The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

What I usually do is to drag it to the left or upwards so that it stays off the card area. If you drag it right or down it just creates a new card.

But that's not what I want to do. I want to delete a part. I need to measure one part but moving the part in 2D won't work so the best way for me to do that is to flat out delete the part in the way.

But that's not what I want to do. I want to delete a part. I need to measure one part but moving the part in 2D won't work so the best way for me to do that is to flat out delete the part in the way.

It depends on the part makeup and how it interacts with its surrounding pieces. Post a screencap and we'll have a better idea of the problem.

FAQ and search didn't lead to answer. Are they fast and card rules about reference pictures? E.g. Only external image link, or internal ok with external, or fair use copyright?

FAQ and search didn't lead to answer. Are they fast and card rules about reference pictures? E.g. Only external image link, or internal ok with external, or fair use copyright?

Pretty easy-going around here, I would credit the source just to be safe, especially if they are reference pics of something made by an individual and not a major manufacturer or studio.

Side note but as important- A lot of people also post reference pictures but they don't say how or where they found it, and that causes other problems. Someone will post a reference picture of a Stormtrooper blaster or Mortal Kombat character that they are looking for without realizing that there that there are several unique versions of each, or they will just post a picture of an armor and assume everyone knows what it is or where it's from. We don't always know, gotta tell us or we can't help. :thumbsup

Hey guys, which is better: building a helmet in one piece and cutting off the parts needed to be cut then fixing the seams with bondo or building a helmet as 3 separate pieces and adding supports to each? What are the pros and cons of each method and which one do you recommend?

Always build as one then cut and fix the seam. Doing the other way around will only create problems for you and warped parts!

There arr no pros to building in parts, only cons! :)

this question may have been asked but is there a way to separate faces in pepakura designer 4 that are not part of a fold? i.e. i am trying to make a war axe but the handle is to long to fit on 8.5x11 sheets of cardstock, can i break it down into 3 sheets? the join/disjoin face tool wont let me separate it as necessary

Another question, how do you go about assembling and attaching the ear pieces if the pep file has 'em like this?

Untitled2.png

Last edited:
Is it possible to use clay on a pepakura helmet from hard paper (or whatever it's called)? Will the pepakura hold or will it get destroyed from the weight,water etc.? I'm planning on using a small amount just so I can get the details and dimensions right and then I'll continue the sculpting without it.

Is it possible to use clay on a pepakura helmet from hard paper (or whatever it's called)? Will the pepakura hold or will it get destroyed from the weight,water etc.? I'm planning on using a small amount just so I can get the details and dimensions right and then I'll continue the sculpting without it.

If you coat it in resin and fiberglass the inside you shouldn't have any problem. Great idea by the way!

Second what OK said, that's what I have done. One coat inside and out will give you a good sturdy base to work with as long as you don't beat on it, and those two coats will soak in and prevent your paper from pulling moisture from the clay depending on what you use. I've even used speed-set drywall compound (the powder kind you mix with water) to build up areas over a fiberglassed base the same way because it sands so easily and is cheap. That was done on a base that was molded though, compound gets heavy :)

Another question, how do you go about assembling and attaching the ear pieces if the pep file has 'em like this?

View attachment 656558

I was pretty confused with this particular model, as well. I wound up assembling the ear separately, and fed the tabs on the upper part of the ear through the slit in the side of the head and glued them to the interior of the helmet, and then wrapped the bottom ear tabs underneath the helmet and glued them to the trim. I'm sorry if that didn't make any sense, but that's the best way I can think to word it. It definitely required some tweaking, though, as it wasn't apparent to me what the intended form of assembly was. If all else fails, you could trim off all of the tabs of the ear and just glue it directly to the helmet. Hope this helps!

Second what OK said, that's what I have done. One coat inside and out will give you a good sturdy base to work with as long as you don't beat on it, and those two coats will soak in and prevent your paper from pulling moisture from the clay depending on what you use. I've even used speed-set drywall compound (the powder kind you mix with water) to build up areas over a fiberglassed base the same way because it sands so easily and is cheap. That was done on a base that was molded though, compound gets heavy :)

Ok guys, thanks for the help!

jonnytrooper Same! I thought about filling the ear pieces up with resin at first but I really want the extra space around the ear section. I think it will make for a comfy form-fitting helmet. I modified the earpieces then made pencil marks on the side of the helm where the earpieces are supposed to go. I'll cut that area out, then glue in the modified earpieces so I get a little more space on the sides. I'm just not sure if I should glue the ear on before or after the resin/fiberglass. Thanks for the input, though!
IMG_4046.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
recklessjes That's genius! I wish I would've thought of that. My helmet fits well, but I definitely could've used that little extra space for the ears. Make sure to post pics when you're done! I'm actually still working on this one, myself.

jonnytrooper thanks, I'm still working on a Mark 42 gauntlet as of late (yep, I'm working on two projects simultaneously). If you don't mind me asking, do you have a build thread for your helmet? Once I start working on my helmet you'd be the first to know :lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back