The HellBoy Samaritan

Wow!! That is some swwwweeeeeet work you've done there!! I've always wanted one of the Samaritans, and yours just looks superb. Suuuu-perb! :cool All your additions, bullets, boxes, etc. really add to a well done prop!

sadly, mine is 'non functional' and its a simple push fit to break the gun open to load. The chamber does spin freely, however. And yeh, thats my wife holding it- she is 5'4- prob much the same size as the girl used in the SS pics.
Truthfully guys- its the second time I built it- the first was way too small. We all make mistakes !!
The gun, as a prop, must have been dead heavy, even in resin its a chunk.
Id love someone to make it in metal.
Incidently hellboy fans, am I allowed to say a certain web auction site is offering Hellboy comlinks, in metal- by the same guy offering bladerunner metal kits- they are LOVELY

Incidently hellboy fans, am I allowed to say a certain web auction site is offering Hellboy comlinks, in metal- by the same guy offering bladerunner metal kits- they are LOVELY

Yes I saw those, the said person also offered a set of four of the holy water rounds to fit the Sideshow version. They were pretty cool too.

Absolutely stellar work on the Samaritan and speedloaders in case btw (y)thumbsup

Is Samaritan gun was based on pre-WW1, Webley produced a "self cocking" or "automatic" revolver called the Webley Fosbery which was quite popular with British officers in WW1.

the Doctor: looking great! I like to see your progress. And where did you get those drawings

The basic look of the Samaritan is based on a real gun. I believe it's French. It' a big sucker where ever it's from. I have pictures of it on my home PC. I'll post those tonight.

Yes, but that's all they did (the Samaritan). Sideshow actually created the original prototype (non-functional, mind you - just the pattern) and it was sent down to WETA for fabrication. You can be sure that the functional hero was indeed machined out of metal from scratch - no modification of any existing firearms.

From what I understand (and this is from the horse's mouth, too) is that Weta (not WETA -- it's not an acronym :)) made the guns and SST asked for a copy to make replicas. But as someone else mentioned, the one on the wall at the Workshop is one of their originals (not a SST). :)

Yes I saw those, the said person also offered a set of four of the holy water rounds to fit the Sideshow version. They were pretty cool too.

Those holy water rounds are fantastic. I am guessing they are cast pewter with a wash of paint to look like brass? I dunno if I'd ever spring for them as I worry about how a prop filled with water will age! :)

I would love to put a clear tipped round together with a bright green LED to match the tracker round used in the film. I've never handled one of the Samaritan rounds - but they look big enough to hide an LED and small battery. I remember metal rounds being offered on ebay a while ago that fit the sideshow samaritan - were they made by someone on these boards?

Just watched a bit of the film at lunch - I love the way HB has all his "specail" rounds mounted on cards like little toy figures. Also noticed for the first time the big-ol' shotgun in the case.

From what I understand (and this is from the horse's mouth, too) is that Weta (not WETA -- it's not an acronym :)) made the guns and SST asked for a copy to make replicas. But as someone else mentioned, the one on the wall at the Workshop is one of their originals (not a SST). :)
Well, when I dealt with the Prop Master - Michael Lindsay - in September of 2002, he showed me the original drawings of the Samaritan by TyRuben Ellingson and casually inquired if I thought I would be capable of fabricating the props - so at that time no vendor had officially been chosen to produce them for the film (at least that is what I understood). Only a few weeks later he showed me a photo on his laptop of the pattern that he said Sideshow had produced and then said that it was being sent to Weta, who were going to produce the hero and stunt guns for the film. *That* was from the horse's mouth too.

here's a jpeg of the Samaritan drawing, it's about as accurate as I could make it:

samaritancomplete-1.jpg

samaritancomplete2.jpg

The scale bar is 100mm, so if you want it full size, you've got something to work too!

Last edited:
Welp, I was watching The Quick and THe dead the other day, and there was something about the Schofield .45 that Dicaprio shows off in his gun shop that I couldn't put my finger on. Last night I watched 3:10 to Yuma and was once again treated to some views of the Schofield .45. Yep - very Samaritan-esque. So similar, in fact, that last night I was convinced that that was what they used to build the prop with. But no - after comparing photos I see that the film Samaritan is indeed entirely manufactured from scratch. But..... if you ever got your hands on a Schofield .45 replica you'd have an amazing base for making a full metal comic/film Samaritan hybred!

The pistol in question (it is a big mean looking gun that loads just like the Samaritan):

A moder reproduction:
beretta.jpg

The original:
sch_2.jpg

sch_3.jpg

Last edited:
The top break action of the samaritan was based heavily on the "francotte" top break revolver.

Here is a picture:
francotte.jpg

They made a few other models that were larger, I have those pics at home.

Ty Rubin smartly based the weapon on real world european guns.

Attachments

• francotte.jpg
    francotte.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 49
love the speed loaders and the green "army" looking Samaritan box

if i had that setup i think i would keep my samaritan... :confused

(it's for sale now)

hey guys,

I sold my first one, but just picked up another Samaritan!

Does anyone know if anybody is offering props to go with this gun anymore?

I LOVED the box and the speed loaders that CustomCreations made!

I'd also love to track down some of those fancy "special cartridges" with the "holy water" and "silver shavings"...!! :thumbsup

Any info shoot me an email or PM. whitmorebrad(at)hotmail.com

thanks!

brad

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back