The Mandalorian (TV series)

Is Mandelorian available on DVD or Blu at all? I want to send a copy to my God children who are living outside the country with their parents at the moment... Thanks!

Ended in December, so even with the traditional movie timeframe, you'd be looking at april or so for DVD. I'd wager, those are more distant plans. TV shows generally put season 1 on disc until season 2 starts, which is october for the Mandalorian.

Plus, given D+'s smaller scope, i'm guessing they're going to keep it there only for the forceable future.

Get your god children a VPN :)

In chapter 2, the scene where you can see the trandoshans jumping over the gap in the helmet's reflection, I though "wow they must have built the whole set, cause there's no way they'd spend CGI money on such an unnoticeable detail..." similarly, when I learnt, halfway through the season, about the technology they were using, I started picking up on some scenes where I though they had used it, maybe a couple each episode... I pride myself in spotting CGI in movies, pictures etc, never been one to be fooled by fake viral videos and such...
I now realize MOST of this show is actual CGI, projected on a circular screen with camera position tracking, and not only does it look absolutely gorgeous, I was totally convinced most of it was real sets and locations.

mind

blown

not sure if I'm overreacting, but it seems to me this is revolutionary, especially for TV productions. Like, invention of greenscreen-revolutionary.

Anyway, when's season 2???

In chapter 2, the scene where you can see the trandoshans jumping over the gap in the helmet's reflection, I though "wow they must have built the whole set, cause there's no way they'd spend CGI money on such an unnoticeable detail..." similarly, when I learnt, halfway through the season, about the technology they were using, I started picking up on some scenes where I though they had used it, maybe a couple each episode... I pride myself in spotting CGI in movies, pictures etc, never been one to be fooled by fake viral videos and such...
I now realize MOST of this show is actual CGI, projected on a circular screen with camera position tracking, and not only does it look absolutely gorgeous, I was totally convinced most of it was real sets and locations.

mind

blown

not sure if I'm overreacting, but it seems to me this is revolutionary, especially for TV productions. Like, invention of greenscreen-revolutionary.

Seems like to me, the approach of Favreau is to use the tech to serve the story. I believe they've done an incredible job at that.

I can't help but compare that to the multiple prequel BTS documentaries I watched. While I enjoyed them, for better or worse, I do get the feeling that we got several things, just to show off the tech. Like, I distinctly remember hearing that ILM took on the job of the effects for THE PERFECT STORM, just because George wanted to prove they could do a realistic water effect for Kamino. By doing the other film, they were able to perfect it on someone else's dime.

Not saying that it was a bad thing, just something that highlights the differences in approach to me.

mind

blown

I think september, possibly october.

I'm at episode 7. Taking my time.

Please, Disney, don't make a Mandalorian movie or tie his backstory into Skywalker lore with Jabba the Hut and Solo cameos. I swear, if he ever sets foot on Tatooine I will cringe myself into a neutron star.

Did you skip Chapter 5? :whistle:
Oh ******, I actually mentally blocked that one from my memory. It happened.

So this nondescript "rock" in some corner of the galaxy is actually the most important place in the universe. Great.

Star Wars (ANH) used to be about a character we could all relate to - a loser kid from a podunk planet whose aspirations and faith propelled him to greatness. .....but it turns out he's not like us at all but a guy with a unique supernatural birthright which is something almost nobody can relate to.

At least blasters and lightsabers are still cool. I'll always have that.

Last edited:
...I want that Razor Crest, but it's looking like $130 for it.

Yea, sadly, it looks like it suffers pretty hard from the "star wars mark up" on lego. my understanding is that an average kit, especially a big one, should average out to about $0.10 per lego piece. I think most lego star wars sets I've seen, have gone north of that pretty solidly; which I assume is mostly going towards licensing.

Yea, sadly, it looks like it suffers pretty hard from the "star wars mark up" on lego. my understanding is that an average kit, especialy a big one, should average out to about $0.10 per lego piece. I think most lego star wars sets I've seen, and gone north of that pretty solidly; which I assume most is going towards licensing.
Yup... That's been my experience as well. I had friends in retail that told me there were certain licenses that were on a 'NO CLEARANCE' list. Lego SW was at the top of that list.

Sure, there have been plenty of occasions where they shot things in the parks, but it was as the parks themselves, as-is. Not as another fictional setting (I can't say never ever, but as far as I know). But I guess anything's possible, getting shots here and there to pepper into an episode mainly shot on stages, etc.
Mostly true, as far as I know. One exception I know of is that they used the facade of the Chinese Theater in the then-Disney/MGM Studios park to portray the real Chinese Theater in The Rocketeer. Because the facade was built full-scale from the original blueprints, it was actually a better match for how the theater appeared in 1938 than the real thing was at that point.

SSB

They already have; the droid L3-37 makes a reference to "Black Spire" in dialog during Solo: A Star Wars Story. IIRC, there's also a novel forthcoming that is set on Batuu.
If by "forthcoming", you mean "came out last Fall"...

1582586418900.png

There's also the Marvel miniseries:

1582586502772.png

And that's just things that are titled after it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back