The Mandalorian (TV series)

We do a weekly Star Wars countdown to Christmas. I decided I wanted to throw the Mandalorian in after we did ESB and RTOJ last weekend. Mainly because I can't wait anymore!

I was so happy to finally get to see these 6 eps and loved it all. There were a couple of nitpicky things that didn't work for me, but not like Discovery level stuff universe destroying issues.

What a great fun series, even if it's getting a little predictable in where it's headed.

A few fun characters from the past! Some neat little surprises. A few Holy crap moments. A few well deserved explanations!

This is just good Star Wars for me right now.

And the best part is that it has an over all multi season arc, while each episode gets to the point.

Good stuff so far!

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but after we watched this, I asked my nephew "Isn't it odd that the Empire has tiny toddler shackles?" I mean yeah they're evil, but I doubt they were ever arresting little kids so unless these are special shackles for Force users, Grogu (sp?) specifically, I wouldn't think they'd have these just laying around.

I started laughing my ass off when the tiny shackles were revealed. I know it was supposed to be dramatic, but it just looked adorable.

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but after we watched this, I asked my nephew "Isn't it odd that the Empire has tiny toddler shackles?" I mean yeah they're evil, but I doubt they were ever arresting little kids so unless these are special shackles for Force users, Grogu (sp?) specifically, I wouldn't think they'd have these just laying around.
It would not shock me if Gideon had them made after the showdown on Navarro.

It’s literally probably much safer in Star Wars to be wearing anything but stormtrooper armor. I get it that people make the excuse that “the armor is rated against civilian blasters”, because a fascistic government wouldn’t use the best stuff for their military to have absolute force, and clearly weaker “civilian” blasters don’t exist, and repeatedly I’ve seen stuff mention Han’s “illegally modified blaster” which makes it a lot more powerful, but any set of armor that breaks when a blunt object strikes it? Trash. It is not worth wearing if it splinters at the first sign of blunt force. That armor cannot serve any purpose. I agree that it looks cool and cinematic to see the little chunks of armor go spinning when the armorer or Fett strikes them, but it really makes the armor look so useless.
So you're saying that ceramic plates in body armor suck then because they'd almost certainly shatter if hit hard enough with a blunt object it will crack and shatter too. Hell, I've heard that if you dropped a ceramic plate there's a good chance that it will break.

Not everything is hard in the same way and some things resist certain forces better than others. Leather can takes cuts very well but doesn't do nearly as well against thrusts. Some metals used in machining are incredibly hard but at the same time are brittle and will crack or break if pressure is applied to them in the wrong way. That doesn't mean they suck, just that they're good for certain things and not others. So, just because we see Stormtrooper armor shatter and splinter when hit hard by a heavy object, one with a point on one end and something resembling a Medieval flanged mace with a spike on the other is going to do serious damage to anything it hits. Whatever Stormtrooper armor is made out of, it's clear and not unbelievable that it isn't very resistant to impacts from dedicated blunt trauma/damage melee weapons. I will grant you that I did find it ridiculous that it wasn't proof against stone tipped spears and arrows and, unless the Ewoks were as strong as Wookies, rocks thrown at them and in the hand shouldn't have bothered the Stormtroopers all that much.

So you're saying that ceramic plates in body armor suck then because they'd almost certainly shatter if hit hard enough with a blunt object it will crack and shatter too. Hell, I've heard that if you dropped a ceramic plate there's a good chance that it will break.

Not everything is hard in the same way and some things resist certain forces better than others. Leather can takes cuts very well but doesn't do nearly as well against thrusts. Some metals used in machining are incredibly hard but at the same time are brittle and will crack or break if pressure is applied to them in the wrong way. That doesn't mean they suck, just that they're good for certain things and not others. So, just because we see Stormtrooper armor shatter and splinter when hit hard by a heavy object, one with a point on one end and something resembling a Medieval flanged mace with a spike on the other is going to do serious damage to anything it hits. Whatever Stormtrooper armor is made out of, it's clear and not unbelievable that it isn't very resistant to impacts from dedicated blunt trauma/damage melee weapons. I will grant you that I did find it ridiculous that it wasn't proof against stone tipped spears and arrows and, unless the Ewoks were as strong as Wookies, rocks thrown at them and in the hand shouldn't have bothered the Stormtroopers all that much.
What I’m saying is I’d be hard pressed to tell you what it does protect against, because it clearly isn’t blaster fire, and it clearly isn’t blunt objects. Any specialized purpose they might have in-universe is non-existent according to what we’ve seen. Sure, I guess they could play the same part that a chest full of medals on a North Korea general does, but that seems a pretty flimsy excuse to outfit your entire military with the stuff.

The in-universe reason for the armor must be entirely psychological, both to intimidate enemies and to de-individuate the troopers and keep them feeling subservient to Imperial ideology, like some kind of cult. There's no plausible physical excuse for it at this point.

:lol::p

kit.JPG

The in-universe reason for the armor must be entirely psychological, both to intimidate enemies and to de-individuate the troopers and keep them feeling subservient to Imperial ideology, like some kind of cult. There's no plausible physical excuse for it at this point.
But wouldn’t it instantly become a symbol of ridicule rather than fear once it got out that the armor is less safe than wearing a suit made of mousetraps? Not to mention that stormtroopers are apparently so incompetent as to be more likely to take each other out, a la biker scouts from the Carl Weathers-directed episode?

If this is supposed to be the new Vader once again they failed.

He does not look cool or intimidating.

He acted at the end of this episode like a bully who was so weak he waited until his victim was exhausted and defenseless before he came in to harass him.

His outfit is silly.

He is about as impressive as dry toast.

Star Wars can't seem to get bad guys right which is funny as they had two of the greatest models in the OT.

He is definitely the weakest part of this series. I don't get why Disney just can't make a Star Wars villain. Lucas created some of the best villains ever. Thing is, the villains didn't think of themselves as villains. That's the main reason they worked. With the exception of maybe Palpatine, maybe.... all the bad guys are the ones who always believe the end justifies the means. This extends to Indiana Jones villains as well.

Esposito might as well be twirling his moustache. Like the awful First Order villains, he's completely unintimidating. He comes off as someone who just wants to be bad for the sake of being bad. Also, why couldn't they bother to make him a costume that fits? He looks laughably goofy everytime there's a long shot. Just because he's a shorter guy doesn't mean he has to look like a caricature. Ray Park isn't a tall guy, neither is Tem Morrison.

I love that Gideon comes across as just some dude. Like, he's got the cool armor and a dark saber, but we know that stuff isn't his and, when you look past it, he's got the energy of a middle manager with delusions of grandeur. Just right for someone executing a power grab among the rubble of the old Empire.

I love that Gideon comes across as just some dude. Like, he's got the cool armor and a dark saber, but we know that stuff isn't his and, when you look past it, he's got the energy of a middle manager with delusions of grandeur. Just right for someone executing a power grab among the rubble of the old Empire.
My theory was that he was stationed on some random ship on a useless mission during the Galactic Civil War, and decided to take over after Endor or Jakku but is playing it by ear, like he wants to take over everything that was left but lacks the clearance to access it all

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back