The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

The pants have always looked like true navy blue to me (which is close to black, but still blue). I guess it's up to your own perspective.

View attachment 392105 View attachment 392106

I went with navy blue for my cosplay. They're a lot brighter than his, but I like the contrast. Here's how the belt and the whole outfit turned out! The belt was awesome because a relative showed me how to cut and stain real cow hide to make it (though they ended up sewing the final pieces together).

View attachment 392112 View attachment 392110 View attachment 392108
Costume looks really good. Love the belt and leather work. Need to learn to do this myself as am building a father and son Star-Lord ensemble. Son is wearing a Disney store bought costume with WIP: Work In Progress modifications to the mask e.g. complete repaint, adding braided hose details, mirror lens sunglasses with RTGS micro string red LED lights powered by 2 watch batteries. Built a cardboard SONY TPS-L2 Walkman which is currently housing a portable bluetooth JAM Rewind 4 speaker set-up inside to blare out the AWESOME MIX VOL.1 from my cellphone. Mine is just a major work in progress.

DSCN3731.JPG

Costume looks really good. Love the belt and leather work. Need to learn to do this myself as am building a father and son Star-Lord ensemble. Son is wearing a Disney store bought costume with WIP: Work In Progress modifications to the mask e.g. complete repaint, adding braided hose details, mirror lens sunglasses with RTGS micro string red LED lights powered by 2 watch batteries. Built a cardboard SONY TPS-L2 Walkman which is currently housing a portable bluetooth JAM Rewind 4 speaker set-up inside to blare out the AWESOME MIX VOL.1 from my cellphone. Mine is just a major work in progress.

View attachment 392115

Very cool! You guys look so great!

I'm debating picking up a mask because only 3 people out of a crowd of 100 knew who I was. Also, the weight of the guns were slowly pulling the gun pads off my pants (I velcro'd them on). I'm going to end up sewing them on. I didn't want to do this because I opted to use leather to make them. Leather is great, but a note to others, just use cloth, it's easier to wash!

Very cool! You guys look so great!

I'm debating picking up a mask because only 3 people out of a crowd of 100 knew who I was. Also, the weight of the guns were slowly pulling the gun pads off my pants (I velcro'd them on). I'm going to end up sewing them on. I didn't want to do this because I opted to use leather to make them. Leather is great, but a note to others, just use cloth, it's easier to wash!

May need to wear a license plate size sign around your neck with the sayings: Who are you? I am Star-Lord Legendary Outlaw...... :) You would think with the popularity of the movie in grand proportions one would know the character even if you didn't watch the movie. Yeah go get the helmet and take your time in painting and adding the small details. I made a detailed list on my Star-Lord builds HERE to reference. Good luck on your build. Again looks great as this costume just has so many details. I hope to have mine finished before the next GOTG 2 movie!!! Slowly but surely will make it as close to screen accurate as humanly possible.

It looks like you used the cell phone clips for your blasters, how well did those work? Its one of the last pieces I need for my Halloween costume.

May need to wear a license plate size sign around your neck with the sayings: Who are you? I am Star-Lord Legendary Outlaw...... :) You would think with the popularity of the movie in grand proportions one would know the character even if you didn't watch the movie. Yeah go get the helmet and take your time in painting and adding the small details. I made a detailed list on my Star-Lord builds HERE to reference. Good luck on your build. Again looks great as this costume just has so many details. I hope to have mine finished before the next GOTG 2 movie!!! Slowly but surely will make it as close to screen accurate as humanly possible.

For the few who asked, I quoted the movie from the opening scene. I got a kick out of it, but it would have been even cooler to have more recognition. It was only the top grossing movie of the year, you'd think more people would have seen it, lol!

It looks like you used the cell phone clips for your blasters, how well did those work? Its one of the last pieces I need for my Halloween costume.

The cell phone clips worked great, except I had to make a contraption to hold them onto the blaster pads. I took two rectangular strips of hard plastic (it's what I had) as the base. I was debating between plastic and metal, but opted for plastic since it's lighter. I bent a slight "U" into one, with the ends still parallel to the straight strip. I screw these together, with the blaster pad in between. I cut of the ends of the screws on the back so they wouldn't poke into my sides. The clip "clipped" to the "U" strip. I also put velcro on the back of the back strip to secure it to my pants.

Blaster Holder (1).jpgBlaster Holder (2).jpg

The clip worked great! However, the blasters were heavy enough to slowly peel the pads off my pants. I'm going to sew them down before Halloween and see how my second dress rehearsal for Mega-Con goes!

