The blasters of Star Wars: TFA discussion thread

I don't buy into the conspiracy that Disney/LFL determine designs based on merchandising. They have tons of stuff to merchandise without having to manipulate the system. Creative people like Lucas and Abrams only care about what makes a great movie.

I don't buy into the conspiracy that Disney/LFL determine designs based on merchandising. They have tons of stuff to merchandise without having to manipulate the system. Creative people like Lucas and Abrams only care about what makes a great movie.

Say that to the Prequels :p

The jury is still out on Abrams, but I will definitely disagree with you on Lucas. The man was a genius businessman. He was the first to really recognize the potential of merchandising for a major blockbuster movie. In fact, Lcasfilm has made WAY more money off of merchandising thatn the movies themselves!

Now, do I think Lucas designed the movies to support merchandising? Not directly. But I can guarantee you that merchandise sales were ALWAYS on his mind. BTW, i don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Lucas' focus helped create modern fandom.

The jury is still out on Abrams, but I will definitely disagree with you on Lucas. The man was a genius businessman. He was the first to really recognize the potential of merchandising for a major blockbuster movie. In fact, Lcasfilm has made WAY more money off of merchandising thatn the movies themselves!

Now, do I think Lucas designed the movies to support merchandising? Not directly. But I can guarantee you that merchandise sales were ALWAYS on his mind. BTW, i don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Lucas' focus helped create modern fandom.

i didn't say Lucas didn't understand merchandising, just that his focus was in regards to making the movie was for the sake of making the movie, not to sell t-shirts, toys, etc...

Did he make his movies to also attract certain audiences like kids? Sure, he always said he did. Making a movie with a certain audience in mind is typical but that is not merchandising.

i didn't say Lucas didn't understand merchandising, just that his focus was in regards to making the movie was for the sake of making the movie, not to sell t-shirts, toys, etc...

Did he make his movies to also attract certain audiences like kids? Sure, he always said he did. Making a movie with a certain audience in mind is typical but that is not merchandising.

I think if you asked Lucas directly, he'd agree with you. I thin, however, if you looked at what he has done overall, it's really more complicated than that. Like I said, I don't think George was thinking, "hey, let's add this scene," or "let's add this gadget" to sell toys. But he's a savvy man, and he's gotten quite rich off of selling Star Wars stuff. His instincts as to what the moves are, and what products to approve have been pretty well spot on. And like I said, it helped create modern fandom.

I think saying he was JUST thinking about making a good movie oversimplifies things. He was also thinking about HOW to make movies (something he has been a lead innovator on), and yeah., how to sell it and make lots of money off it. I mean, how many super special edition VHS's DVD's and BRD's have come out now? ;)

Don't rely too much on the toy. We've had glimpses of the real deal already

If you are talking about what is seen in the teaser trailer, there is very limited info. From what I see, there is nothing about the little accessory which conflicts (within reason for a toy) with what is being seen or in this case, not seen in the teaser. I simply submit that the toy indicates other elements that we have yet to see clearly.

On the figure the holster looks different and the scope looks to be mounted from the top or the left side, with that extra 'piece' at the top.

In the teaser we clearly see the ANH mount on the right side, but the flash hider is blocking where the extra 'piece' would be.

These are on display at NYCC. I'll be there on sat - I'll try to take some good close ups of the blaster.

Edit - Here is a good shot. Almost looks like the ANH scope and mount were removed, turned sideways and mounted to the top :

o9HUIK0.jpg

I've posted this in the DL44 thread as well.

Last edited:
And in other shots of this toy prototype you can clearly see where the mount discs/washers/spacers are meant to be inserted into the right side... where here in this pic you see those spacers pointed up.

Whoever assembled the prototype screwed up. Guys... trust me... The blaster is going to be VERY close to the original ANH hero prop.

With the official Force Awakens poster just released today, there is quite a good reference for the right side of the blaster on the artwork.

I'm guessing the artist referenced production stills to produce the poster.

If so Han's blaster looks fairly standard, but I noticed there is a small black notch in the plate that covers the bottom of the magazine chamber.

I recognise the notch because is doesn't appear on Denix or MGC based replicas, but does on replicas based on air-soft models like my build (the notch is part of the construction of the long magazine supplied with the air-soft gun.

Most people I know who used this model as their base removed this plate from the magazine and fixed it directly over the hole - leaving the notch showing.

Is it possible the production used the air-softs as their base for this film's prop?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back