is easier to break of.

If you have any questions don't be shy, just ask.

Cheers,

Spikeyfied
Thanks for sharing!!! Very very helpful! Very appreciative of you taking the time to share.

It looks doable but they’re sold out of the green lights anyways!! I think you bought them all! Lol

I wish TOM would make more rods with the leds installed. Not sure why they won’t or don’t make more. Can’t be that complicated.

Thanks for sharing!!! Very very helpful! Very appreciative of you taking the time to share.

It looks doable but they’re sold out of the green lights anyways!! I think you bought them all! Lol

I wish TOM would make more rods with the leds installed. Not sure why they won’t or don’t make more. Can’t be that complicated.

Oh they are really out of the 316G, wow. Either there is a giant market for Fishing Lights or my tip was taken up by some people (ok i admit i only came to it because of Tomens Facebook Post, otherwise i probably would have never come up to trying it myself)...

I think the problem for Tomen would possibly be the making of the metal rods. I can't confirm this but I'm suspecting that the rod has a slightly bigger inner diameter to fit the lights better or the lights are slightly different, as i said i can't confirm only speculate at this point. A few posts earlier i mentioned i was in contact with Tomenosuke because of something else regarding my Blaster. It has to do with the quality of my grips and that they are misshaped. Tomen agreed to make new ones for me at no charge, but since they can't make single castings they had to make 12 pairs of the grips. These 12 Grips already is a third of the price of the Blaster. If the making of the grips is that expensive for a relativly small company i can imagine that casting new rods could be more expensive than we all suspect. After all single rods made by others are up to 90$. Anyway I'm glad my post and research may help a few people out there. And just another tip: If any of you wants to try you can search for Fishing lights on Amazon. I found similar like the ones offered by HLJ on Amazon Germany at a similar price they are called cr311 (available with or without LED's). I don't know if they are available in other countries, but at the moment this seems like a good options for the people who did not have the chance to snatch one of the Tomen released rods. Most important is the overall diameter of 3mm of the fishing lights. Length can be an issue because if they are too long they will be harder to get into the rod. If anyone tries and eventually finds better fitting ones, you can post that here.

Cheers,

Spikeyfied

FWIW, here’s how I wired up my stock Tomen. I used the stock green LEDs that came with the replica.

I unscrewed the black metal sight rod and fed 4 VERY thin 30AWG wires through the open hole in the back of the sight rod. It’s a very tight space but it can be done, one side at at time. Then I ran the wires to a second CR2032 battery. The lights seemed to short out if I ran them all off of the same battery, but it worked if I kept the red and green lights powered separately.

I picked up the “click” activated lights, but they looked too big. I wanted to keep the green lights stock. I found good back up green LEDs, in case I needed to replace them... they were size 3.0-3.2V/3mm green/yellow lights. I added a bunch of pics and a crude diagram, if it helps. Good luck!

2-IMG-7360.jpg

2-5-IMG-7297.jpg

3-IMG-7294.jpg

4-IMG-7300.jpg

5-IMG-7326.jpg

6-IMG-7332-wires.jpg

7-IMG-7335.jpg

8-wire.jpg

9-leds.jpg

Last edited:
Overall a nice job.

A few suggestions though: The green LEDs are sticking out a little too far. They also need to be dimmed and given a blue tint as well.

The modern green LEDs are the wrong color and are much brighter than the LEDs of the time. This might be achieved by adding a blue gel around the LEDs or possibly painting them with a clear blue tint.

The other solution is to find the older style LEDs and replace the ones you are currently using.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! Will tap the LEDs in a little further. Will have to research the types of LEDs that were available in the early 80s. I'm happy with these for now, but it would be cool to have the lights 100% movie accurate.

I wanted to let you guys know I've really appreciated this thread, as I had been hoping to get my customized 2049 Tomenosuke Movie Edition's sight rod LEDs going for quite a while now.

I ended up ordering 2 packs of the MiLight 316g LED / Batteries online after seeing the thread a few months back. Had I been able to do a decent enough job squeezing the bottom area of the batteries correctly, I'm sure they would have fit just fine but my skills were apparently not up to par, unfortunately. I also kinda had a tough time getting one of the MiLights to cut off when I was done with the blaster and wanted to put it away without the LED continuing to stay powered for some reason; I figure it had to have something to do with how roughly I handled trying to get the batteries to fit the sight rod, lol. Definitely some kind of short, for sure. I ended up putting the stock unlit LEDs back in and kinda gave up for a bit on doing this at all.