Last edited:
Five days to go. It's coming down to the wire for my first outing. Can anyone who used the Captain America binoculars comment on how they attached them to their boots and how well it has worked? Thanks!
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys! So im looking to do the Annihilation: Conquest variant of Star Lord's outfit. Most of it i can just sew, but i have an issue when it comes to the mask/helmet; i do not have a 3D printer, and i am not remotely experienced enough to craft the mask/helmet to the quality i am looking for. If any of you guys are willing to help me out please PM me so we can talk details.

And here's a quick reference to what the Annihilation: Conquest variant looks like.Star-Lord-design.jpg

I wanted to share some progress pics, foam mask and Nerf Blasters. I'm using EL wire in the eyes. It looks great, but hard to see out of when the lights are on. I still need to start on spats and a belt before Halloween.

quill1.PNGquill2.PNGquill3.JPG

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413895886920.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413895886920.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 165
Five days to go. It's coming down to the wire for my first outing. Can anyone who used the Captain America binoculars comment on how they attached them to their boots and how well it has worked? Thanks!
View attachment 392227View attachment 392228View attachment 392225View attachment 392226

I made a holder out of a sheet of plastic and a small plastic pipe. There's a piece on the back of the binoculars that sticks out like a "V." I cut the side of a pipe off just enough so the "V" piece would slide in. I glued a bit of plastic to the bottom of the pipe so the binoculars wouldn't slide all the way through and fall out. I then glued the back of the pipe to a larger square of plastic and riveted that to my pleather wrap that goes around my boot. You can get the plastic and pipe from Home Depot. The pleather and rivets I got from Joanne Fabrics. Although Michael's Art and Crafts has better prices and a better selection of rivets.

Note: My setup worked great, except one rocket did pop out while I was walking. I recommend gluing the rockets in, just in case.

Boot Rocket (1).jpgBoot Rocket (2).jpgBoot Rocket Holder (3).jpgBoot Rocket Holder (6).jpgBoot Rocket Holder (7).jpg

If using the binoculars, I also recommend cutting off the middle piece that swivels between the actual binoculars. Warning: this is hard to do with an exacto knife! There was a piece inside the piece I was cutting off. I highly recommend using a dremel, and don't plan on slicing all the way through, just go around the edge. Also, once this piece is removed, there's something inside that rattles. If you look in the space above the "V" piece on the back, you'll see what's rattling. I put a wad of sticky tack in it, and solved the rattling problem.

Boot Rocket (3).jpg

Hey guys! So im looking to do the Annihilation: Conquest variant of Star Lord's outfit. Most of it i can just sew, but i have an issue when it comes to the mask/helmet; i do not have a 3D printer, and i am not remotely experienced enough to craft the mask/helmet to the quality i am looking for. If any of you guys are willing to help me out please PM me so we can talk details.

And here's a quick reference to what the Annihilation: Conquest variant looks like.View attachment 392387

If you're looking to commission the helmet, you should post in the Want to Buy section of the forum: http://www.therpf.com/want-buy/

I made a holder out of a sheet of plastic and a small plastic pipe. There's a piece on the back of the binoculars that sticks out like a "V." I cut the side of a pipe off just enough so the "V" piece would slide in. I glued a bit of plastic to the bottom of the pipe so the binoculars wouldn't slide all the way through and fall out. I then glued the back of the pipe to a larger square of plastic and riveted that to my pleather wrap that goes around my boot. You can get the plastic and pipe from Home Depot. The pleather and rivets I got from Joanne Fabrics. Although Michael's Art and Crafts has better prices and a better selection of rivets.

Note: My setup worked great, except one rocket did pop out while I was walking. I recommend gluing the rockets in, just in case.

If using the binoculars, I also recommend cutting off the middle piece that swivels between the actual binoculars. Warning: this is hard to do with an exacto knife! There was a piece inside the piece I was cutting off. I highly recommend using a dremel, and don't plan on slicing all the way through, just go around the edge. Also, once this piece is removed, there's something inside that rattles. If you look in the space above the "V" piece on the back, you'll see what's rattling. I put a wad of sticky tack in it, and solved the rattling problem.
Nice man, thanks for the assist. I'm starting to feel like I'm on the home stretch here.

80skid, just to clarify, the Waldes zippers are not the screen used. They're very similar. The real ones are made by KCC.

Just shipped out Risu's zippers! Also started an interest thread herehttp://www.therpf.com/f75/star-lord-jacket-zipper-23-long-227193/ . I have a few left that I can let go. Not sure the proper way to get the word out, so I don't want to give too many details here so as not to break any rules. They're all in the INT thread. Carry on folks! I'm really excited to get this project rolling!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back