The Official Avatar Colonel Miles Quaritch "Wasp" Pistol Research Thread

Re: The Official Avatar Colonel Miles Quaritch Pistol Research Thread

I watched the video of Cameron firing the gun. He is a movie director. Have you fired a .357 Magnum? Or a .38? Heck, I owned a Beretta 9mm (U.S. Army Issue-type) that kicked just like that (due to heavy top slide and no muzzle brake)... and the 9mm round is pretty light. AND, I was trained by the U.S. Army in Small-Bore and Large-Bore Rifles, and the P-99 pistol. I rated expert in all 3. That said, the prop kicks... a lot.

I own a Ruger GP-100, and it has mild recoil, even with +P ammo. It's a heavy gun. Much heavier than a smith and wesson or a colt chambered in 357.

But this is beside the point since blank rounds don't cause any recoil.

Yes, he is a movie director, but by all accounts he's a gun owner and has fired live ammo many, many times.

We have no idea the context of the clip. I still think he was just trying to show someone how to imitate recoil when you fire blanks while they were standing around goofing off with a cool prop gun.

Dan Wesson PPC has the right cylinder and odd barrel... though, a bit long.

Click the images below.

I think they removed the original top scope mount (swapped for a ten-notch picatinny rail), shortened it, and put a laminate for brand covering (and re-branding) and adding a non-functioning swivel for the Webley-styled pistol.

Chew on these images...

"You're assuming of course that the practical firing model was in fact a real break open design, and NOT a fully enclosed clamshell similar to the Battlestar Galactica (new) season 1 pistols." from Rook 3.

You're right, I have no idea. And you're right that it could just be a clamshell. I'm just going off their "concept art" and info on the "gun" that they released.

And what I meant on the terms was that they called the cylinder a magazine (which is sorta plausible being that it can be exchanged for a fresh and fully loaded one) and then they call the action an auto rotating "barrel" when I think they meant cylinder. But maybe the actual barrel actually rotates as the bullet goes down the barrel, engaging the rifling to apply spin to stabilize the projectile but also as the bullet is traveling the barrel's rifling, it's imparting a rotational torque to the barrel which in turn rotates and indexs the cylinder for the next shot.

Wow, WC that's really close! Maybe they had a 4 or 5 inch version. The clamshell would have to come off each time they wanted to load it though as the clamshell would keep the cylinder from swinging out. But hey that's the closest real world gun I think that anyones come up with. Maybe the two picatinny rails hold the clamshell shrouds together?

Last edited:
Dan Wesson PPC has the right cylinder and odd barrel... though, a bit long.

Click the images below.

I think they removed the original top scope mount (swapped for a ten-notch picatinny rail), shortened it, and put a laminate for brand covering (and re-branding) and adding a non-functioning swivel for the Webley-styled pistol.

Chew on these images...

I mentioned earlier in the thread it kind of looked like a PPC.

Sorry Spike. Lots of googling, modeling, and posting... I totally missed it. Did you mention the tri-gun? Too tired (or lazy) to read 5 pages of posts again.

But Spike... I believe you are right, it is the base gun. Cameron just went to Dan Wesson, said "I like your gun" then thrust his chrome spike of an arm into Dan, assimilated his data, and killed him!!!! <-- I bet it was probably just a visit, and Wesson probably said... sure.

They just made a high-heat sleeve for the barrel that hides the branding, connection points for the scope and laser rail, added the thumb groove aft of the cylinder, added a weird-wonky dial where the hammer "should" be, and a simulated forward pivoting set of discs to imply it opens like a flare pistol.

I looked at the good photo of the WASP, got it angled right, showed the Picatinny rail (with 10 segments, just like the top one on the WASP), and put the best pic I could find of the PPC.

Frankly, the scope on top could be made as a red-dot scope with a elevation and windage controlled with those two giant screw-adjusters on the left side. AND, if it is a short PPC, this could be made as a practical prop. Their are guys making real pulse rifles now. Look... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HufACX1GepM

Imagine being at the gun range with a WASP? Just show up in digi-camo, shaved head, and start rocking .357 rounds.

0833755.jpeg

And just leave after shooting 6 rounds**. People would be "Wholly S***! Did you see that guy?"

But, as a prop, it still would be cool... even if dead-weight resin.

Heck, if Cameron was smart(er) than Lucas, he would make a 1:1 high-quality, low-to-moderate priced optioned toy of this gun. Just like Star Trek released a great trio of toys... chromed Phaser, communicator, and Tricorder.

Props to Spike!!!

John

** likely, it has to be taken apart - partially - to reload.

Last edited:
I'm still not totally sold on the idea that the break-two design is completely cosmetic. It would make sense, given that the gun is never reloaded on-screen in the film, but it just feels like far too much time and thought went into the design and conception of the weapon for it to just have parts applied to it for cosmetics. It dosen't have that look to it.

A PPC is just the only thing beefy enough to be a close match.

There is a lot of cosmetic action happening. It would almost be easier to take an auto, and add a fake cylinder... but then you have a problem with the blow-back of the slide.

Oh well... WETA, please tell us what you used???? Thanks!

John

And, I think they skinned it in high temperature-resistant plastic... totally custom grip, and where is the hammer? I see the dial...

Scenario...
- They got a Dan Wesson 4" barrel option pistol.
- Laser-scanned it. As to build from the inside out... precisely.
- Diameter of front, non-turning cylinder extension matched precisely.
-- I would have made the cuts above and below the short cylinder.
to get it looking less like a decoration.
-- AND, it does not matter, WETA got the job.
- Cut hammer thumb-tab (does it need it anyway?). Just needs firing pin.
- Prop master opens cylinder and loads .357 blanks.
- Covers the loaded gun with all that stuff.
- Cameron says "Quatrich, ready on set. Prop Master, give him the WASP."
- Cameron says "Quiet on set."
- Cameron says "Action!"
- Girl at spherical HDD says "Unauthorized start-up of one of the Scorpions"
- Quatrich, in character, says "WTF?" and runs for the door, grabs pup.
- As he goes out, he yells "Masks on!"
- On deck, he dumps magazine of the bull-pup and throws it down.
- Takes left hand, unsnaps holster, right hand over waist-grab of WASP...
- Fires four rounds, waits a second, targets in, then fires two more.
- Q is handed an 02 mask, sound effects of seal. Turns away from camera...
- Cameron yells "Cut!" and says... "We got it. One shot. Great work."
- And the WASP is archived. A resin stunt is used for all other scenes.

And here we are now. Who wants to buy a Sam Wesson PPC?

Might as well just build the cover for a real gun, and amaze everyone at the gun-range! HAHAHA!!!

The gun has a short bit of on-screen time. But this would be the first that I would like to have... real or resin.

I'm betting on the Dan Wesson. The modularity of that platform lends itself to extensive modification.

I googled "auto-rotating barrel" to see if I could find a gun that uses that type of action in the real world. Guess what, some Nerf like gun does. Here's the link if you're interested, you have to go down the page a little, it's listed on the Marshmallow Mforcer. It uses air pressure to turn the "barrel". Although the actual "barrel" doesn't really rotate, it's the "cylindrical ammo holder" that does. But I guess that the action type is real at least for a toy gun. Well, maybe if you consider the extended chambers as barrels which just might be what they're doing.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...mages?q=auto-rotating+barrel&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=G

WC: that's a good write up, post # 116. And you're right, it wouldn't need the hammer spur if it was a double action revolver.

Thanks SSB, for all the cool screen grabs.

Last edited:
Good stuff. The first time I saw the movie, and saw that gun in the holster before he took it out, I was hoping it would be something gnarly, like this. :)

Andy

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back