The Definitive Marvel's Daredevil thread

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by lukester, Apr 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. lukester

lukester Active Member

Like several people I started working on this while watching the new Netflix series. A couple others threads are out there with a "Close enough" items but nothing resembling a definitive thread of confirmed items. I'll post the ones I've found here and update as new items are identified and confirmed.

Reference images:
    The Black Ninja Suit album.
    The Red Suit album.

The Black Ninja Suit:

The Black Mask: Confirmed
    According to this interview with the Costume designer the mask is made using several layers Black cotton mesh fabric. Not as much confirmation as we would like, but its a start.

The Compression Shirt: Confirmed
    McDavid 8840R Men's Compression Shirt Long Sleeve. Black, No M Logo on the chest, correct hexagon pattern on the sleeves. The only thing missing obviously, is the red stitching. That would mean that it was done after the fact by the costume department. Click here for a screen shot that supports this theory. The stitch work is pretty shoddy and doesn't look like something that would be mass produced.

8840R_M.jpg

Elbow pads: Confirmed
    6515R McDavid Hex Knee/Elbow Pads.

6515R_M.jpg

Forearm sleeve: Confirmed
    651R McDavid Hexpad Arm Sleeve
    651R_M.jpg

Velcro wrist strap: Confirmed
    513 McDavid elastic wrist support with red label removed. Click here for more information.

mcdavidwrist.jpg

The Gloves: Confirmed
    Ringers Carbon Tactical Gloves 557

vlbCCZj.jpg XI8RY4J.jpg

The belt: Confirmed
    Levi's Cotton Web Belt Silver Military Buckle.

crQnUUY.jpg

The Pants: Confirmed
    G-Star Powel 3D Tapered in Black.

GSTA-MP160_V2.jpg

The Boots: Confirmed
    Bates E02261 8" Tactical Sport Side Zip Boot.

jNS5Qtc.jpg

Billy Club Box
    Imperial Billiard/Pool Cue PRO 1 Hard Box Vinyl Carrying Case

31QmLaRMEPL.jpg

XI8RY4J.jpg

vlbCCZj.jpg

jNS5Qtc.jpg

mcdavidwrist.jpg

6515R_M.jpg

651R_M.jpg

8840R_M.jpg

crQnUUY.jpg

GSTA-MP160_V2.jpg

31QmLaRMEPL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. SeriousCosplays

SeriousCosplays New Member

WOW! I'm actually making both versions right now. I will definitely add to this post.

3. IndridColdx

IndridColdx Active Member

The arm guards are the following:

71kCe3EvZLL._SL1500_.jpg
    Hexpad arm guards

I am using the following as alternatives, which are much much cheaper (cost me 80$ total)

boots.png gloves.png shirt.png

Knight Watchman likes this.
  4. starlordquill

starlordquill Well-Known Member

5. IndridColdx

6. IndridColdx

I think what needs to be addressed is how the **** is the mask going to be done?
    It slips on like a beanie and has a long tail at the back.
    The material looks like lycra/ribbed cotton
    Anyone have any ideas?

7. Htofstead

Htofstead Active Member

Shirt is sold out in Large on Amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

Dicks sporting goods has the boots for $80

8. IndridColdx

Oh god prepare yourself from a flood of daredevil cosplayers

9. Htofstead

Htofstead Active Member

How did you create his black mask?
    We had to come up with ways to create this mask so that it wasn’t dangerous for him to wear it, but it looked like what we needed it to look like. That was really tricky. It’s made out of a cotton mesh. Layers and layers of it. It has to really conform to his head, but at the same time, he had to be able to see through it. It also had to, in Joe Quesada’s words, 'look really badass.'

- - - Updated - - -

http://fashionista.com/2015/04/daredevil-costume-design

Knight Watchman and lukester like this.
  10. IndridColdx

Very cool!
    if only we know which one... im going to do some digging

Edit: So I did some real quick digging on etsy and google.

I couldn't find something that looked similar to the suit pattern (it looks porous, like a sponge almost sometimes) in yard format, but I tried looking for a scarf version that can either be wrapped around the head or sewn.

