The official Cosplaysky's AOU Captain America Costume

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by kalkamel, Apr 27, 2015.

1. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Cosplaysky just released their AOU version of Cap's costume. Here are some pics from an Ebay auction (you can also find it on their website). Doesn't look half bad in my opinion. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  2. IndridColdx

IndridColdx Active Member

Re: Cosplaysky's AOU Captain America Costume

That looks incredible. With a bit of tweaking, this could be perfect

3. Clark HD

Clark HD Active Member

I bought this last week and have asked for certain pieces not to be attached. Looking forward to modding it

4. third3ye

third3ye Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've also placed an order for this last week, been waiting for this release ever since other people have posted favorable reviews on their TWS stealth suit. I've been sitting on a Rocketeer AoU helmet and a set of kingsley's TWS leather harness and belt for months now, just waiting for this suit's release. Some tailoring is already a given, based on other people's experiences with the stealth suit. I ordered a standard size so hopefully the waist sizing won't be as much an issue. The one area that's going to need major work are the gloves, but I already have some ideas on how to modify them. I'm also getting cast rubber pieces for the arm magnets to replace the fabric ones sewn onto the suit. I'm ok with most of the remaining suit as-is, at the end of the day I'm aiming for 95% screen accurate.

I'll be sure to share updates on my progress on this thread.

5. BPStoyle

BPStoyle New Member

I placed my order on Sunday, can't wait to see it in person.

6. bobafett669

bobafett669 Active Member

Suit itself doesn't look too bad. The gloves, boot covers, belt and harness look really bad though.Would really like to see some better pictures of the actual suit on someone.

7. abwchris

abwchris Active Member

Definitely plan on using this as my base once I receive it later this summer.

8. third3ye

My suit just came in at my office. For a base suit this is an excellent purchase :thumbsup It's quite nice for the price, surprisingly good quality and construction, but definitely could use some work in certain areas. The leather highlights are more gray in color than I'd like, probably should've been closer to black, but it's not a terrible departure from the movie suit. The Avengers logo is a bit cheap looking up close, if you can find a replacement I recommend doing so, but from a short distance they look fine. Btw if anyone is selling good quality Avengers shoulder logos, PM me please! Same with the arm magnets, they're just sewn on silver patches; I've ordered some plastic pieces to replace these. The fabric has a bit of a shine to it but it looks fine and not far off from the movie suit, I'm happy with it and not gonna try to remove the shine. The gaiters are actually nicer than I thought and don't require much work, my only worry is whether they'll fit over my Magnums but it looks like they have enough room.

As for sizing, I ordered the standard medium, will know how it fits later tonight when I get home. At first glance the jacket looks like it'll be a little fitted (a good thing) and pants look a bit big, but regardless I was planning to tailor the suit anyway. As expected, the gloves will need a good amount of work, and the sizing on these are small, bit of a tight fit on my hands which are already on the smaller side. I already have a pair of fingerless tactical gloves that I was planning to use with this and will be modifying the Cosplaysky gauntlets to fit over these gloves. I'm not even going to bother with the harness and belt as I already have my own set, but for those who care, they are pretty cheap looking; I recommend replacing them.

I'll take some pics later tonight, but early assessment to those who are looking for a AoU base suit, this definitely will not disappoint.

9. Luke0312

Luke0312 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the review. :thumbsup

About what I was expecting based on the stealth suit reviews, which is a good thing!

kalkamel, what if you changed the title of this thread to "The official Cosplaysky's AOU Captain America Costume" Try to keep most info about the suit in this one thread, to make discussion and finding info on it easier, just like the thread for the stealth suit?

10. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

11. Luke0312

Good deal, hopefully this one takes off like the stealth thread.

My suit should be here in another week or two.

12. STLAssassin

STLAssassin Active Member

Look forward to the pics. Ive been thinking of getting the custom sized version of this suit myself but was hoping to see some feedback first. Like you the leather work I planned to do myself so my main concern is the suit itself.

13. third3ye

Regarding the gray faux leather parts, I was actually thinking of applying black shoe polish to darken them, that may be an easy fix for that.

