The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

The details and pattern of those pants are all wrong. Get a pair of denim motorcycle pants instead and do some simple mods. At least then you'll have a proper pair of pants that look like they were made for actual use and that'll go farther to establish the authentic Star Lord look than the cheap cosplay fabric and workmanship of those ebay things. My two cents.

The mods that pants need might seem simple to someone who can whip up a whole Star-Lord jacket. ;)

Plus they're blue...

Looks grey to me.

Edit to add:

Looks like these may be a second-generation of pants. The pants seller also sells this set.

Listing: Guardians of The Galaxy Star Lord Peter Quill Cosplay Costume Size L

I think I remember this set from awhile ago. 3-5 months or more.

Last edited:
The mods that pants need might seem simple to someone who can whip up a whole Star-Lord jacket. ;)

Well, maybe. But even without mods I would go with "close enough" motorcycle pants because they are made to be functional pants and are similar in style (if not detail) to Quill's. They'll be more realistic (for lack of a better word haha), like you're wearing actual gear and not a costume, than those ebay pants that just look "fake". You could get some corduroy and just glue panels to outside of the MC pants... even drawing on the stitching details on the side pockets would in my opinion look better than those. The MC pants will probably take a cheese grater a lot better (for weathering) than the alternative.

Well, maybe. But even without mods I would go with "close enough" motorcycle pants because they are made to be functional pants and are similar in style (if not detail) to Quill's. They'll be more realistic (for lack of a better word haha), like you're wearing actual gear and not a costume, than those ebay pants that just look "fake". You could get some corduroy and just glue panels to outside of the MC pants... even drawing on the stitching details on the side pockets would in my opinion look better than those. The MC pants will probably take a cheese grater a lot better (for weathering) than the alternative.

I actually did the motorcycle pants thing for a convention. Synthetic though, not denim.

It's actually the pants starlordquill was talking about in post 1398, right before I listed the 3 new items.

Search "black armored motorcycle pants" on eBay, 4th ones down listed as MENS ARMORED MOTORCYCLE PANTS TEXTILE BLACK W/ KNEE PROTECTOR SIZE 30 32 33 34

Remove the pocket and the red tags on the knees. And wore them for the weekend during PAC-CON 2014. In real life they are black, not grey like the ebay photo. Also, they were tight in the crotch. I don't really relish the idea of wearing them again.

I might consider denim motorcycle pants this time. I might also consider seeing if they'll modify the costume pants to make them look better. I have already asked them to specify materials. They said pleather and cotton, so I responded asking them to be more specific about the cotton. If denim works better, then maybe I can ask them to use that. I also asked them to post pics of the back and of the pants worn with the knee bent. I want to see what they did in there.

Obviously, the pants won't be movie-accurate for $75. But I dunno. To my eye they look fairly good for $75, except the knee and the whole pant being so "clean" looking. I'm sure there's small-bits that will be wrong, but do you see any major bits they could easily make right by request?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure there's small-bits that will be wrong, but do you see any major bits they could easily make right by request?

It's hard to give a full list without more photos (and I'm in a rush, so this is from memory) but:

The basic pant model looks wrong- like they took a pair of slacks and tacked on a bunch of stuff. I think they might look odd and baggy when the boots come on. The screen pants are more like a cargo-pant/MC pant kinda thing. Knees should be pleats and not pads. Inner flaps should be smaller. The stitched pockets just looked odd. Pocket openings should be more towards the front. Some of the panels need adjusting (this would be more advanced). The zipper-flap is not really the correct shape and isn't sewn in right. Those are the "big" issues I remember.

It's hard to give a full list without more photos (and I'm in a rush, so this is from memory) but:

The basic pant model looks wrong- like they took a pair of slacks and tacked on a bunch of stuff. I think they might look odd and baggy when the boots come on. The screen pants are more like a cargo-pant/MC pant kinda thing. Knees should be pleats and not pads. Inner flaps should be smaller. The stitched pockets just looked odd. Pocket openings should be more towards the front. Some of the panels need adjusting (this would be more advanced). The zipper-flap is not really the correct shape and isn't sewn in right. Those are the "big" issues I remember.

The ironed in crease does look rather slack-like. And it may be how it's sitting on the mannequin. I think they have it cinched in back or something so it draws in to the mannequins waist. I think this may also be why the pockets and panels look like they sit funny.

Yes, the knees are a major concern for me. That's why I requested a picture of the pants being worn with the knee bent. I want to see exactly what they did.

I guess final judgement will be reserved until I can see pics.

