The Definitive Marvel's Daredevil thread

Anyone have any advice for putting together that black and white mask? I've got some fabric scraps to use, now I'm just trying to find out the best way to put them together to get that layered, wrapped look.

For those wondering how to do the black mask in Season 3:

To achieve Matt’s black mask, Vastola (Daredevil S3 Costume Designer) says you can cut up strips of black and white fabric from any t-shirt or another waffle tee. “Cut wide strips. tart in the back of your head and wrap it, cross it in the front, and wrap it back again. Stick a tiny, thin layer of white underneath the frayed edges [of black fabric], and tie it in a knot in the back.”

https://www.inverse.com/article/50078-daredevil-halloween-costume-guide-jessica-jones-amazon-cheap

Attachments

• img_2786.jpg
    img_2786.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,509
85D41EC8-B1C4-4044-80CB-AA2920D107E2.pngA good closeup on the texture and layering of the mask. It would not surprise me if this was designed specifically for close ups, and the mask was different in further away or stunt shots, because this does not look like material that Charlie would be able to see through. I could be wrong though

View attachment 850646A good closeup on the texture and layering of the mask. It would not surprise me if this was designed specifically for close ups, and the mask was different in further away or stunt shots, because this does not look like material that Charlie would be able to see through. I could be wrong though
I suspect you're right. Even back in season 1, there was a "hero" and a "stunt" mask. The stunt mask had thinner areas over the eyes so Chris Brewster could see better. I had a picture of it at one point, but I'm not sure what happened to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

C6E89EC5-3656-498D-99E1-5F07342B3F93.jpegC2F59C99-E813-4708-8B64-8AB60DBDA3B7.jpegFinished my version of the season 3 mask. I tried taking step by step pictures, but a lot of it didn’t photograph well, and there were some parts that I had to work on while wearing it, so it was more trouble than it was worth. I did take a bit of creative liberty, but I think it turned out really well. For the base of the mask, I used a 4 way stretch knit spandex. Not entirely accurate texture wise, but it’s the best material I’ve found for visibility and making sure the mask forms right. It’s important that it’s 4 way stretch. I tried to get a more texture accurate fabric that was 2 way stretch, and I could not get it to look smooth, no matter what I dif my head looked lumpy. For the white I used linen, because the fray looks good, and that’s what nun’s habits are made of (since they said he made the mask from the fabric of a nun’s habit). I just need to clip the little frayed threads as they get too long. And for the strips that wrap around, giving it that X across the forehead, I got creative and used an old boxing hand wrap. Not accurate, but it adds some texture, looks good, and I thought it was a great callback to Fogwell’s gym and Battlin’ Jack Murdock

Are you talking about the black or red suit?
If you're on a budget and can't get the real deal, any side zip black boots will work for the black suit. The season 1 red suit wore the old style Nike SFB chukka boots, so I'd imagine any chukkas would work for a budget.

Are you talking about the black or red suit?
If you're on a budget and can't get the real deal, any side zip black boots will work for the black suit. The season 1 red suit wore the old style Nike SFB chukka boots, so I'd imagine any chukkas would work for a budget.

Black suit.

I saw this and thought it looked alright. What's your opinion on it?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Men...lgo_pvid=e9468911-bf16-488a-bc6e-a72a7a26975d

View attachment 850788View attachment 850789Finished my version of the season 3 mask. I tried taking step by step pictures, but a lot of it didn’t photograph well, and there were some parts that I had to work on while wearing it, so it was more trouble than it was worth. I did take a bit of creative liberty, but I think it turned out really well. For the base of the mask, I used a 4 way stretch knit spandex. Not entirely accurate texture wise, but it’s the best material I’ve found for visibility and making sure the mask forms right. It’s important that it’s 4 way stretch. I tried to get a more texture accurate fabric that was 2 way stretch, and I could not get it to look smooth, no matter what I dif my head looked lumpy. For the white I used linen, because the fray looks good, and that’s what nun’s habits are made of (since they said he made the mask from the fabric of a nun’s habit). I just need to clip the little frayed threads as they get too long. And for the strips that wrap around, giving it that X across the forehead, I got creative and used an old boxing hand wrap. Not accurate, but it adds some texture, looks good, and I thought it was a great callback to Fogwell’s gym and Battlin’ Jack Murdock

Dude, looking good! Definitely reinforces the idea that linen's the way to go (for the white parts, at least). Do you have any pictures of the back or the shape of it when it's untied? I'm still trying to wrap my head (edit: pun mostly unintended) around how to get the right shape and have the dual-color tails hanging down behind the knot.

It doesn’t actually untie, The knot is actually just for show, the whole thing is just stitched together and the knot doesn’t hold anything. I can take some photos of the back next chance I get though. I’m going to try and remake it, it’s actually tough to keep the linen in place, and it’s hard to stitch it in place because the linen doesn’t stretch but the black spandex does. I’m also going to try and add some elastic under the bottom edge to help it stay stretched out so visibility would be a lot better, because that definitely helped my season one mask

Just wanted to express my gratitude to this thread for allowing my Halloween costume this year to really come to life. Without it, finding and acquiring the screen accurate gloves, forearm pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards would have been next to impossible, never mind the method I used to make the mask and find cheaper alternatives to the pants, belt, boots, and shirt. As a damn near lifelong Daredevil fan, I can't thank everyone in this thread enough!

rZQtwlb.png84jAphP.pngOjVSHTw.png0J7Ugjx.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back