The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Anyone else think the quad blaster might be modled on, or inspired by the old 80s Lazer Tag Starlytes by World's of Wonder? Maybe cut off the handle and hollow out the second one, flip it upside down and attach it to the first to make the second barrel?

Could be be a sneaky cool 80s homage, and would have been the right timing for Quill on Earth. Circa 1986.

View attachment 457016
I thought the exact same thing when I first saw it.

Yep, I've seen it super up close, that's exactly what it is. Really heavy weight dark red thread. The whole backside of the one I saw was covered in glue.

This is way to long to read every post. I have a question on these two jackets. Anyone have any history with these sellers? Are these any good replicas?

Here is Star Lord http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guardians-o...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4636e5722c

Star L back.jpgStar L side.jpgStar L front.jpgstar L close.jpg

Here is Guardians of the Galaxy Star Lord http://www.black-leatherjacket.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-peter-quill-jacket

chris-pratt-star-lord%20-jacket-900x900.jpgstar-lord-leather-jacket-900x900.jpgguardians-of-the-galaxy-leather-jacket-900x900.jpgchris-pratt-jacket-900x900.jpg

Which one is best, or better, or which maker is a better jacket maker? Any thoughts?

This is way to long to read every post. I have a question on these two jackets. Anyone have any history with these sellers? Are these any good replicas?

Which one is best, or better, or which maker is a better jacket maker? Any thoughts?

The first one is the closest any "commercial" maker has come because it has the screen printed main body. There are still a lot of details that aren't spot on (wrong zipper, lining, wrong fabric, masked off areas should not be symmetrical, color has too much pink-shift, paint used on screen printed pattern does not seem to be clear, a few seams and sewing pattern details are wrong and some more nitpicks) but I doubt you will see a better ready-made purchasable option and only someone that has really studied the jacket (like me and a couple other folks around here) will probably care about the differences. Making the jacket to the level of accuracy like I attempted to do is a major undertaking- it took me the better part of two months from pattern to completion and mine is still not perfect. You can also get that jacket for less in the junkyard since RPFer Danny is doing special runs along with the maker in Mexico.

The second jacket is nowhere near accurate to what it's supposed to be a replica of. The movie flight jacket was not leather, though it had some leather details, and the pattern and details were very different. It may be a fine jacket overall, but if you are looking for accuracy, that one is no closer that being "a short red jacket in a similar style".

(Note that I don't intend to "bash" the quality of these jackets or insult the makers but this IS the RPF after all, where we argue about the consistency of running paint droplets on Stormtrooper helmets.)

If you want a Star Lord jacket but aren't fanatical about the details, the first one will get you pretty far.

I got to try on one of Danny's jackets yesterday, and it felt very similar to how the real jacket felt on me (but you know, in my actual size.) There are definitely some pattern details that are different and the color is overall a bit brighter than the real thing, but it's the best one available at the moment. I could get really nitpicky and point out hundreds of little details, but I will just say that I've analyzed the original inside and out and there's no way I can make a perfect replica. It's just that complicated.

You can also get that jacket for less in the junkyard since RPFer Danny is doing special runs along with the maker in Mexico.

Could you post a link to the jacket you are speaking of? I could not find it, all I found was his trench coat.

Last edited:

Here is Star Lord http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guardians-o...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4636e5722c

View attachment 459942View attachment 459943View attachment 459944View attachment 459945

Here is Guardians of the Galaxy Star Lord http://www.black-leatherjacket.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-peter-quill-jacket

View attachment 459946View attachment 459947View attachment 459948View attachment 459949

Yeah, I have to have that first one. I just don't see myself trying to make a movie-accurate jacket from scratch.

I do have the ebay "slim fit" star lord jacket. It was custom sized to match how the movie jacket sits, so it looks ridiculous out of costume. After getting the new jacket I might have a go at lengthening the old one for casual wear, but it touched Stan Lee and William Shatner, so I might frame it....:D

That second jacket, I dunno. It's kind of out there. Not my style for sure.

I'm waiting for vests to get better. Only seen one so far aftermarket and it's just wrong.

If anyone is interested in pics of the 2nd jacket (the Ravager's suit) then I can post them. I bought that jacket cause I plan on doing that cosplay at DragonCon this year. It's got a number of inaccuracies but it's really well made.

If anyone is interested in pics of the 2nd jacket (the Ravager's suit) then I can post them. I bought that jacket cause I plan on doing that cosplay at DragonCon this year. It's got a number of inaccuracies but it's really well made.

Please do.. I'm right on the edge of deciding whether or not to order one of those myself and would love a closer look at an actual jacket that they have sent out vs. the promo shots on their site.

I'd also be down to see the Ravager's jacket!

Also, question for you guys. I "finished" my costume in October last year; however I sold me motorcycle pants around the same time, because I didn't expect to use them ever again. Now I have been invited to St. Louis Comic Con, which is May 22-24. What do you guys think I should do for Star Lord pants? I do own a pair of jeans that would work, howevere they're simply fitted dress jeans, and don't quite look right. Thoughts?

I'd also be down to see the Ravager's jacket!

Also, question for you guys. I "finished" my costume in October last year; however I sold me motorcycle pants around the same time, because I didn't expect to use them ever again. Now I have been invited to St. Louis Comic Con, which is May 22-24. What do you guys think I should do for Star Lord pants? I do own a pair of jeans that would work, howevere they're simply fitted dress jeans, and don't quite look right. Thoughts?
Search "black armored motorcycle pants" on eBay, 4th ones down listed as MENS ARMORED MOTORCYCLE PANTS TEXTILE BLACK W/ KNEE PROTECTOR SIZE 30 32 33 34

Anyone seen the new ebay cosplay pants?

Listing: Guardians of The Galaxy Star Lord Peter Quill Cosplay Pants Size L

Seller: human_go

There's also an all-black semi-knockoff of the bag.

Listing: Guardians of The Galaxy Star Lord Peter Quill Bag Cosplay Custom Made

Seller: lotahk

And a new vest, with worse greebles than the other knockoff.

Listing: Guardians of the Galaxy Star Lord Peter Quill Designer Leather Waistcoat Vest

Seller: stylowears-uk

Anyone seen the new ebay cosplay pants?

Listing: Guardians of The Galaxy Star Lord Peter Quill Cosplay Pants Size L

Seller: human_go

There's also an all-black semi-knockoff of the bag.

Listing: Guardians of The Galaxy Star Lord Peter Quill Bag Cosplay Custom Made

Seller: lotahk

And a new vest, with worse greebles than the other knockoff.

Listing: Guardians of the Galaxy Star Lord Peter Quill Designer Leather Waistcoat Vest

Seller: stylowears-uk
Unfortunately that stuff is very inaccurate :/ but it would be good for a budget minded cosplay

The vest and bag are not impressive. The pants I think might have some potential. I need to contact the seller and ask a few things. Mostly I want to set how the knee works. But I'll probably end up ordering them anyways. Sewing the pants from scratch is not something I was interested in.

The vest and bag are not impressive. The pants I think might have some potential. I need to contact the seller and ask a few things. Mostly I want to set how the knee works. But I'll probably end up ordering them anyways. Sewing the pants from scratch is not something I was interested in.

The details and pattern of those pants are all wrong. Get a pair of denim motorcycle pants instead and do some simple mods. At least then you'll have a proper pair of pants that look like they were made for actual use and that'll go farther to establish the authentic Star Lord look than the cheap cosplay fabric and workmanship of those ebay things. My two cents.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back