The Book of Boba Fett

I still think they should've just gone with a body double and only used Tem when the helmet was off, similar to what they do with Pedro and Mando.

they sure could.. hell Dicky Beer could still kick my @$$ today, i met him in person. he doesn't put up with any crap! lol
Dicky Beer, 62 years old and still kickin. Man was he YOUNG in ROTJ; he would have been 23 during filming in 1982!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...40b2-8572-0af425d41cfd_1400x.jpg?v=1574822127
EPSON341_2a6f0bb4-c2bf-40b2-8572-0af425d41cfd_1400x.jpg

Last edited:
Dicky Beer, 62 years old and still kickin. Man was he YOUNG in ROTJ; he would have been 23 during filming in 1982!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...40b2-8572-0af425d41cfd_1400x.jpg?v=1574822127
View attachment 1515377
He told me there was a scene on that barge where he used a flame thrower vs luke.. and that he played both roles

So he was dressed as fett thrower the fire

Then he was dressed like luke dodging the fire

Out of everyone he talked the most to me, wicked cool guy

I mean that basically means those shoulder pads were cast in orange resin and not fully painted. If they were painted that color the light wouldn't shine through. You'd think youd at least paint the back.

These are mine, for my custom:

10c1 - Shoulders, painted and weathered.JPG

16-gauge stainless steel, formed, edges rolled, painted with aviation zinc chromate primer (which is exactly the same shade as the Union Pacific Armor Yellow model railroad paint used on the original, amusingly), mid-layer of ATSF Catwhisker Yellow, and top layer of Reefer Yellow carefully applied until it had the right shade. It gets oranger the thicker it's applied. Decal. Weathering powder (wearer's right is finished, left -- with decal -- still yet to be done, when this was taken; comparison between weathered and non). Matte sealer. Masking removed. Stainless steel screw posts epoxied to the short edges for rubber eyelets in the vest, to simplify mounting. Rubber padding from the top edge down to the angle. Back side painted. Total outlay... Honestly, hard to figure. The paints I had on hand and were used elsewhere on the costume and for others. Five bucks' worth of the steel stock I got from a local supplier. It is possible to do inexpensive without being cheap.

I'd say, with the costs spread around, the portion of the outlay that went to these shoulders was under twenty bucks. For the central figure of the series, they can frikkin' afford twenty bucks to make his armor not look like ass.

From some of these shots we’ve seen, as well as some weirdness in Mando season 2 especially, it seems like they might shooting stunt versions of the costume in close-ups. I guess it’s that or they’re really just pinching a penny on this production, which seems self defeating when the Boba episode from M2 was called “fan-filmy”

Transparisteel is already a thing in SW. That’s still a big oof though. Why does this show feel so cheap
If the rumors are true of all the crazy stuff that will happen in the series, I have a feeling we’ll see where the budget went.

From some of these shots we’ve seen, as well as some weirdness in Mando season 2 especially, it seems like they might shooting stunt versions of the costume in close-ups. I guess it’s that or they’re really just pinching a penny on this production, which seems self defeating when the Boba episode from M2 was called “fan-filmy”
I thought the “fan filmy” feel was more related to the shooting location, which felt like local hills (which they were) and not some location in a galaxy far far away.

Ironically, I think that's the only location shooting they've done so far for the series.

As for Boba's questionable suit, yeah the shoulder armor does look cheap but there such a thing as plasteel/plastoid in the GFFA which I think is what stormtrooper armor is made from...not that that provides any confidence since Disney seems content to exacerbate the notion that stormtroopers and their armor are utterly worthless! Lol!

Honestly it has been said before, but if this show is good then we’ll likely just laugh this stuff off later. It’s just weird seeing all these photos and there’s always some wonky thing in it

The Mando Serie was estimated at $15 million per episode. I don't think it's a cheap show. People are crying over that? Please:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
It’s specifically BOBF doing some weird stuff with his armor. It still looks great overall though. I didn’t invoke Mando in the quoted post, only later when talking about shooting stunt props and costumes in closeups.

These are mine, for my custom:

View attachment 1515599

16-gauge stainless steel, formed, edges rolled, painted with aviation zinc chromate primer (which is exactly the same shade as the Union Pacific Armor Yellow model railroad paint used on the original, amusingly), mid-layer of ATSF Catwhisker Yellow, and top layer of Reefer Yellow carefully applied until it had the right shade. It gets oranger the thicker it's applied. Decal. Weathering powder (wearer's right is finished, left -- with decal -- still yet to be done, when this was taken; comparison between weathered and non). Matte sealer. Masking removed. Stainless steel screw posts epoxied to the short edges for rubber eyelets in the vest, to simplify mounting. Rubber padding from the top edge down to the angle. Back side painted. Total outlay... Honestly, hard to figure. The paints I had on hand and were used elsewhere on the costume and for others. Five bucks' worth of the steel stock I got from a local supplier. It is possible to do inexpensive without being cheap.

I'd say, with the costs spread around, the portion of the outlay that went to these shoulders was under twenty bucks. For the central figure of the series, they can frikkin' afford twenty bucks to make his armor not look like ass.

How much time did you spend on those, though? When you're evaluating the cost of the part, don't forget to include union rates for your labour.

But honestly I very much doubt it's a money thing. Actors spend all frikken day in those costumes. They want the costume to be a lightweight and comfortable as possible. That's the biggest reason actors pull their helmets off whenever they can - wearing a helmet all day is super uncomfortable. I've done it for larps, and it sucked. (Consider, too, that the vast majority of historical helmets are also open-faced. The Greek Hoplite helmets that the Mandalorian helmets are inspired by were part of a set of kit meant to be worn for a few hours, tops; everyone else makes sacrifices for comfort even those it means they're more likely to get stabbed and, well, die.)

Heck, how many of us pull our covid masks off the second we get a chance? Three steps out of the store and I'm bare-faced again.

Anyway. I expect the show made the paudrons out of plastic to save weight, not money. I'd've prefered it if they'd used a silver plastic and painted it yellow, but I really can't blame them for not making a costume out of actual metal;.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back