The Definitive Shang-Chi Thread

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

TheNickFox

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was there I was senior prop maker on that show
Well first, AWESOME! Second, hand applied is absolute madness and I love it! Third, what am I seeing between the scales? What is the cross that pattern goes vertically between them and what is the rubbery surround?

Argonaut

I was there I was senior prop maker on that show
That's amazing! My original theory was that the pattern in between the scales were screenprinted and there was a guideline in the pattern for all the scales to be glued on afterwards. Could you corroborate or elaborate on this?

KoRen

Well first, AWESOME! Second, hand applied is absolute madness and I love it! Third, what am I seeing between the scales? What is the cross that pattern goes vertically between them and what is the rubbery surround?
I can’t go in to detail as I did not see the fabric prior to application process, how ever I did see the scales being cast
there was a crew member who’s main job on the show was casting 100s of 1000s those scales and another persons job was glueing them on one by one,

Sithslayer78

I can’t go in to detail as I did not see the fabric prior to application process, how ever I did see the scales being cast
there was a crew member who’s main job on the show was casting 100s of 1000s those scales and another persons job was glueing them on one by one,
...F###.

Also kudos! Your work is amazing and it's awesome to have an actual honest to god primary source here to weigh in!!

kenobibale

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For the most part, collars in the MCU can be attached to the shirt underneath. There really wouldn't be a reason to make it a third piece. It would honestly make the costume tie together less.

Whether talking Cap, or Captain Marvel, or Sam as Cap, or Night Monkey the three parts are Pants, Shirt, Vest. Pants and shirt then get zipped together. I'm not seeing anything that would require anything beyond those three.
Yeah I am with you. Marvel have a design language they have been using for nearly all their costumes since maybe Winter Soldier. Making the pants and shirt into a "1 piece" and then the vest on top. Technically the Cap suits were a jumpsuit then the vest on top, then the collar piece which went over the shoulders and a separate piece down the back of the costume to hide the zipper. And then all tied together with the leather shoulder harness.

I saw it at the weekend and I was looking to see if there was any obvious places for zippers as I imagine the vest closes in the back. But it was hard to tell. They may have different versions depending on the shot to maintain the illusion. Or it may be hidden zippers along the side.

In typical Marvel fashion it is a simple enough looking costume yet loaded with details.

kenobibale

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
that must have been so time consuming. Crazy effort.

Perhaps what we are seeing in between is a screen printed texture that they did to the base fabric, and perhaps that printed texture has a "roadmap" of sorts of were to glue the separate scales? So they were all evenly spaced. This could explain how they are all aligned and also have scales that have fallen off.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.