The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Repainted a plastic 1/4 scale shield today.
Before and After pics
Screenshot_20190514-193946.jpg
IMG_20190514_132011.jpg

I took down old tv-satellite last day, and realized that is the perfect form for a captain America shield. I’ve done a lot of research but my only problem is that I either can’t order the duplicolor metal cast from US or find it here in Europe, Sweden where I live. So my question is if someone outside Europe have done a shield and which color you used then. I search a lot but only find people in America that spray paint with Duplicolor or testor.

Hey guys,

I'm working on a Marvel Legends plastic shield. Having some difficulty with it, but trying to be persistent. What do you guys recommend for stripping the paint off? I've been doing it mainly by hand with sandpaper and some turpentine, but it's been excruciatingly slow and not giving me great results.

Would an orbital sander be okay? I don't want to completely destroy the plastic.

Hey guys,

I'm working on a Marvel Legends plastic shield. Having some difficulty with it, but trying to be persistent. What do you guys recommend for stripping the paint off? I've been doing it mainly by hand with sandpaper and some turpentine, but it's been excruciatingly slow and not giving me great results.

Would an orbital sander be okay? I don't want to completely destroy the plastic.

Do not use an orbital sander because it will definitely destroy the plastic. I would also avoid the turpentine and just go for fairly fine grades of wet and dry sandpaper and water and just take your time. Chemical paint removers and plastic do not happy results make.

Do not use an orbital sander because it will definitely destroy the plastic. I would also avoid the turpentine and just go for fairly fine grades of wet and dry sandpaper and water and just take your time. Chemical paint removers and plastic do not happy results make.

Thanks for the tips. After an excruciatingly long day I managed to get it back to bare plastic. The turpentine basically did nothing, so it was just a lot of sanding. Hopefully this attempt will work better.

Hey guys,

Hey there! This is a pretty good tutorial on getting the sanding done while making it look more like brushed metal (Vibrainium).

I used this for mine and have sanded it down a few times. I used a few different grits of sandpaper (only dry, didn’t try wet), going from lower grit (coarse) to higher grit (fine). The trick is to not put a lot of pressure and go back and forth using the rig set up from the video. I am sure you can get all the way down to bare plastic if you needed to, but I only took the clear coat off of mine and then a little bit of the bare plastic was exposed from sanding. After painting, it was fine. No issues with paint adhering.

Here are a few photos

13EA44E9-AE79-4879-ABB6-119FFB9A16DF.jpeg
7D2F1AA6-1CCA-438A-AE07-837D75491299.jpeg
AB4CD4F4-7CF1-4ABA-9AB7-41806F1B3663.jpeg
6C0D6271-1B74-4428-AD2C-55B0CDED51D8.jpeg
13EA44E9-AE79-4879-ABB6-119FFB9A16DF.jpeg7D2F1AA6-1CCA-438A-AE07-837D75491299.jpegAB4CD4F4-7CF1-4ABA-9AB7-41806F1B3663.jpeg6C0D6271-1B74-4428-AD2C-55B0CDED51D8.jpeg

Hey there! This is a pretty good tutorial on getting the sanding done while making it look more like brushed metal (Vibrainium).

I used this for mine and have sanded it down a few times. I used a few different grits of sandpaper (only dry, didn’t try wet), going from lower grit (coarse) to higher grit (fine). The trick is to not put a lot of pressure and go back and forth using the rig set up from the video. I am sure you can get all the way down to bare plastic if you needed to, but I only took the clear coat off of mine and then a little bit of the bare plastic was exposed from sanding. After painting, it was fine. No issues with paint adhering.

Here are a few photos

View attachment 1311850View attachment 1311851View attachment 1311852View attachment 1311853View attachment 1311850View attachment 1311851View attachment 1311852View attachment 1311853

Wow, this looks unbelievably good.

I think I managed to get the brushed effect, just waiting on the weather to cooperate so I can paint it. Winter in Australia so it's a bit of a pain. And I have no where in doors to paint.

I'll be sure to post some photos of mine once I've gotten the other colors on.

I have finished the shield.

