The Book of Boba Fett

How much time did you spend on those, though? When you're evaluating the cost of the part, don't forget to include union rates for your labour.
A friend cut the pieces out and did the rough forming in an afternoon. I did the planishing and finishing work. Between the two of us... maybe fourteen hours? Granted, that's for the stuff mounted to the plate-carrier vest:

10d1 - Torso armor, painted and weathered.JPG

Vambraces and knees are much more fiddly and, for something like this, better suited to vac-formed plastic or cast fiberglass or like that. For a labor of love like a personal costume, they take ages, so not cost-effective for production. The backplate is optional for this kind of shoot, as, half the time, you wouldn't be able to tell whether he's wearing one, so that can be cast, too. And this version of Boba doesn't have groin armor. But the backplate and groin armor took about the same amount of time again to get where I am with them, and figure finishing should be comparable. It's really not that hard to make, and faster if one has access to more tools than I. I just have a propane blowtorch, tongs, and a couple hammers. If you've got a hydraulic hammer and an assistant, you could get it shaped out in less than half the time.

But honestly I very much doubt it's a money thing. Actors spend all frikken day in those costumes. They want the costume to be a lightweight and comfortable as possible. That's the biggest reason actors pull their helmets off whenever they can - wearing a helmet all day is super uncomfortable. I've done it for larps, and it sucked. (Consider, too, that the vast majority of historical helmets are also open-faced. The Greek Hoplite helmets that the Mandalorian helmets are inspired by were part of a set of kit meant to be worn for a few hours, tops; everyone else makes sacrifices for comfort even those it means they're more likely to get stabbed and, well, die.)
I have wicking undergarments and stay hydrated. The plates are shaped to me, padded, and fastened tight to the flak vest, which is also fitted to me. The finished plates themselves -- the ones shown above -- come to maybe six pounds, with padding and electronics and all. Strapped close and not hanging off me, I barely notice they're there.

Whenever I get around to updating my Mando helmet thread, I'll show the mocked-out cooling system. A couple of small noiseless laptop fans behind the back vent, ducts around the brow band, reduction plenum along the top of the visor to blow fresh air down over my face. Also, padding around my head. The two factors to avoid sweltering in a helmet are: Not allowing room for hot air to circulate around the head, and fresh airflow across the mouth and nose to prevent CO2 buildup. Yes, that adds time and complexity, which equal cost and risk of breakage, but it's certainly not insurmountable.

Heck, how many of us pull our covid masks off the second we get a chance? Three steps out of the store and I'm bare-faced again.
I usually forget I have mine on. Even with having to breathe through multiple layers of fabric. *shrug* Individual experience varies.

Anyway. I expect the show made the paudrons out of plastic to save weight, not money. I'd've prefered it if they'd used a silver plastic and painted it yellow, but I really can't blame them for not making a costume out of actual metal;.
Now you're getting somewhere. Jango's armor was cold-cast resin, polished. The intention had been to paint it like Boba's, but when George saw the buffed pieces being test-fitted on Tem, he liked the bare-metal look and told them to stay with that. They also made aluminum-infused rubber stunt armor. Between that and the urethane resin armor they used for the First Order Stormtroopers in the Sequel Trilogy, they very much have the capability to make opaque armor out of a variety of metal or metallic-looking materials, and didn't. Even painted vac-formed ABS would be more opaque than that. It's unnecessarily cheap. And by now they know how obsessively we pore over the minutiæ of the costumes and sets.

Yeah, I thought he looked cooler all gnarly and scarred up. Unless he was stranded on Tattooine for years wandering the deserts, Im guessing he must’ve escaped the sarlacc more recently than I’d thought since he is only now getting medical help…

Last edited:
I think he was in hiding until a new purpose found him and gave him the push to become something better (but still not 100% good guy.) I took it as he let Cobb Vanth use the armor to protect his town until it was completely safe. Now that he's running Jabba's palace, he has more resources and can obtain new gadgets we've never seen before (being 5 years after ROTJ, who knows what kind of new tech there is) So that could easily explain his healing, but i know it'll be overlooked and never mentioned. I do however hope there is an escape scene and we see what happened directly after he fell in the sarlacc. Even a flashback battle scene from his point of view before falling in would be awesome!