For some reason, though, the issue kept popping up in my mind; it just irked me I wasn't able to get this solved with such a great solution provided and available here online. And I really wanted to see the green LEDs illuminated, lol. So I started searching AliExpress for the same type of small fishing lure LEDs, and found some even smaller ones (meaning even smaller batteries on them) that I thought might could work) that come with fully removable LED's (as in once you're done handling the blaster, you just pull the LEDs from their batteries and store them until the next time you want to use them) which would solve my shorting out issue. Plus, these things were dirt cheap: $2.11 USD for a two-pack (plus $3.49 USD for 15-day shipping from China to the USA). I ended up ordering a couple 2-packs of these, and thankfully when they came in they ended up fitting quite a bit easier than the 316g's did (for me and my unskilled hands anyways, lol). They're not perfect, though,; I'd love to be able to get them in just a bit farther into the sight rod but I'm wary of shorting another one out after the first time. Just search for "2 PCS 5g DLYFULL Electronic Night Stick Set LED Light" and I believe it should come up in the search results on AE. They come with CR311 batteries, by the way.

Attachments

• 20240104_222042.jpg
    20240104_222042.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
I wanted to let you guys know I've really appreciated this thread, as I had been hoping to get my customized 2049 Tomenosuke Movie Edition's sight rod LEDs going for quite a while now.

I ended up ordering 2 packs of the MiLight 316g LED / Batteries online after seeing the thread a few months back. Had I been able to do a decent enough job squeezing the bottom area of the batteries correctly, I'm sure they would have fit just fine but my skills were apparently not up to par, unfortunately. I also kinda had a tough time getting one of the MiLights to cut off when I was done with the blaster and wanted to put it away without the LED continuing to stay powered for some reason; I figure it had to have something to do with how roughly I handled trying to get the batteries to fit the sight rod, lol. Definitely some kind of short, for sure. I ended up putting the stock unlit LEDs back in and kinda gave up for a bit on doing this at all.

For some reason, though, the issue kept popping up in my mind; it just irked me I wasn't able to get this solved with such a great solution provided and available here online. And I really wanted to see the green LEDs illuminated, lol. So I started searching AliExpress for the same type of small fishing lure LEDs, and found some even smaller ones (meaning even smaller batteries on them) that I thought might could work) that come with fully removable LED's (as in once you're done handling the blaster, you just pull the LEDs from their batteries and store them until the next time you want to use them) which would solve my shorting out issue. Plus, these things were dirt cheap: $2.11 USD for a two-pack (plus $3.49 USD for 15-day shipping from China to the USA). I ended up ordering a couple 2-packs of these, and thankfully when they came in they ended up fitting quite a bit easier than the 316g's did (for me and my unskilled hands anyways, lol). They're not perfect, though,; I'd love to be able to get them in just a bit farther into the sight rod but I'm wary of shorting another one out after the first time. Just search for "2 PCS 5g DLYFULL Electronic Night Stick Set LED Light" and I believe it should come up in the search results on AE. They come with CR311 batteries, by the way.

Wow thank you for the input and information. I ordered the same (yet different) lights from amazon, but since you said that the one's from AliExpress fit slightly better i might reconsider ordering some of them again (maybe even in a different color) yet the search option on AliExpress is pretty broken i only managed to search them via google with your input rerouting me to AliExpress. That is one thing i love the RPF for, someone finds out things month after and sparks some new passion. Thank you for that, i'll keep y'all updated on how the ones from AliExpress turned out on my blaster. And I'm glad that my thread let to you getting the lights how you wanted them. But still i do not think you should put them to deep into the sight rod (i made that mistake and barely managed to get mine out without piercing the battery )

Cheers

Spikeyfied

Wow thank you for the input and information. I ordered the same (yet different) lights from amazon, but since you said that the one's from AliExpress fit slightly better i might reconsider ordering some of them again (maybe even in a different color) yet the search option on AliExpress is pretty broken i only managed to search them via google with your input rerouting me to AliExpress. That is one thing i love the RPF for, someone finds out things month after and sparks some new passion. Thank you for that, i'll keep y'all updated on how the ones from AliExpress turned out on my blaster. And I'm glad that my thread let to you getting the lights how you wanted them. But still i do not think you should put them to deep into the sight rod (i made that mistake and barely managed to get mine out without piercing the battery )

Cheers

Spikeyfied
Yeah, man no I very much appreciate your posting the thread to begin with; I was seriously at a loss as to how to get the green sight rod LEDs lit after missing the Tomen rod run last year (or year before; can't remember for sure, lol) and still really hoping to avoid doing it using wire + battery in the mag casing as I didn't really want to deal with any possibly exposed wiring. But your solution works great, for real. I'll try to post some pics of mine with them installed soon. And I think you're right; too much insertion into the sight rod really does run the risk of damaging the tiny batteries inside these things without a doubt. I'll probably leave mine as is, even if they're not quite as deeply in there as I'd like them to be. Much better than them still being unlit for sure!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back