Here's what I found:

black-swat-tactical-cotton-mesh-scarf-wrap.jpg
    This is real cheap, it's 15$ for a 2 meter scarf. This technically should be enough, but the designer said they wrapped it around a lot to acheive the look while also maintaining visibility...
    Downside is that i think the spaces are too big. Plus side: cheap and you can get 2 for 1

black-mesh-rannka-unisex-cotton-urban-designer-scarf.jpg
    This one looks a bit tighter, however it's 75$ for less than a meter...into the trash

blackmesh.png
    Here's another one that is even cheaper (9$ for ~1.5meters) Look actually perfect, good tightness in the mesh...However it looks a bit greyish...oh well...

black-swat-tactical-cotton-mesh-scarf-wrap.jpg

black-mesh-rannka-unisex-cotton-urban-designer-scarf.jpg

blackmesh.png

11. lukester

lukester Active Member

That's the same brand I found. I think that's definitely the sleeve/forearm. But as you can see in this screenshot its actually a combination of the forearm sleeve and this elbow pad.

rv8VXCz.jpg

McDavid Hexpad Knee/Elbow/Shin Pad and the McDavid Hexpad Arm Sleeve.

ZVUivzt.jpg SiRzBaA.jpg

ZVUivzt.jpg

SiRzBaA.jpg

rv8VXCz.jpg

12. IndridColdx

Ah! totally right, I just bought myself a pair

13. Captain France

Captain France Jr Member

I've used a hijab for the mask

182181020420151875.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    BobbyS95 and Knight Watchman like this.
  14. RA24_4_Me

RA24_4_Me Active Member

Good reference shot. Instead of being that one, could it have been a shooter sleeve?

http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-HexPa..._sim_sg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VYFFT49MSY41MKGDBKG

15. RA24_4_Me

RA24_4_Me Active Member

Also, wheres all the progress on the pants?? :D

16. Magnus Darcrider

Magnus Darcrider Well-Known Member

That image of the arm pads also shows what kind of belt he's wearing too. Neat.

If the gloves are Ringers Carbon Tactical Gloves 557, what is the strapping at his wrist? I seem to recall whenever he took the gloves off, the strapping remained on the wrist.

And yeah, the pants, mask and stick holster are the only things we still need leads on.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

17. IndridColdx

Cool! Any hijab? How did you wrap it up?

18. LyMovieDude1

LyMovieDude1 Active Member

What material do you think the escrima sticks/batons could be? They look like wood to me.
    daredevil-cox-image-600x338.jpg

19. IndridColdx

Defs wood. Going to cut some wood batons.
    I'm starting to think the holster is custom since holsters only have 1 slot

20. RA24_4_Me

RA24_4_Me Active Member

I did some screencapping after watching a few more episodes today.

Sticks- definitely wood, possibly 1.5 inch dowels?

kvGrV7G.jpg

zr6cs4B.jpg

dXrkRY9.jpg

The holder. Interestingly, I don't see an attachment point on his belt, it looks like its a pair of leg straps holding it on. Probably a custom job.

SVdTJMy.jpg

WoM6JZB.jpg

Here is the wrist strap that was mentioned earlier in the thread

pNn9Gke.jpg

A couple of shots of the elbow pads where some sort of lettering can be seen

xPNY52n.jpg

nLX8Irc.jpg

And a mystery pad that Foggy pulls out of Matt's costume box

Doxmqp2.jpg

Lets keep the momentum going!

21. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

He used motocross leg armour can be seen in Nelson vs murdock the top he wears is called a rashguard you can still get them on eBay better * them up quick.
    does anyone know if he uses the same boots and gloves for his red suit

- - - Updated - - -

Episode 8 you can see the holster I think it's a soft shell with 2 pieces of elastic that he pulls o to his thighs everyone is best making the sticks as real escrima sticks are far longer his are more like 1 escrima stick cut in half

22. RA24_4_Me

RA24_4_Me Active Member

Any screenshots of this? He never actually suits up in that episode, so the only reference of them is when foggy pulls it out of the box. Does anyone have any screen grabs of him actually wearing them in any episode?