EDIT: Just did some quick research and another option is to use acrylic paint, I might just do that instead. Not sure if shoe polish will permanently make the pleather black, guessing it'll just rub off.

14. third3ye

Ok, I tried on the costume and to my delightful surprise, it actually fits pretty darn well! One caveat though, like what the stealth suit customers experienced, the top is nearly impossible to put on by yourself; you need someone to zip it up from the back. So I wasn't able to put the jacket on properly (best I could do was zip it halfway up) but I tried putting it on backwards and was able to zip it up, just to see if it's too small or not. I can lose about an inch off the pants' waist and there's a tiny bit of room to tighten the jacket around the torso to achieve a better v-shape, but other than not much else to tailor, the fit turned out really nice on me. The shoulders definitely need some padding. Length was absolutely perfect on both jacket and pants, I'm 5'11 flat btw. Again I ordered the standard size M, so can't comment on custom measurements. I tried the gaiters on my Magnum boots and they fit fine (pic below).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mrchezem likes this.
  15. grey matter

grey matter Active Member

Thanks for the pics! I have a couple questions for you if you have time.

Can you post some close ups of the A logo and the arm metal latch part?

Can you post a close up of the two diagonal smaller "leather" patch on the screen right, your left leg? (can't tell in the photo, but it looks like the edges have something going on with them)

What are your thoughts on the red, is it a good red, is it verging on burgundy, does it match the red we are all using on our shields?

I have the same boots and those gaiters look pretty * good, so that makes me excited!

16. abwchris

abwchris Active Member

Interesting that they let you do this. I had emailed them about it but they said they only sell it as a whole? Were they able to come down in price at all?

17. Clark HD

Clark HD Active Member

I went through ebay, cosarcade was the seller same one I used for my stealth suit it is the exact same suit as sold on cosplaysky. I didn't hjave a price reduction this time round but last time I did.

18. Danakin

Danakin Well-Known Member

Is the blue really that dark or is it the lighting in your photos? It looks completely different in color compared to their stock photos.

19. jschlosser

jschlosser Well-Known Member

looks really nice, might wan to pick this up..

hope someones put some photos of them self up wearing it.

20. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Looking at the pics, I'm guessing its the same dark blue they used for the Stealth uniform.

21. third3ye

See below for the pics you requested. The leather strips on the pants weren't cut very well, that's probably what you're seeing. The red is a darker red, so probably won't match the shield's red which is normally brighter, but it looks pretty darn close to the movie suit. My only real color match complaint with this suit is the pleather highlights aren't as dark as they should be, I'll be painting them charcoal gray at a later date.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  22. third3ye

Here's a few pics of me wearing the base suit w/o any tailoring and nothing to hold up the pants. This is a standard size medium.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can easily take an inch or so off the jacket and pants waist, and also tighten it around the ribs. The sleeves are already tight around my arms, and the sleeve length is a bit short but with the gauntlets on it won't matter. The jacket shoulders are too narrow and wasn't made with broad shoulders in mind. To broaden the shoulders I'm going to have the tailor let the shoulders out and sew in 1" foam inserts.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  23. SMP Designs

SMP Designs Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's a pic of the resin ones I made for the AoU suit I built. I pour them and then shape them so hey are curved. They are not made to be sewn into the suit, but glued on the outside. PM me if you'd like a set. I can pour and send them unpainted.

A-10.jpg

meaganoff and robk like this.
  24. Luke0312

What's the size on the Avengers emblem? Also, any shots from the screen used suit?

I can wait for mine to arrive, but would like to get started on replacement parts ASAP.

I did some emblems a couple of years ago using a method that would perfect for this. Cold cast aluminum, only required spraying the color, then block sanding to a brushed finished. Would work and look great on the suit.

25. third3ye

Here's a good ref shot:
    [​IMG]

I'll get you the size of the CosplaySky emblem when I'm back in town. Off the top of my head it's around 1.5" diameter. If you can make a few sets of these in aluminum and painted, I'd be very interested in a set.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  26. abwchris

abwchris Active Member

Just picked one of these up, cannot wait for it to get here. Need to do some research on the harnesses and look into making them functional with my shield. Need to finally get around to making that helmet too.