Is this really how far the dive for nostalgia has gotten? Deleted scenes that maybe less than 10% of fans are even aware of?
No different than pulling unused McQuarrie designs, IMO. Not that there's anything wrong with either, but a good idea or concept that wasn't used can be repurposed at a different time without it being forced nostalgia. Especially if, as you said, only a handful of people would catch it anyways.

No different than pulling unused McQuarrie designs, IMO. Not that there's anything wrong with either, but a good idea or concept that wasn't used can be repurposed at a different time without it being forced nostalgia. Especially if, as you said, only a handful of people would catch it anyways.
I suppose, but I feel like the unused McQuarrie designs being reused is a little different, because they’re usually not bad, just a step in the evolutionary process to the final design that did end up being used. But the deleted scene from ANH? There’s nothing inherently great about it that it begs to be repurposed. I guess in my mind, it’s like the Special Editions using the Jabba scene in ANH. Ultimately unnecessary to the story, not that great a scene, and disrupts the pacing.

I suppose, but I feel like the unused McQuarrie designs being reused is a little different, because they’re usually not bad, just a step in the evolutionary process to the final design that did end up being used. But the deleted scene from ANH? There’s nothing inherently great about it that it begs to be repurposed. I guess in my mind, it’s like the Special Editions using the Jabba scene in ANH. Ultimately unnecessary to the story, not that great a scene, and disrupts the pacing.
Ahhh... I get what you're saying. I agree that the Jabba scene was unnecessary, & personally feel like it took a bit away from Jabba in RotJ.

I kinda feel differently about the deleted scene from ANH, cause I think it would've made Luke's story a bit stronger by showing his relationship with Biggs. Ultimately, if the video is correct, it's just showing Tosche Station, & maybe Cammie still just works there, I think that's a neat & valid inclusion.

BUT...

If the entire purpose is to have them sit around & wax on & on about their old friend Luke, then I'm going to feel the same way as the Jabba scene.

The worst part about the ANH Jabba scene (other than the effects) is that it’s redundant when Han JUST had the same conversation with Greedo
That’s my point about these deleted scenes. I feel for the most part, they aren’t like “extended editions” like LOTR, where you just get more story. They just rehash information that’s already been delivered more succinctly and stylistically in other scenes.

If the entire purpose is to have them sit around & wax on & on about their old friend Luke, then I'm going to feel the same way as the Jabba scene.

I would be extraordinarily surprised if there is any indication in dialogue of them knowing Luke. This is clearly a way to canonize an original but forgotten corner of the universe. That said, I could totally see the camera panning past some photos, including one of Fixer and Cammie standing with their friends Luke and Biggs.

So even the Book of Boba Fett can't help but bring Luke Skywalker into it somehow? :lol:

Sorry but it just seems unnecessary.

So even the Book of Boba Fett can't help but bring Luke Skywalker into it somehow? :lol:

Sorry but it just seems unnecessary.
I hate to be THAT guy, but TECHNICALLY....

...the Tosche scene was never included in the Star Wars final film print or the Special Edition, and so was never canon. I see it as a nod to us uber SW nerds, as a sideways call back.

And in related news, US born actress Kathleen "Koo" Stark, who played Camie in the original yet unused Tosche Station film footage, was once Prince Andrew's girlfriend??!! I never knew this.

This is a nice article describing how Koo was almost/maybe/potentially considered for Princess Leia.
Why Koo Stark is the greatest female hero Star Wars never had

koo-stark.jpg

shutterstock_editorial_7526060bu-landscape.jpg

Last edited:
I would be extraordinarily surprised if there is any indication in dialogue of them knowing Luke. This is clearly a way to canonize an original but forgotten corner of the universe. That said, I could totally see the camera panning past some photos, including one of Fixer and Cammie standing with their friends Luke and Biggs.

...and how odd would it be if Boba, seeing that hypothetical holo-picture with Luke, says "hey, that guy looks awfully familiar"

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back