23. IndridColdx

Those words on the arm say Hexpad I think so we were right

24. Scouser

Scouser Active Member

Just wanted to chime in that upon doing research on screen grabs I have, the black suit does change through the 13 episodes. The gloves you have listed are in some of the episodes and are used with the red suit with some little spike looking thing on the knuckles, but in the start of the season when he had the Russian on top of the building asking about the boy it was different gloves. They didn't have the same rubber knuckle areas and were more basic in nature.

Thought I would help some people out that didn't want to spend extra money but wanted to be as accurate as possible. Ohh, and unless bates changed soles, I know the red suit boots are Nike SFB if the sole is any indication. I have a nice clear shot of that. I don't know if the boot changed though the show when the gloves did or not, but worth checking on also if it matters as far as gloves and boots matching up if they changed at the same time.

25. NotAShrimp

NotAShrimp New Member

Here's few screenshots of the red costume:

dd.jpg
    daredevilshots.jpg

26. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

I don't think he ever wears them in that scene you can see his suit on the floor I think he has a few different pieces I noticed in one episode his top is all black no red linew which makes ssense with the amount of rips in his suit.

Are we going to be using this thread for the red suit aswel?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think he ever wears them in that scene you can see his suit on the floor I think he has a few different pieces I noticed in one episode his top is all black no red linew which makes ssense with the amount of rips in his suit.

Are we going to be using this thread for the red suit aswel?

27. lukester

lukester Active Member

Yes, this thread can be used for both Suits. I'll add in the Red suit components or fabrics as they are identified.

Just a quick find from me. Not 100% confirmed yet, but this belt looks really close.

Canvas Cotton Web Belt 60" One Size Matte Silver Military Buckle.

TnBxlK4.jpg

HoJGsAV.jpg rv8VXCz.jpg

28. Captain France

Captain France Jr Member

I've used a lycra hijab, but even if I see under, I think Charlie Cox wears an half mask/loup, to maintain the lycra in position on the face.

29. Scouser

Scouser Active Member

I would say that belt is right. However, anybody who spent time in the Navy can tell you there is a female and male version of that belt. Most will never see the female version, but just wanted to say that as a word of caution in case somebody shops for one off ebay. You could get the smaller version.
    I bet I have some of them left over from when I left the Navy. Wish I was going for the black outfit now lol.

30. IndridColdx

This is what I was thinking as well. Did you purchase it from anywhere? Is there anything elastic under the hijab that allows it to stretch?

I was thinking of using a leftover spidey faceshell and sawing it in half above the nose if the shape isnt to my liking

tibberon25 likes this.
  31. Captain France

Captain France Jr Member

32. IndridColdx

Hmm, so I guess Lycra hijab is good.
    I'm still speaking to some cloth people who are giving me opinions on the material.
    I was thinking wearing a long "ninja" bandana underneath to give it the illusion of the bandana. otherwise it will have to be custom made

33. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks to all of the people who are doing such great research and discovery in this thread. This is what the RPF is supposed to be all about :D

Nexus6 and lukester like this.
  34. IndridColdx

Our pleasure, it's fun!

35. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

I've been thinking about the mask and I think there are 2 different versions if you watch episode 6 when he is talking to risk the mask hangs by his nose rather then conforming like lycra would it also has a ribbed pattern I would not be surprised if there was a Hero version made of a solid ribbed material that Charlie Cox could not see very well then an alternative for action that has the eye hole cut out and maybe a black mesh so it is hard to spot from a distance in the shots.
    I actually have a cheep t-shirt and the material has a small amount of stretch and looks very similar to the material used in the show however I would literally be blind having it over my eyes.
    My original plan was to use the top and make loads of needle holes around the eye are that are hard to spot unless upclose but aloe visibility

- - - Updated - - -

I would imagine the only things we can identify from the red suit are the boots and gloves surely the rest is completely Custom? I have a plan for the suit but I won't reveal untill I have tested it I would imaging on the show all the material is screen printed to look like Kevlar because it has to much mobility to be real

