The blasters of Star Wars: TFA discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Mara Jade's Father, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was wanting to start a discussion of the various blasters of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Now I know there are already some threads and builds going on such as the Stormtroopers' blaster rifle and sidearm.

I was hoping we could share and discuss details of other blaster as we start to acquire more info.

For starters I found this blaster interesting:

IMG_2574.jpg

This is a blaster that comes with the Disney Store Elite die cast 6" Rey figure. Not sure if it is her personal blaster or just something she picks up for a short time and utilizes in the film. I thought it looked interesting and it appears to have some broom handle influences.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. JaxAndTheMoon

JaxAndTheMoon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just noticed that you put "Unleashed" instead of "Awakens" in your starting sentence :p

I've actually been meaning to stay away from certain parts of TFA because I want it as much of it to surprise me as I can, but blasters shouldn't spoil anything for me :) But i agree, it does look a little broom handled influenced. Not very ergonomic IMO, but definitely traditional Star Wars style. This is the first that I've ever seen of it, and from what I know its the only time she's even seen holding a blaster, but I did notice in all of the screenshots that she has a small pouch/saddlebag/holster (or something) on her right hip, which possibly stores this thing. It seems like it might fit, its relatively the same size, and a traditional holders wouldn't fit this style since it wouldn't be wide enough to hold it securely. That's just my idea at least :p Maybe someone else knows more

3. RexKramer

RexKramer Well-Known Member

4. JaxAndTheMoon

JaxAndTheMoon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Captain Phasma blaster appears to follow the same style as the ROTJ blasters, using the Sterling MK V SMG as its base, but then they seemed to put a modern stock on it. The stock appears to be a slightly modified CAA M4 collapsible stock with the sling adapter removed, and possibly a small cheek rest added on to it. It's not EXACTLY spot on, but that's the closest that I can find.
    CaptainPhasma.jpg
    CAA-CBS2.jpg
    sterep.jpg

I got the SMG image from ww.partsofsw.com BTW :p
    I like the idea of using the old design with a little modern style mixed in with it. Since AR15's are the mainstream rifle with their pretty much unlimited customization, I think its a good thing that they're throwing bits and pieces of the modern designs in TFA. It brings just enough of today into it while still nodding back to the OT, without being all flashy like the prequels were.

5. RexKramer

The TFA E-11's are based on the same design as the OT E-11's, but no actual sterling is used.

Some blasters, including Phasma's, have butt stocks on them.

The stock is a Strikeforce AR15 stock made by ATI:

[​IMG]

mugatu likes this.
  6. Mara Jade's Father

Thanks. I fixed it.

I noticed the lack of blasters in the images as well. i think it might be the same thing as when Return of the Jedi Luke back in 1983 also came with a palace guard blaster. I got the figure prior to the movie and figured it was his new blaster. I was a little let down to see that not only was it his, but he only held it for a few seconds. I'm thinking Rey might have limited use of it. But if it does turn out o be her blaster, then awesome. Either way, very interesting design.

- - - Updated - - -

This will probably be the most wanted Star Wars:TFA blaster on my list.

7. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

It's actually not... Close, mind you. But they basically stole the design and changed one or two things about it. Mostly flattening the top of the butt, as you can see here:

12009672_1095252803819687_2135996936007987565_n.jpg

8. Wooly

Wooly Member

9. Nataku

Nataku Sr Member

Are there any decent shots of Han's blaster yet?

10. Mara Jade's Father

Nothing good yet. Just the one shot from the teaser trailer that sort of confirms his blaster will stay true to his previous designs.

[​IMG]

11. Nataku

Nataku Sr Member

It looks more like an ANH than ESB or ROTJ but I'm hoping it's some kinda mix or something new all together. I can't wait to see some new shots of it.

star_wars_poster_full.0.0.jpg
    I've been out of the game for a little while but this movie has reignited my love affair with props. The new stormtrooper blaster creates a stirring in my loins. :D

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    JJ Griffin likes this.
  12. The BDK

The BDK Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Poe's is definitely a sig, looks like the 226 to me grips too long looking for the 229/228. The muzzle kind of looks like an ar flash hider reversed

13. Mara Jade's Father

that looks like it could match the screengrab.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  14. Country Paul

