The Book of Boba Fett

I'm not objecting to Tosche Station's appearance so much as mentioning or showing Luke. That would be overdoing it in my opinion. Though this is just speculation anyway and I'm not going to be watching the show so it's not a deal breaker. I just find the discussion interesting from time to time.

Sadly the entire movie industry is like this now

Well, it's not that it's actually new. Almost all of Bogart's best films were popular books or plays first - Casablanca being a notable exception. It's just that a) now other movies are old enough to be those nostalgia mines, and b) we've forgotten about the things older movies are mining, so the movies seem more original than they actually are.

In any case, throwing in references to highly obscure corners of the lore - especially the lore that got squeezed out by Disney - has always been Filoni's thing. Whilst there are times when I wish he hadn't recanonised some things, he certainly never lets those shout-outs get in the way of the story. I'm confident there won't be anything too obtrusive in this one, either.

Well, it's not that it's actually new. Almost all of Bogart's best films were popular books or plays first - Casablanca being a notable exception. It's just that a) now other movies are old enough to be those nostalgia mines, and b) we've forgotten about the things older movies are mining, so the movies seem more original than they actually are.

In any case, throwing in references to highly obscure corners of the lore - especially the lore that got squeezed out by Disney - has always been Filoni's thing. Whilst there are times when I wish he hadn't recanonised some things, he certainly never lets those shout-outs get in the way of the story. I'm confident there won't be anything too obtrusive in this one, either.
I thought you said borat lol

I don't think anyone is realistically upset that books are adapted into movies. There's a world of difference between adapting a novel or play into a film and creating a "franchise" out of a single existing film. Since its inception film has always borrowed from the best of literature and couldn't exist without a writer, so naturally the two happily coexist.

The contention lies in creating franchises out of a single story and Hollywood's insistence that anything that makes money needs to be exploited for financial gain. Sometimes a story is self contained and audiences don't need more of something just because it was enjoyable that one time. Humans crave variety so endlessly telling and retelling the same genre stories in a cinematic universe isn't offering anything meaningful to the audience. In fact its eroding the credibility of the studios that they can't draw on sources other than having to bloat their past successes to keep them solvent.

Again, I'm fine with Hollywood as a business because everyone's got to make a living, but it might help them and their customers if they started drawing their inspiration from things other than exploiting your memories.

Well, we will find out if/how this scene plays out in almost 3 weeks.

From a time perspective, The Mandaolrian was 9 years after Star Wars/ANH, Battle of Yavin.

So it's been about a decade since Luke would have had the chance to hang out at Tosche Station (unless he stopped by 3 years ago, during his visit to Jabba's palace in ROTJ).

Ive never understood criticism of adapting books or plays to film as somehow uncreative. That's just a standard part of filmmaking. It would be like criticizing a painter for using a model.

Oh and Casablanca was based on an unproduced play.

I would think Casablanca is only very loosely based on that play, given that the screenwriters were delivering pages not much more than a day in advance and filming was more than half done before they figured out the ending. But I digress.

I don't think adapting books and plays to film is uncreative. It's certainly less creative - or at least least work - than coming up with something entirely new, but heck, I like to write for fun but the only stories I've ever managed to finish were based on someone else's work. So I'm certainly not throwing stones.

My point is more that Hollywood is about making money, not making art. Hollywood films happen to be art, and the actors, directors, set designers, and everyone else involved are artists, but that's not why the studio made the film. So the studios have always wanted as much "movie" per dollar as they can get, and adapting or referencing popular culture is a good way to get some extra oomph. I'm not arguing that's bad; my point was merely that it's not new. It's the way Hollywood has always worked. Heck, it's pretty normal in storytelling in general; most of Shakespeare's plays are adaptations of earlier works and Homer almost certainly was not the original creator of the Illiad.

Therefore, because this sort of referencing is normal in storytelling in general and Hollywood and Star Wars in specific, I'm not concerned that throwing easter eggs into Book of Boba Fett is going to undercut the story. That's all I was really getting at.

To be honest, I wish it was season three of the Mandalorian starting in another couple weeks. I’m just not that excited for this. I will watch it of course, but I’m just not filled with the same enthusiasm for it as with the Mandalorian.
You are not alone ;)

To be honest, I wish it was season three of the Mandalorian starting in another couple weeks. I’m just not that excited for this. I will watch it of course, but I’m just not filled with the same enthusiasm for it as with the Mandalorian.

I think that's the point. They believe this will whet peoples appetites for s3 and bring in some who might not have otherwise as they wait for S3.

seems to me it would have been smarter to space them 6 months apart if you're doing yearly seasons. I know all these other shows are on the horizon, but i think the only things with actual dates still are BoB, Mando S3, and sort of Obi Wan which i think is still just '2022'...

Also not crazy about Wednesday being the new day for these shows to drop. I usually forget about it in the middle of the week. Friday was much nicer.

Yeah I hate the Wednesday release date. Fridays were nice and a perfect lead into the weekend.

And I feel the same apathy about BoBF honestly. The trailers have been lackluster although I’m hoping it’s because they are holding back all the good stuff. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of what we’ve seen comes from the first episode or two. My other quibble is that I’m just not sure I see Fett being the type that’d even wanna be a mob boss. For me, that’s kind of a weird direction to go with him unless it’s the sort of thing where he discovers he hates it/not suited for it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back