I'm taking that view on the costume now @joatrash "At least then you'll have a proper pair of pants that look like they were made for actual use and that'll go farther to establish the authentic Star Lord look than the cheap cosplay fabric and workmanship of those ebay things. My two cents."

going for a what if i was star lord what would i wear type approach, seeking perfection is driving me insane so my final look i want to achieve is a "hey your star lord, wow it looks so authentic" (not identical but looks like i've just stepped off my spaceship lol).

Last edited by a moderator:
They also look ill-fitting

They do offer custom sizing on these. They didn't quote an additional cost for it either, but who knows.

I'm taking that view on the costume now @joatrash "At least then you'll have a proper pair of pants that look like they were made for actual use and that'll go farther to establish the authentic Star Lord look than the cheap cosplay fabric and workmanship of those ebay things. My two cents."

going for a what if i was star lord what would i wear type approach, seeking perfection is driving me insane so my final look i want to achieve is a "hey your star lord, wow it looks so authentic" (not identical but looks like i've just stepped off my spaceship lol).

Really, I'm trying to be an optimist about it since the prospect of buying a sewing machine that can handle thick denim, material, jeans, and then sitting down and trying to do that is slightly headache inducing. If I can get them to make these in denim, readjust the striped patches, and sort out the knee. I think they may be very serviceable for me, and I'm not going for 100% accurate either. I just want it to look reasonably close.

But again, I'm waiting for pics of both sides and a pic of the knee bending. And no matter what, I'll need new pants regardless. The synthetic motorcycle pants, they really are uncomfortably tight even though the measurements are proper for me.

well I'm in talks with a costume designer regarding trousers (amongst other things) so I'm going to get them close but I'm really picky so it will never be 100% hence my refocus on authenticity rather than 100% accuracy. keep us updated on how they turn out! how much of the costume have you done so far?

They do offer custom sizing on these. They didn't quote an additional cost for it either, but who knows.

Really, I'm trying to be an optimist about it since the prospect of buying a sewing machine that can handle thick denim, material, jeans, and then sitting down and trying to do that is slightly headache inducing. If I can get them to make these in denim, readjust the striped patches, and sort out the knee. I think they may be very serviceable for me, and I'm not going for 100% accurate either. I just want it to look reasonably close.

But again, I'm waiting for pics of both sides and a pic of the knee bending. And no matter what, I'll need new pants regardless. The synthetic motorcycle pants, they really are uncomfortably tight even though the measurements are proper for me.

well I'm in talks with a costume designer regarding trousers (amongst other things) so I'm going to get them close but I'm really picky so it will never be 100% hence my refocus on authenticity rather than 100% accuracy. keep us updated on how they turn out! how much of the costume have you done so far?

I got a mask (xcoser), jacket (ebay "slim fit" version), pants (synthetic motorcycle), homemade holsters and spats from pleather, and painted up nerf blasters.

It was all put together very quickly for a con that was upcoming. And I plan on upgrading pretty much everything about it over time.

Need a better fitting mask, the one I have now doesn't have enough space for electronics.

I want that new $350-$400 jacket on ebay, the one that's like 90% there.

New pants...obviously.

Probably gonna buy the spats here to go over my Skecher Diameters.

Belt and holster need to be acquired in leather.

After that I should only really need the rocket controls and rockets.

I crafted some of the loose accessories like the tape and sphere, but I need to upgrade those too. That can happen very slowly over time until the sequel, but I want the main costume down before fall if possible.

Hello everyone. New to the boards and just wanted to share my classic Annihilation Star Lord costume I wore at SDCC 2014. I have a MDuckett helmet on the way and hope to do a Ravager Short Jacket Movie costume for NYCC 2015.

This thread is a great resource and the dedication and attention to detail blows my mind from some of you guys, awesome stuff.

10561132_1446622312275290_1005277142_n.jpgFB_IMG_1430054279318.jpg

On etsy, nova corps selling rocket button controls, one of the images shows the guys trousers.....they look impressive! Does anyone know who the seller is?!

Thanks Kevin, that's a shame I'm sure there would be plenty of interest.

Yeah, I would have loved a pair of those.

Yet another reason I gotta go with ebay, I don't know anyone local to me who could do that.

Also the other pics of the ebay pants should be up this week according to the seller.

They most likely stripped the outer skin of the sketcher shoe and re skinned it. There is a high res picture of the back of the boot and there is a low res picture of the boot opened in a photo that was in a dressing trailer he used.

Hiya mate, you don't happen to have that open boot pic do you?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back