Country Paul Sr Member

I think there was some discussion in another thread that this was a shot of the Han Blaster (part of the TFA Batman/superman crossover thing :lol)

also another shot of Finn's DH-17 style blaster

Attached Files:

15. Nataku

Nataku Sr Member

WHAT? :confused

16. Country Paul

Country Paul Sr Member

:lol During the production of Ep7 & the Batman vs Superman film JJ Abrams & Zack Snyder posted a series of crossover pictures

there was also that video that showed the Tumbler on the underside of the falcon

the "Batman" picture is one that JJ Abrams posted of John Boyega with the Han Blaster, it was taken during production so I guess there is a good chance that it was a filming blaster??

Attached Files:

LorduDesign likes this.
  17. Mara Jade's Father

Using the piece from the Finn Elite figure. Note the grip, trigger guard shape, mag release lever, and selector switch:

image.jpg

H&K G26C (replica pictured). Im not a gun expert so I am not sure if it is another variant of the G26C or not.

[​IMG]

Country Paul likes this.
  18. Country Paul

Country Paul Sr Member

looks like you could be right

l'm liking this so far as I have airsoft versions of the Glock, Sig & this in my loft ready for when some does a run of the conversion parts :lol

very interested to see some reference for Rey's blaster in the first post, looks interesting

I had just convinced myself that I could focus my collection on purely OT props, this thread has shown me that's not gonna happen, I'm gonna want to build some of these down the line :lol

Reelo likes this.
  19. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah I found that pic over a year ago on Boyega's twitter and posted it in the other thread. I'm convinced this is the Han Hero blaster from TFA.

20. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

From my first viewing, this one grabbed my attention....
    image.jpg
    Anyone have any more info on it?

21. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I really, really hate all the blasters from TFA. The white on the ST, using modern guns like Glocks as bases...ugh. (I hated the PT blasters too...hard to please I guess).

22. Wooly

Wooly Member

The flash hider is far too large to be from an AR-15 imo.

23. RexKramer

I'm pretty sure they only used the frame of the P226 as well.

24. Scott D

Scott D Sr Member

Maybe they went with the white paint scheme so licensed replica props couild be sold overseas easier. Less chance of something from the new movies being considered a "replica firearm."

I agree with you concerning the choice of using a Glock as a base for a SW prop. That is LAZY. They should have used a tricked-out Rexm Favor.(sp?)

25. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I know SW has used contemporary firearms before, but...I dunno. I LOVE Glocks, but they're not overly interesting to look at. I hated the Glock in Fury Road too. The big old revolver and sawed off shotgun and the muskets and all that? Cool. Then Glock, with as much class as a black Thermos. In real life? Yeah, gimme a Glock, every time. In the movies? Dressed up WWII gear is far more visually appealing.

Reelo likes this.
  26. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

Everyone keeps saying Glock, but since I don't reall ylike them, I don't know the differences. What model Glock? And how easy are replicas to find?

For the elite blaster rifle, I'm probably going to spring for the Nerf blaster for the grip, stock, and so forth, and mod an older Hasbro E-11 for the base.

And since I'm in a thread where there are a buncha gun experts... Unrelated, but anyone know where one might find nonfiring replicas of obscure (but not necessarily antique) revolvers? I'm specifically looking for a Bison Bull or a BFR. Curious to see if anyone can suss what I want it for. ;) In a pinch, I'll save up for a real BFR, but that's a couple grand I'd prefer not to spend on just a costume prop (though having a firing version might be nice for a fan film...).

--Jonah

27. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

TBF, its a Flock with a pretty rare and high-tech looking PDW carbine kit attached. Most people would not even be able to tell it's a Glock were it not for the distinctive trigger guard (which I agree with you they should have changed).

28. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Aw, quit singling this blaster out for its lack of alteration from its base form. The Sterling L2A3 is barely altered to make the E-11 and it was still in use at the time, the Mauser C96 is incredibly distinctive and they didn't remove or alter anything on it (apart from chopping the barrel), and then there's this beastie:

[​IMG]

And I could go on. This is hardly the first visibly distinctive firearm used for a blaster that was barely altered from its base appearance and any gun wonk would have instantly recognized. And I'm a good indicator of how the general public will see it, as I don't like (and take the time to study the appearance and design cues of) Glocks, so I didn't spot it as a real-world weapon, distinctive trigger guard or no.