For those interested in ordering from CosplaySky I remembered I have a 15% off code that apparently still works. PM me if you want it :)

27. Luke0312

Thanks for the shot, very helpful.

I actually was thinking it looked a bit different. That looks more like a convex aluminum piece, with some of it anodized. That's something I can't do unfortunately. What I had in mind was more of a 3D piece. It will be very nice and clean, but different.

28. jackoshadow

jackoshadow New Member

Awesome pictures, I've got my suit being delivered on Friday. What did you use for the shoulder harness and gauntlets? And you mentioned padding the shoulders, are you sewing in pads, or wearing something like an underarmour football padded shirt?

29. BPStoyle

BPStoyle New Member

Has anyone else been having communication issues with Cospaysky? I ordered mine April 26 and I still haven't gotten any shipping information.

30. Luke0312

I messaged them just this morning, I ordered mine on May the 11th. Here's the response:
    Dears,Thanks for your email.I have checked your order.It is in processing now.Because the procedures of your costume are complex so that you may receive it a little later.Thanks for your kindness and your patience.
    Many thanks.
    Isa​

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  31. BPStoyle

BPStoyle New Member

That's about the level of vagueness I've been receiving from them for the most part. Though I had been told at one point it would ship on the 22nd any I'd receive a tracking number (which I still haven't as of the 26th), and then was told they would try to ship it out even sooner than that, but not having heard specific details, it makes me wary.

32. Luke0312

I'm not concerned over losing any money in the deal, because I know I won't. I just don't want it to stretch out to where I don't have everything ready by August. I don't think that will happen though.

33. abwchris

abwchris Active Member

Yeah, other than some minor issues with a couple pieces CosplaySky has always been pretty good when it comes to cheaper Chinese costume shops. I think they had a similar issue last year with their 12th Doctor coats where a rush of orders came in when the coat was released and it took them a couple weeks longer to fulfill orders.

Basically I am gathering and making as many of the replacement pieces as possible before the suit is here so that way even if it takes two months to get here I can have it finished a few days after it arrives so it's ready for the rush of conventions I have in August.

34. third3ye

The Cosplaysky one measures 1 3/8 inches btw. I wasn't looking for an exact match, if what you had in mind was a metal cast piece with raised logo and painted red, I'm totally on board with that. I'll PM you to discuss.

35. third3ye

I was originally gonna just cut out foam and sew those in but I do have a bunch of spare CE armor inserts lying around, so might give those a try first. The fabric on the jacket isn't that flexible, which limits how much bulk you can add with foam. For the harness and belt I have a set from kingsley, for the gauntlets I was going to modify the ones that came with the suit.

My suit was delayed for about a week but I did get tracking info when they shipped it out. They responded to my inquiry within 48 hours when I was asking for an update and gave me a rough ETA, no complaints about their communication from me.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  36. Clark HD

Clark HD Active Member

My suit arrived on Monday after being shipped Friday. Express shipping and tracking included, the suit took around a 3 1/2 weeks to arrive from order which is standard for cosplaysky to the UK really if the suit is not in stock which is the case with these at the moment. Communication was excellent with fast responses.

I plan on heavily modifying this suit so look out for my thread as there's a lot of work to be done but a great base suit.

new suit.jpg new suit back.jpg

37. Clark HD

Clark HD Active Member

The boot covers and the longer length of the jacket really surprised me very nice.

38. Luke0312

What size did you go with and what is your height/weight?

Height wise I need an XL, chest size L, waist size M... so I went with the L, figured that would allow a bit more room for padding in the shoulders and can take in the waist some.

39. abwchris

abwchris Active Member

With the test fitting can you tell exactly what needs to be done to the base suit beyond bringing it in and replacing some of the decals/straps?

40. third3ye

Looking at Clark HD's pics and from my own experience, the shoulders are definitely too narrow on these jackets, they need to be let out more. Chest star also needs to be actually re-centered, seems like they can't get this right.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  41. Clark HD

Clark HD Active Member

I'm 5ft 11" my weight is around 168 pounds or 12 stone.