36. IndridColdx

That wouldn't be out of the ordinary, movies tend to favor looks over practicality over certain things.
    I would go for what the others have been saying and to use lycra.
    However I was recommended Slinky...not sure what this is. it looks 90% like the ribbed pattern but I dont know if its seethrough

37. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

Screenshot_2015-04-12-23-08-35.png
    Here's a nice shot of the stick holder I was wrong it is seperate tubes for each however it looks very easy to make

38. Scouser

Scouser Active Member

tibberon25 and Knight Watchman like this.
  39. IndridColdx

Yeah, too late for me, I got myself a hard-pvc nunchuk case that looks really cool and allows for the sticks to poke out like the suit.
    I will just need to find some wooden looking nunchuks

40. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

Is that the same case I posted in my thread?
    If you are going for his normal batons the just get so hardwood dowels at 15" and 1.3" diameter would do the job well. Nunchuck handles are way to big for his street sticks however for his red Billy club they would be perferct

Bee researching apparently black scrum is what alot of theatre companies use and the black cotton scrum does have a similar texture to DD'S mask

41. IndridColdx

Technically yes, ideally if we can get a piece of lycra or spandex sewed in the same pattern as a durag but made longer, it would be good. However normal durags are too short and seethrough, so they look weird

Yeah, It's not the same case but I found it on another site but here's an american one for you: http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Claw-Hard-Nunchuck-Case/dp/B00E35G174
    All I would need to do is attach some leg straps which is pretty easy.
    And yeah if nunchuks are too much ill just get some dowels

42. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

Right so I took a closeup of the mask IMG_20150412_232738.JPG and brightened it up to see the texture I also found scrim-500x500.jpg polycotton scrim used in theatre productions as people can see out but no one can see in

Attached Files:

43. IndridColdx

This looks legit as ****, i'm gonna try finding yardage of it...seems expensive

44. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

You can get scrim scarves on eBay for 5.99 double them up for the main mask piece and add another for the back and you have it for under £20 :)

45. IndridColdx

oh thank god, the theater production scrims were like 80$ per yard.

Found some on ali that is 2 for 10$ since i couldnt find any cheaper on ebay.

Looks good, hope I can see through it.

46. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

Apparently you can won't know till it's tested I guest but I thought the textures look very similar to eachother.

The more I loo, at the red suit I get the feeling the black sections are cordura the texture of it is very similar hope it isn't though don't like the idea of cordura around my face unable to breathe lol

47. Thain

Thain Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm really interested in his baton upgrade. They seem to be solid metal, with the majority being a knurled rod painted red. What's really interesting and confusing is the silver sections and the locking mechanism. I've grabbed some screenshots, one of which shows off a clear button of some sort and small holes for the locking system. Does anyone know how these attach/detach?
    Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 6.48.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 6.49.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 6.52.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 6.52.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 6.55.25 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 6.55.58 PM.png

48. Scouser

Scouser Active Member

Some of the screen grabs I have the red and the black material (around the neck and jaw area and leg) have the same exact pattern. I have been looking off and off for a few hours today and can't place the pattern/material. Cordura is close, but my gut is telling me it is different. Just the way it looks in the light and the thread pattern has not matched any cordura I have found yet. I am still looking right now at different types of materials, but so far I can't put my finger on it. I hope I can by tomorrow since I want to order it so have it ready for next weekend.
    DD8.jpg

49. DeJaan13

DeJaan13 Active Member

I recently just finished watching daredevil and I really want to make the red suit.
    I will be happy when someone finds out the materials used for the red suit.

50. Scouser

Scouser Active Member

Well, I was happy for about half a second.... the pattern the red suit's material has is identical to the reverse side of untreated kevlar. Considering how impossible it is to work with kevlar, I am going to get some sleep, hit the gym and start round two of find the main material used bright and early. I am guessing they would not spend the time and money to use neat or untreated kevlar when there has to be something identical in appearance that is 10000% more user friendly.

So guess I will be back here to see if there are any updates around 7am. Best of luck to the rest of you searching.