--Jonah

29. RexKramer

Lolz the Lando blaster.

30. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

31. RexKramer

Definitely looks close to several Glock conversion kits for sure, but no cigar.

The optic (or whatever it is) is mounted over the ejection port.

I think the shrouds for all the blasters were made in house.

32. tubachris85x

I respectfully disagree. This conversion kit has pretty much all of the main detail points seen with the reference we have. I do believe that they used this as the BASE and modified it, but the overall body and forward section is identical to what we have seen

33. RexKramer

Yeah, with further comparison, it is ABSURDLY close!

Same case as the ATI stock for the E-11:

Copy the design and make modifications to suit the suit the actual prop.

[​IMG]

They definitely modified the top. Is this a CNC'ed kit, or can the rails be removed?

Edit- Doing some snooping around google iamges, it looks like the rails on the KPOS are milled into the design of the kit. I don't think their removable.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  34. tubachris85x

I'm pretty sure they did just that- produced molds (or just removed them directly from the factory conversion kit) and built around it. I think the incorporation of the conversion kit may have been a prop designer's "winging it" build for the pistol. Perhaps they went with the Glock system to maintain functionality of the firearm for filming (ie, firing blanks)

35. Mara Jade's Father

Just a follow up to this post. Here is another image of a blaster that comes with Hasbo's 3.75" figure. As you can see this blaster can have a stock attachment.

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/g.../pages/Review_ResistanceTrooperBAWTFA008.html

36. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And We thought the graflex was the only anh/esb cross over..

Attached Files:

37. Inquisitor Peregrinus

No, no we didn't. :p

scottjua and thd9791 like this.
  38. Mara Jade's Father

I don't understand what a piece of OT based product's artwork (which is most likely the result of the artist utilizing various reference images) has to do with Eps 7 blasters.

39. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Well, Han has his ANH DL-44 (or, at least, a close analogue), so it is technically an Episode VII blaster.

--Jonah

40. Mara Jade's Father

That image has nothing to do with Eps 7.

[​IMG]

Fly4v and thd9791 like this.
  41. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Good eye. I totally didn't catch that that was where that image was cropped from. Yeah, I'm siding with MJF. While we know the ANH DL-44 has been more or less recreated for Han in TFA, that packaging is not TFA related. :p

--Jonah

42. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Welp, I stand corrected. By the amount of merch/product art that has been looked at for TFA clues, and with that contrasting the other new DL-44 images, I thought it was relevant.

43. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

44. Mara Jade's Father

Probably something people already know, but looks like TIE pilots have an all/mostly black version of the pistol.

[​IMG]

45. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

They all should have had black guns IMO, none of this color coordinated so it matches my outfit crap! :lol

46. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

JJ Apple - after his I-bridge in the new StarTrek remake, now I-troopers and I-weapons in SW.

And after 1 or 2 more movies of each he has the design "evolved" in a way he can merge the 2 to "Star Trek Wars". :lol

47. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hmm.. The TFA TIE fighter pilot's blaster does remind me of the blaster that came with the original Kenner TIE Fighter pilot's action figure back in the late '70s.
    I could never find out which real prop (if any) that the action figure's blaster was supposed to represent ...

tiefigurecmp.jpg

thd9791 likes this.
  48. jkno

jkno Master Member

I'm quite sure someone at Disney thought it would be easier to sell toys and props of b/w Nerf type TFA blasters than conversions of real guns like we see in OT

Scott D likes this.
  49. Strongbow

Strongbow Well-Known Member

Except all the blasters we've seen so far from TFA are, in fact, based on real guns... except the stormtrooper BFG, which combines elements of the DLT-19 and T-21 blasters. The F-11D is a modified asterling design. The FO pistol is a Glock 17. The rebel pilot blaster is a Sig P226. The "rebel blaster" Finn carries at one point is based on a G36 variant.

50. jkno

jkno Master Member

I was talking about the black and white paint apps on them. The OT blasters didn't have these "safe" colors. Make an AK-47 in b/w colors and you have a new TFA blaster :p