I don't intend to take the suit in anywhere as at the moment I'm on a 3000 cal a day diet so expect to put mass on in places in particularly my chest.

Below is a list of what I intend to do to the suit i'm still debating whether to hit it with acetone to remove the shine of the material.

1. The shoulder detailing and thigh detailing will be cast in navy rubber like the movie suit.

2. Red rubber chest arrows

3. New gloves

4. I will be re 3d printing the magnets from my previous suit

5. Attaching the 3D printed knees

6. Complete new harness and belt from real leather

7. Metal pieces for said leather

8. 3d printed buckle

9. Magnet system for the shield to attach to my back

10. Paint my new shield as the one in the photo is being sold

11. Paint and complete my maufett helmet

12. Suit weathering

13. Casting of the avengers logo for the shoulders

I've already started attaching the new knees.

knee 2.jpg knee.jpg

knee 2.jpg

knee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  42. Luke0312

I got the parts for the emblem cut yesterday, cut further today and assembled. 5 pieces, within 1-3/8"... so small and tedious. So far so good though, very clean and tight lines. I'm going to fill the seams on it tomorrow, smooth, and prime, hopefully have it ready for molding. Going to need to mold it under pressure, the gaps are so small at the arrow on the A, I don't believe the silicone would fully fill in around it under atmospheric pressure. It might not be necessary to cast under pressure though, just need to experiment with that.

third3ye likes this.
  43. jackoshadow

jackoshadow New Member

Just got my Cosplaysky suit, too. I'm really amazed at how good it is, compared to the Cap Avengers version they had last year. And likewise, some work to do yet, but it's a decent looking start!

Cap 2.jpg Cap 1.jpg

Luke, what were you replacing the elbows and knees with, exactly?

Attached Files:

44. mrchezem

mrchezem New Member

This suit looks like a real winner so far. All the photos look good. What size did you order? And how tall are you?

45. jackoshadow

jackoshadow New Member

I ordered the medium, and am 5'10, 186 or so. The pants fit closely, and the jacket does too, although I may get the seam under the armpit cleaned up as it seems to bunch. Also, the movie suit's top doesn't seem to come down as far in the front as this one's does. When you add the belt, the jacket extends lower, which looks funny, so I'll probably get it modified to be a bit shorter in the front. The other thing that I don't like is that the elbow and knee "pads" are just that, stuffed with padding. Makes it a little tough to bend, so I may do like Luke is planning, and pull the padding and replace with a more appropriate hard pad. Overall, I was really impressed, though. Got Kingsley doing leathers, and once I get a better version of gauntlet/glove done, I'll be pleased to wander Comic-Con in this...

46. The Full Armor

The Full Armor Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's not the greatest thing in the world, but with the right modifications, it could be a great costume.

47. Luke0312

That's Clark HD who is working on the elbows and knees. I'm currently only working on the Avengers logo (until I have my suit in front of me, I can't tackle larger parts due to fitting them precisely).

Speaking of the logo, I've got the seams filled, but didn't have time to clean it up. Got started giving the shop a thorough cleaning the other day since I've got some projects coming in and it was a wreck/filthy. When I was finally finished 10 hours later, I just wanted to lie in the floor...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  48. jackoshadow

jackoshadow New Member

Ah, sorry for the misquote then! In my euphoria over the suit, my brain is short circuiting....

49. VinXero

VinXero Active Member

How is the size? Did anyone do a custom size or a general?

What size tee are you usually and what size did you order? Is it snug or room to grow?

I am an XL tee and was going to order XL (to save $50) or just do a custom fit. (stealth suit)

50. BPStoyle

BPStoyle New Member

My suit came in yesterday!

I bought the standard XL. I'm just shy of 6'0 and about 235 and it fit pretty well. Jacket was a bit snug but it fit. Impossible to put on by myself (even tried putting a lanyard on the zipper to pull up from the front; alas it did not work).

2015-06-01 21.05.20.jpg 2015-06-01 21.07.47-1.jpg 2015-06-01 21.08.05.jpg