The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance Netflix Series

Really amazed at some of the stuff theyve gotten away with for a PG show, some of the grossout stuff is just... wow.

Does anyone know if anything in this series contradicts the books or comics that have come out before?

Just watched all 10 episodes. Amazingly done. The tone felt just like the movie 30+ years ago. The hour and a half making of special was fun to watch too!

If you haven't seen the original film, I'd actually recommend you hold off until after this. Let's just say that the film spoils how this series will end. The first episode has a nice worldbuilding narrative to set the scene.

That's because Age of Resistance is a prequel to the movie. I'm not sure where they'd go with a season 2, since the movie slots in almost immediately after the series ends.

How do you figure that? The movie doesn't pick up anywhere near where season 1 ends. It will be really sad if they don't get a season 2 to bridge the gap.

Season 1 takes place 50 years before the movie. Plenty of storytelling to work in between. It would be great to see some flashbacks too, when the UrSeks first arrived on Thra.

I’m on episode 2 now, and while I really appreciate the craft and scope that went into creating the world I find myself with the same issue as the movie, I can’t connect to the Gelfling. They were the puppets that I felt needed the most care to get out of the uncanny valley for the show but fell short. Their facial movements feel the most muppety and singularly articulated. I will still finish the show but it does hamper my enjoyment at times, especially when the voice actor is turning in a great performance while the mouth gapes like a fish.

Absolutely loved the serie! Thinking of re watching it again to be honest...
Lots of nice props too :p

Does anyone know how to create a message with hidden spoiler? Wanted to talk about Deet's vision :p

Absolutely loved the serie! Thinking of re watching it again to be honest...
Lots of nice props too :p

Does anyone know how to create a message with hidden spoiler? Wanted to talk about Deet's vision :p

Test this code, remove the spaces

[ spoiler ] blah blah blah [/ spoiler ]

blah blah blah

Awesome!

I wanted your opinion of Deet's vision. Was it Jen in her vision? I'd imagine, the woman running was Jen's mum, but they do look very similar, I'd imagine Jen is from the same generation of Rian being his great grand father maybe? Also, what do you think of Deet seating in the skeksis throne? Was that just an image of her seating in the "throne of solitude" after being infected by the darkening or you think it is something that might happen?

Okay - sorry to take so long to post these.

Here are some of the photographs I took at the Dark Crystal popup exhibition in London. Hope they're of use to somebody!

Dark Crystal 1.jpg

Okay - sorry to take so long to post these.

Here are some of the photographs I took at the Dark Crystal popup exhibition in London. Hope they're of use to somebody!

View attachment 1058165

Thank you for sharing!!

Loved the show. Especially like the character of Deet.

Definitely recommend seeing the movie first. However, I remembered the movie as long and dull, with annoying screeching voices, but having rewatched it again after watching this series, either I've changed as a person since I watched it, or the show actually compliments the movie in such a way that it no longer feels tedious to watch for me.

Really hope they make more, if they keep the standards this high in terms of story-telling and craftsmanship.

Will this be out on Blu-ray eventually? Really hope so.

Last edited:
Just finished episode 3, I really like it. Set and design are amazing (as expected from henson & co). Only problem I had was that, to be honest, the Gelfings' faces look very similar, so I had trouble telling characters apart, especially when wearing similar costume. However they are starting to focus on only a few characters so it's more followable. The skeksis are incredible and interesting to see them as not entirely evil just vain, petty and selfish -- but becoming consumed by evil. Also, excellent voice work from everyone involved.

I haven't seen the original DK in years, but I have it cued up to watch after I finish the miniseries. Very refreshing to see a long-form fantasy and not an entire complicated immersive universe squeezed into 119 minutes. Really, the only way epic fantasy works properly is a long-form series. It just takes time to build an entire immersive world and a cast of characters. Movie version of DUNE - I'm looking at you...

Watched episode 4 today... 5 tomorrow.... not rushing it :) Im really loving the show. Its utterly amazing to look at and yeah seriously dark for a PG show. But so was the movie as well...

The thing is while this is technically a kids show, Jim Hensons know who the target audience is... 30 and 40 somethings that watched the movie as kids. And i think its because of this theyre keeping with the dark themes and not pulling there punches.

Genuinely loving the show :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back