The official Cosplaysky's AOU Captain America Costume

I hate the gauntlets that came with the suit, so how is everyone getting around them? Fingerless gloves are easy, but the forearm component looks a bit challenging. I thought about the Foam Cave's pattern, but I figure carrying the shield around at Comic-Con will thoroughly wreck them...

Last edited:
I hate the gauntlets that came with the suit, so how is everyone getting around them? Fingerless gloves are easy, but the forearm component looks a bit challenging. I thought about the Foam Cave's pattern, but I figure carrying the shield around at Comic-Con will thoroughly wreck them...

Interested to see what others do as well. My solution was to take the Foam Cave's pattern and make the gauntlets with padded leather instead of foam, still working on them though.

I just ordered some canvas fabric and nylon strapping to make the gauntlets. Might try using the foam cave pattern as a template of sorts.

Interested to see what others do as well. My solution was to take the Foam Cave's pattern and make the gauntlets with padded leather instead of foam, still working on them though.

Same here. I'd like to use the Foam Cave's pattern as they will be a lot easier than trying to build the gauntlets from scratch, but I share jackoshadow's fear about the shield obliterating the foam after a while. Is there any way to protect against this?

Great build by the way!! The AoU suit is by far my favourite iteration of the Captain America costume; the military combat gear-type look is a lot better than the Power Rangers feel of the Avengers Assemble suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you guys think this suit is okay to send to the dry cleaners? Or is there a different cleaning method that should be used?

I wouldn't, unless you have a really good relationship with your dry cleaner and trust them not to screw anything up. If that is not the case, here's a method used by many theaters and opera houses to clean costumes without risk of damaging them (assuming you only need to deodorize/disinfect your suit and that it isn't literally "dirty"): vodka in a spray bottle.

Purchase some cheap vodka and put it in a spray bottle. Turn the garment inside out and liberally spray the entire thing. You do not want to soak it, but it should be enough that the mist doesn't just land on the surface. Then hang dry. The alcohol content will disinfect the garment, and the rest will deodorize it without leaving behind any unwanted scent. If you are skeptical (I was too) try it on an exercise shirt or something first, but I assure you that it works wonders.

Question for those who have gotten one. It looks like from the pictures that the top extends past the waist. Does it appear to be the intent that you tuck the top in? Or is it too bulky for that?

Question for those who have gotten one. It looks like from the pictures that the top extends past the waist. Does it appear to be the intent that you tuck the top in? Or is it too bulky for that?

These suits were meant to be worn with the jacket on the outside, but the waist length is a bit too long on these suits. I'm planning to trim the front of my jacket about 2". You could tuck it in but it'll likely be a pain to keep in place once you start moving around, plus the pants don't have anything to keep the belt in place.

I just ordered some canvas fabric and nylon strapping to make the gauntlets. Might try using the foam cave pattern as a template of sorts.

Someone definitely needs to put together a run of these gauntlets. Pannaus Props has a full suit INT thread going and is looking to sell the suit parts but I'd also like to see if anyone else decides to tackle this and offer it at reasonable cost.

Emblem mold came out great, pulled the first cast, came out great. Paint went on like crap. Used an old can of krylon since it was the only red I had on hand. Left a texture, didn't fully cure, and didn't fill the smallest crevices. Block sanded the painted cast anyway and it worked and looked just as I expected, which is a good thing. Just need to get some better paint and I'll have the emblems done (pics when I have one finished that is up to my standards).

Still thinking on the magnets, leaning towards doing my own. I prefer to control my own quality when I can.

Someone definitely needs to put together a run of these gauntlets. Pannaus Props has a full suit INT thread going and is looking to sell the suit parts but I'd also like to see if anyone else decides to tackle this and offer it at reasonable cost.

Im by no means an expert in costume/prop making but if mine turn out alright and people are interested I would consider making more. Probably be a couple weeks before Ill have anything made myself. I will update the thread as I go.

Last edited:
Has anyone upgraded the arm "magnets" yet and used the costume with a shield? I'm potentially worried about scratching up the back of my shield and the arm magnet pieces themselves. As silly as the soft good magnet shapes look, at least they're doing no potential harm.

Well I'm ready to pull the trigger on this. I ordered my Arrow one from them last year, custom, and the jacket was a bit short. I'm 5'10" 184 lbs with a 44" chest. From what I see I could get away with a standard large. Did ask them about a discount if I ordered them without the leather pieces...

Anyone else have issues with the arms on their costume. Mine looks great but it's like the arm pit sits too low or the trap section needs extended or something. Basically if I lift my arms the whole suit comes up. Not sure how easy of a fix this would be.

Last edited:
Anyone else have issues with the arms on their costume. Mine looks great but it's like the arm pit sits too low or the trap section needs extended or something. Basically if I lift my arms the while suit comes up. Not sure how easy of a fix this would be.

Same here. If I elevate my arms a little bit the whole suit starts coming up.

I have the same suit and I want to get rid of that 'shine' that it has. Someone had mentioned wiping the suit down with acetone. Would regular nail polish remover work since it has acetone in it? Has anyone else done this? Would really like to know what the results were like.

Dumb question but does anyone know what these metal hardware parts are called? I'd like to get some to use on my harness. Thanks in advance!

cap%20metal%20hw.png

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back