Almost Finished.jpg
Brushed.jpg
Finished.jpg

Third attempt at painting this properly. I'm really happy with it. Considering it's plastic I am really happy with the finish I was able to get, though difficult to capture on my camera.

Paints:
Rustoleum flat grey primer
Duplicolor Anodized coating base coat
Duplicolor Anodized coating metallic red
Duplicolor Anodized coating metallic blue

Now I just have to wait for my White Sheep Leather Stealth Suit and the Leather Fashion Valley accessories.

That's pretty good looking.

I had a crazy idea the other day about using red and blue machinist marking dye to paint a shield.
Thoughts? not durable enough? can't get an even coat?

It occurred to me that if you were going to do a custom version based on the idea that it's creation was more accidental, (Tank hatch origin?) a brush painted version using machinist dye might fit the bill.

Any tips on getting metalcast to not go on too dark? For my blue it went on too dusty so I suspect I wasn't spraying close enough, and with the red I think I put too many layers on and so it's a little dark. Is there a way to wet sand the red so it's lighter or should I strip and start over?

shield discolor.jpg

Can anyone please help? I am making a Cap shield using the flexible flyer sled that so many tutorials use. After stripping the paint, I sat on the project for a while and the shield became discolored. I cleaned it using a 1:1 ratio of water and white vinegar which did wonders at first but now the vinegar itself seems to discolor the shield. I only scrub with the vinegar for a couple minutes and it cleans it pretty well, then I rinse it thoroughly under a hose and then dry it. But everytime after a few minutes it will begin to discolor again, sometimes worse then before. Any suggestions?

I was going to create a separate thread but I figured I’d post here instead. Where is a good place to buy a aluminum shield? I have no problem painting one. But I see the painted weathered shield on eBay which look decent for the price but they are from China.

I’m hoping someone can offer some advice. Thanks gang!

I was going to create a separate thread but I figured I’d post here instead. Where is a good place to buy a aluminum shield? I have no problem painting one. But I see the painted weathered shield on eBay which look decent for the price but they are from China.

I’m hoping someone can offer some advice. Thanks gang!
There are a few places to get a good one. Depends on how much you want to spend. I'm hoping to get one from this guy on Etsy.

Hello!

I just wanted to ask, has anyone who has a metal Shield powdercoated there shield yet, I'm not planning on doing it myself but was thinking of sending my shield somewhere to do it, just wanted to see what the outcome looks like before doing it.

thanks

I painted a shield and it looks pretty good....but not great. I didn’t get the separate star to flatten as flat as possible, and it annoys me.

I might order another star, strip the shield, and start over.... or what I’d really love to do is have a disk piece that has the star cut into it. Then all I’d have to do is paint that and add it. Done.

The problem is all the discus I’ve seen are made to fit a 24” shield. My shield is 25”. Does anyone know a maker that has that center star disk to fit a 25” shield?

Hello!

I just wanted to ask, has anyone who has a metal Shield powdercoated there shield yet, I'm not planning on doing it myself but was thinking of sending my shield somewhere to do it, just wanted to see what the outcome looks like before doing it.

thanks
I am planning on doing this weekend. 1/1 scale aluminum shield.. Will let you know how it turns out..

View attachment 1365992
Can anyone please help? I am making a Cap shield using the flexible flyer sled that so many tutorials use. After stripping the paint, I sat on the project for a while and the shield became discolored. I cleaned it using a 1:1 ratio of water and white vinegar which did wonders at first but now the vinegar itself seems to discolor the shield. I only scrub with the vinegar for a couple minutes and it cleans it pretty well, then I rinse it thoroughly under a hose and then dry it. But everytime after a few minutes it will begin to discolor again, sometimes worse then before. Any suggestions?
Don't know if you've solved this problem or not. But this depends on what this is.. is it made of aluminum? If so it's not rust, aluminum doesn't rust, if so it's probably a reaction to a coating that was on it that wasnt removed all the way.. in that case get some fine steel wool and go back over then sand starting around 600 grit up to 2000. If it's some kind of steel iron mix get something like gold metal kleen kettle cleaner or a rust stain remover, then clean up and prime with a rust shield primer. You could also use bondo over it but never been wild about that, not flexible enough.. have fun!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back